2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Saved almost 10 from Gabe, could save another 14 from Trent. How much did we save from Tyrell? I wonder if Joyner is next.

If we are cutting Gabe who played well, we sure as hell need to be cutting Joyner who has been terrible in the 2 years he has been here. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I wonder if we will see some contract restructures to help free up space as well. Hudson and Littleton would both make sense with there cap numbers.  

I can’t see it happening.... cuz it happened last year.  You can only push money back so far.

littleton converted most of his 1st year salary to SB AND added 2 void years to the deal on Sept 9th, 2020.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/09/raiders-restructure-lb-cory-littletons-contract
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/cory-littleton-19717/

At best you could convert a little over  4.0M to a signing bonus and spread it over the remaining 2 years and 2 void years to save 3.0M..... but that just more money were going to Eat in dead cap in ‘22 when his deals up and all but ensures he’s on the team next year even if he gets hurt or plays very poorly.  The 3.0M savings absolutely positively isn’t worth the flexibility we’d give up.

Hudson already restructured last year and added 2 void years to his deal on April 1st, 2020.

https://nfltraderumors.co/raiders-restructure-c-rodney-hudsons-contract-create-9-28m-in-cap-space/

I guess technically you could take 8.0M of his 9.55M salary and spread it out over the 2 years plus 2 void years.... to save 6m but at some point how backloaded do you want to be.  We’re already taking on 4.64M in dead cap in ‘22 when his dead automatically voids.... making it 8.64M would make it really hard to resign him even if it’s a short term deal.  You’d almost have to go with a rookie contract C because almost 9M in dead cap plus at least 10M in cap hit on a new Deal would put him at nearly 20M total.

Essentially you picked 2 of the only players we CANT restructure.

But with T.Williams and Jackson already cut.... if we trade/release Mariota and Brown and release Joyner, Heath, Richard we’ll be 39-40M under the cap according to my quick estimates. 

We could use signing bonuses on two top tier Defensive FAs and keep their first year cap hits reasonable.

Example:  I’d never expect this to happen.... it’s the most extreme example of FA spending possible.

Leonard Williams, DT DT      
4y, 78M SB: 24m      

Yr salary  Pro. SB RB Total
21 4 6 0 10
22 7 6 8 21
23 17 6 0 23
24 18 6 0 24
  46 24 8 78

Justin Simmons, FS        
4y, 60M 18m SB      

Yr salary  Pro. SB RB Total
21 6 4.5 0 10.5
22 3 4.5 8 15.5
23 12 4.5 0 16.5
24 13 4.5 0 17.5
  34 18 8 60

You could sign Leonard Williams and Justin Simmons and only have a combined cap hit of 20.5M.

Again.... we’d never have the opportunity to sign both players.... I swear someone will say something like “if you think we’ll sign both your crazy”.... it’s inevitable.  This is solely an example.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

The Backloading the deals is the way to go... as i said above.  But there’s no reasonable way to restructure Littleton and Hudson again.

Agreed.

This BC connection could go a long way. As stupid as it sounds. Johnson said it on IG live. I'm really hoping we land him. Need a premium young vet in the secondary.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agreed.

This BC connection could go a long way. As stupid as it sounds. Johnson said it on IG live. I'm really hoping we land him. Need a premium young vet in the secondary.

I definitely think the Alumni connection is real.

I just am not absolutely sold on JJ3 as a single high safety.  He’s better attacking towards the LOS, not turning and running.  He makes way more plays coming forward... in that zone right after the LBs.  I’m not saying he’s incapable of playing single high FS.... I question if he’s worth a large contract to play FS in a scheme that might not to his best skill set.