GDT Week 6: Sunday Night Football - New York Giants @ Denver Broncos

iLikeDefense

New York Giants (0-5)  Denver Broncos (3-1)
large.png @ Image result for denver broncos
Sunday Night Football, October 15, 2017 – 6:30PM MST - Denver, CO
Line:  11.5

Injuries: Injury Report

Key Matchups:

CJ/JC/Booker vs NYG’s Front 7: CJ and JC have been dynamic and have really made things easy for Siemian. We are averaging 143 rushing yards per game that is in the top 10 of the league. The NY Giants are giving up 139 rushing yards per game and they sit near the bottom of the league in that category. Ultimately, we will need to ground and pound our way to victory because…

NYG’s Pass Rush vs Denver’s OL: Bolles and Watson have allowed a combined 31 total pressures. That is an alarming number, especially against a team that has JPP and Vernon on the edge. The NY Giants team as a whole has only produced 8 total sacks, half of which came from the two mentioned earlier. Expect Watson to get help from Green/Heuerman. I think Bolles has started to settle down so here’s to hoping he can improve enough so we can really give help to Watson because he is simply too slow and has horrible balance.

Denver’s Front 7 vs NYG’s OL: Our defensive front might be thinking they are playing against the 2016 Denver OL, that is how bad this NY Giant squad is. I’d imagine Shaq will be getting quality looks at Eli all game given most teams are doubling and chipping Von. Having some inside rush will be nice to make Eli get rid of the ball early and off target to force some turnovers. I would like to see some of our depth players get some burn for experience and much needed rest for Von and Shaq. I think we ultimately own this match up.

Other Matchups: Denver’s Redzone O vs NYG’s Redzone D, Evan Engram vs Denver’s LB/Safeties.

My Prediction:

I see us winning but not sure, if we win big or barely hang on. This team should really be able to win in all 3 phases and we tend to play great during prime time games. I say we win 24-6. We go up two scores early and speed up the game with a heavy dose of run, run, run/pass, punt football.

Interesting tidbit from PFF: Ron Leary is the only guard in the league with more than 40 pass blocking snaps to not allow a single pressure. Remember that was the question many had about him playing between Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick, he was a known commodity in the run game. His matchups with Snacks Harrison this week will be fun.

Elway continues to add the right pieces at the right time year after year. Gave us defensive playmakers in Talib and Ware few years ago, now giving us sorely needed toughness in the trenches in Peko and Leary.

Well, now Sterling Shepard, their only active WR from Week 1, is in a walking boot.  O.o

IF the G-men were creative, they'd use Engram as a WR, and then slide another TE into Engram's spot, and use both Gallman and Vereen with one in the backfield and 1 in the slot.  That could actually give us more problems than trotting out more warm bodies at WR.  However, HC, Ben McAdoo, while being a decent if unspectacular OC, hasn't shown much at all as a HC, yet still calls the plays (and has been pretty awful doing so).   I will be interested to see how this goes re: their O.

Still, even with the above, as long as we don't turn the ball over 3x+, we should take this handily.  27-10.  

I expect Denver to come out early and take a lead and then sit on it and go vanilla. Especially with a 3 game road trip coming up. Of course, I'd love if we made it a point to blow them out of the water (which might happen organically anyway).

I'll go with 27-7 Denver.

Hoping for Trevor to get some confidence in the first half, then we can just sail on an efficient offense that stresses the run (will be a fun weekend to watch snap counts for RBs I am sure). Thomas and Sanders gotta be hungry right? Let's get them some catches.

Slightly worried about Engram though, he seems like the type of guy that poses match up problems for us. However with their extreme lack of run game, hopeful deficit in points, and literally practice squad WR i think we can make them one dimensional and game plan around Engram. Very excited for Von and Shaq to feast this weekend.

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

Now DRC is suspended. If we lose this lame duck game heads will roll

Have you seen the Vegas lines?

DEN is -700.  You have to bet 700 bucks to win 100.  WOW.

I'll take DEN -11.5, thank you very much.   I think the line might get 14+ by the weekend, and Vegas might remove it altogether.

12 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I am just going to post this here. What do we do when Ray and Butt are eligible to be placed on our active roster? Do we IR Paxton and cut someone? Maybe we leave Butt on IR as like a redshirt sort of a year and just activate Ray.

cut heurman 

16 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

I am just going to post this here. What do we do when Ray and Butt are eligible to be placed on our active roster? Do we IR Paxton and cut someone? Maybe we leave Butt on IR as like a redshirt sort of a year and just activate Ray.

16 hours ago, champ11 said:

cut heurman 

If we need 2 spots, I think IR'ing Butt is the nobrainer call.  Butt's going to need time to digest the full playbook, outside of QB, TE is the hardest position to learn, with all the option routes, blocking assignments and blitz pickups/recognition.   

As for the 2nd, well, we have 3 more weeks to worry about that...

Archived