2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

With Leo predictably off the market, what vet DT can have any impact pushing the pocket? 

Sheldon Rankins.  Not a sexy name, only 26 but a former 1st round pick who has shown success in previous years.  At 8 million per year I would  be a player.  If he is healthy he is a massive upgrade over what we currently have. 

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Sheldon Rankins.  Not a sexy name, only 26 but a former 1st round pick who has shown success in previous years.  At 8 million per year I would  be a player.  If he is healthy he is a massive upgrade over what we currently have. 

Has been hurt the last two years and has only produced 2.5 sacks for a very good Saints DL. Bring back the key to the defense Maliek Collins aka baby Aaron Donald. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Has been hurt the last two years and has only produced 2.5 sacks for a very good Saints DL. Bring back the key to the defense Maliek Collins aka baby Aaron Donald. 

You have to look for diamonds int he rough considering there is nothing of value on the FA marker when it comes to interior Dline. 

Rankins has shown he can get after the QB at the NFL level and is not just hype like Collins.  Rankins is clearly a risk but he's 26 and has shown he can get it done.  Those are the players we should be targeting.  You start to stack players like that and build depth our D can turn the corner.

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

You have to look for diamonds int he rough considering there is nothing of value on the FA marker when it comes to interior Dline. 

Rankins has shown he can get after the QB at the NFL level and is not just hype like Collins.  Rankins is clearly a risk but he's 26 and has shown he can get it done.  Those are the players we should be targeting.  You start to stack players like that and build depth our D can turn the corner.

We always try to bring in guys on the decline that were good at one point of their career and it never works out. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

We always try to bring in guys on the decline that were good at one point of their career and it never works out. 

I would hardly say he is on the decline, he's 26 and has been injured.  What is your suggestion to address the 3T then? 

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I would hardly say he is on the decline, he's 26 and has been injured.  What is your suggestion to address the 3T then? 

Try to target someone like Levi Onwuzurike or Jay Tufele in round 2. Or fire Mayock and replace him with Jack Easterby and have him pray non-stop that some of our players develop, probably our only option at this point. Maybe David Irving can step up like Waller did. 

Edited by NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

Try to target someone like Levi Onwuzurike or Jay Tufele in round 2. Or fire Mayock and replace him with Jack Easterby and have him pray non-stop that some of our players develop, probably our only option at this point. Maybe David Irving can step up like Waller did. 

So you basically have no suggestion.  Target players in the draft that have proven nothing on the NFL level, at a major position of need and let's just hope they pan out?  That is the best reason you have to pass over Rankins at about 8 per year?

Rankins has proven he can get it done in the NFL, can get after the passer and is stout against the run.  At 26 years old you take a chance on a player like that. 

I wonder how much of an influence Gruden has over Mayock?  I do agree that whover has been making these moves needs to step it up this year or be fired. 

6 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

So you basically have no suggestion.  Target players in the draft that have proven nothing on the NFL level, at a major position of need and let's just hope they pan out?  That is the best reason you have to pass over Rankins at about 8 per year?

Rankins has proven he can get it done in the NFL, can get after the passer and is stout against the run.  At 26 years old you take a chance on a player like that. 

I wonder how much of an influence Gruden has over Mayock?  I do agree that whover has been making these moves needs to step it up this year or be fired. 

Rankins hasn't been healthy or productive since 2018.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Rankins hasn't been healthy or productive since 2018.

That is why you take a chance on him and can get him at a discount.  That is called searching for value....

The Giants took a shot at LW, got him for dirt cheap and struck gold.  Rankins is a former 1st round pick who is 26 and has proven that he can get after the passer as a 3T.  At 8 per year you take that risk.

Like I said you have no legit suggestion as to who to target as a 3T and you would rather "hope that D Irving" can be that guy?  Yikes....

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

6 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That is why you take a chance on him and can get him at a discount.  That is called searching for value....

The Giants took a shot at LW, got him for dirt cheap and struck gold.  Rankins is a former 1st round pick who is 26 and has proven that he can get after the passer as a 3T.  At 8 per year you take that risk.

Like I said you have no legit suggestion as to who to target as a 3T and you would rather "hope that D Irving" can be that guy?  Yikes....

$8M prove it deal during a year that the cap is going down for a guy who has 3.5 sacks over the last two seasons playing on one of the best defensive lines in football? Yikes...

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

$8M prove it deal during a year that the cap is going down for a guy who has 3.5 sacks over the last two seasons playing on one of the best defensive lines in football? Yikes...

"A first-round selection in 2016, Rankins can be an asset when healthy, something he’s struggled with in the last two years, having missed ten games in that span. Moreover, he’s started just one game in the last two campaigns after starting 32 consecutive games from 2017 to 2018.

Over his five-year career, Rankins has appeared in 63 games, starting 33 and registering 116 total tackles (25 for a loss), 17.5 sacks, three passes defensed and three forced fumbles. His best year came in 2018, when he logged 40 total tackles (14 for a loss), eight sacks, one pass deflection, and one forced fumble.

If Rankins had been healthy in 2020, he would’ve likely been one of the top free agents this offseason but he isn’t and may have to agree to a short deal to prove that injuries haven’t robbed him of his effectiveness. Also, the fact plenty of NFL teams are strapped for cap space may reduce his number of potential suitors.'

That is called value at a major position of need.  You clearly have zero legitimate suggestions as to how we should address the 3T position.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz