2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

12 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Was Nassib bad? It seems like he simply didn't play very much. I don't necessarily put that on Nassib, Guenther has proven he isn't good at deciding who deserves to be on the field.

Wasn't he a healthy scratch Midway through the season due to lack of .... Anything? Unacceptable for that contract.  

18 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Nassib was a HEALTHY scratch twice(I think) for a team that was looking for anyone to rush the passer. I bet him and his agent couldn’t believe the contract offer they got from the Raiders. All team finesse after getting that contract 

Didn't realize it was twice.  👀

I'm not sure Crosby would be any good as a 3rd down pass rusher as his main trait is that he plays every snap with 100% effort. He needs less snaps so he is fresher but think he should play most snaps. Just need that inside pass rush to help him

2 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

I'm not sure Crosby would be any good as a 3rd down pass rusher as his main trait is that he plays every snap with 100% effort. He needs less snaps so he is fresher but think he should play most snaps. Just need that inside pass rush to help him

Hopefully Rod Marinelli is really a defensive line guru and can develop our young guys this offseason. He caught a lot of criticism last year for our decline on the defensive line. But in fairness to Rod he didn't have OTA's or preseason games in addition to a very weird and limited training camp. So he really didn't even get that much time to work with our group on skill development because when he finally got to coach them it was when we we're preparing for games. 

15 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Nassib was a HEALTHY scratch twice(I think) for a team that was looking for anyone to rush the passer. I bet him and his agent couldn’t believe the contract offer they got from the Raiders. All team finesse after getting that contract 

His two years of okay production came while playing on one of the most stacked defensive lines in the NFL in Tampa Bay. As with most of our free agent signings under Mayock we've taken role players that thrived on good teams next to elite players and expected them to come be difference makers for us.

17 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Hurst has been good for where he was picked. Key would be a bust even if he was a UDFA. Hurst still has a place as a rotational DL. He hasn't been as good as I thought (I had him as a top 10 pick before the medicals), but he has been pretty good as an interior rusher. It's not saying much, but he has been the best interior rusher since Denico Autry.

17 hours ago, roi34 said:

same. hurst way more solid though. key really been a dud. but everyone has been so yeah.. 

Hurst has been solid but I was personally just expecting more from him. A lot of people had a late 1st/early 2nd round grade on him coming out of Michigan and then he fell to the 5th round after they found the heart issue at the combine. He had 4 sacks in 10 starts as a rookie and only had 0.5 sack last year as a third year player. I was hopeful that he'd actually become a pretty good starter here. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hurst has been solid but I was personally just expecting more from him. A lot of people had a late 1st/early 2nd round grade on him coming out of Michigan and then he fell to the 5th round after they found the heart issue at the combine. He had 4 sacks in 10 starts as a rookie and only had 0.5 sack last year as a third year player. I was hopeful that he'd actually become a pretty good starter here. 

The issue with Hurst is that he does not hold up against the run. You could cut a highlight tape of him and Collins and a dozen other DTs to make them look like All Pros but an interior player's number one responsibility is to hold up against the run. This is the same issue I have with Barmore (and his relatively low snap count).

Letting Hall go was a big mistake, and I sincerely do not know why the staff disliked him so much. Maybe he didn't go all out in practice, but he consistently held up against the run next to Hankins. The Raiders actually had a decent run defense in 2019.

The Raiders need two starting defensive tackles in free agency. One if they re-sign Hankins.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

The issue with Hurst is that he does not hold up against the run. You could cut a highlight tape of him and Collins and a dozen other DTs to make them look like All Pros but an interior player's number one responsibility is to hold up against the run. This is the same issue I have with Barmore (and his relatively low snap count).

Letting Hall go was a big mistake, and I sincerely do not know why the staff disliked him so much. Maybe he didn't go all out in practice, but he consistently held up against the run next to Hankins. The Raiders actually had a decent run defense in 2019.

The Raiders need two starting defensive tackles in free agency. One if they re-sign Hankins.

Hurst only had 0.5 sack in 2021 so I doubt that you'd be able to cut a highlight tape of him lookig like an All-Pro in 2021. Barmore's low snap count was because he was a backup in 2019 and was hurt during the beginning of the 2020 season. But yeah he definitely need to improve against the run. With a prospect like Barmore though you're betting on his traits, he has all of the tools you look for in a DT he just hasn't put it all together. But when he did flash he looked like a guy with Pro Bowl potential. 

PJ Hall showed up to training camp super out of shape in 2019. So much so that he was being called out publicly by Mayock. They put him on warning and then he showed up so out of shape in 2020 that we traded him and then he was immediately cut by Minnesota because he failed his physical.