GDT Week 6: Sunday Night Football - New York Giants @ Denver Broncos

iLikeDefense

20 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I disagree that it's on Olivo that McManus is in a slump. I think that's solely on McManus.

McManus. got paid - if he is in a slump then it is up to Olivo to either give him an unmerciful boot in the rear end or put an arm around him (which ever is appropriate). The guy has talent and the coach is responsible for getting the most out of that talent.

15 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

McManus. got paid - if he is in a slump then it is up to Olivo to either give him an unmerciful boot in the rear end or put an arm around him (which ever is appropriate). The guy has talent and the coach is responsible for getting the most out of that talent.

This is absolute nonsense. 

33 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

This is absolute nonsense. 

I agree as well.

Hard to blame Olivo for McManus short comings since being paid.

Now if our ST gave up a TD or were repeatedly late coming on to the field for punts and fgs, then sure go ahead and blame him.

McManus has always been a heart attack waiting to happen. He was utterly dreadful in 2014 and was replaced by Barth. He kicked well in 2015 early on but struggled down the stretch. He was fairly decent last year but even still I really miss having the sure thing that was Matt Prater. It’s time to bring in competition for McManus. We won’t be able to cut him this year due to his contract but we could definitely carry two kickers. 

38 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

McManus has always been a heart attack waiting to happen. He was utterly dreadful in 2014 and was replaced by Barth. He kicked well in 2015 early on but struggled down the stretch. He was fairly decent last year but even still I really miss having the sure thing that was Matt Prater. It’s time to bring in competition for McManus. We won’t be able to cut him this year due to his contract but we could definitely carry two kickers. 

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't McManus statistically accuracy wise the best kicker Denver's ever had?  I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Obviously he isn't Jason Elam who did it for 15 years in Denver, but McManus no doubt has talent (he maybe be the strongest legged kicker in the league) and had proven it early in his career in clutch situations as well.

He's definitely in a slump and one he may never fully come out of.  He just looks petrified right now to have to kick the ball and the mental aspect of that position is far more important than anything.  If you have no confidence bad things happen.  I compare it to grabbing the worst club in your golf bag (for me the 3 wood) and never being fully committed to hitting a quality shot because in the back of your mind you're thinking about all the bad ones. 

17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

He's definitely in a slump and one he may never fully come out of.  He just looks petrified right now to have to kick the ball and the mental aspect of that position is far more important than anything.  If you have no confidence bad things happen.  I compare it to grabbing the worst club in your golf bag (for me the 3 wood) and never being fully committed to hitting a quality shot because in the back of your mind you're thinking about all the bad ones. 

And it is the job of the coach to sort this out - that is what he is paid for, maximising the talent at his disposal.

I will say that I think this is the least of the problems at the moment.

23 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Nah, I don't think so. A coach is just a  glorified teacher. 

One of the main functions of a teacher in any area is to maximize a students potential.

I disagree with the assumption that this is on Olivo. Olivo can't go out and scheme a player to make a kick.  The best he can do is coach up some mechanics, but this doesn't seem like a mechanics thing.  As I said he looks completely terrified to attempt a kick.  They can try and work on his confidence, but that still ultimately falls on McManus to get over it.

The old saying continues to ring true, when a team plays well it's because of its players, when they play poorly it's because of the coaches.

In this case had McManus drilled every kick this season not a single person would be pointing to Olivo and the exceptional job he's done coaching McManus, but when he misses kicks all of a sudden Olivo isn't good at his job.

This is all on McManus pure and simple.

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Nah, I don't think so. A coach is just a  glorified teacher. 

One of the main functions of a teacher in any area is to maximize a students potential.

This is 0% Brock Olivo's fault. 

What separates the Adam Vinatieris, David Akers, Jason Elams of the world isn't/wasn't their special teams coordinator- it was their ability to deal with the psychological adversity that comes with being a professional kicker. It was the traits that you CAN'T coach that makes great kickers effective.

It's purely psychological and it's messing with McManus's psyche. He needs to kick his way out of it (or kick rocks).

We are facing a critical junction for this team.

Will the Broncos try to maximize whatever potential is left for this season or begin to prepare for the future.

If there is one year to be a below-average underwhelming team missing a couple of center pieces for concrete success in the future, it is this year. In any case, not that we already have lost two games but the way we lost this season is troubling. Paired with out strength of schedule, one might as well open the cutlery tray and grab a fork... just in case.

4 hours ago, BroncoinGermany said:

We are facing a critical junction for this team.

Will the Broncos try to maximize whatever potential is left for this season or begin to prepare for the future.

If there is one year to be a below-average underwhelming team missing a couple of center pieces for concrete success in the future, it is this year. In any case, not that we already have lost two games but the way we lost this season is troubling. Paired with out strength of schedule, one might as well open the cutlery tray and grab a fork... just in case.

Welcome back! I don't think I've seen you post on the new forum yet.

I have to admit I've started to think the same way. It's a bit too early but like you stated we have a rough road game stretch and could easily go 0-3 in that stretch.  Then the decision becomes simple, tank for a QB or a elite talent.

I have been as big a Siemien fan as there is on this board but his play has been steadily declining since his phenomenal two game start. I understand that the OL isn't doing him any favors, but we live in a era where the vast majority of OL's are outmatched by the opposing defense, so you simply must have a QB that can deal with that pressure constantly or hope to be one of the few (4-6) teams with acceptable, 'no holes' type OL's.

I subscribe to the notion that if you don't have a, at the VERY least, top 20 QB then you should be looking to improve on the position each offseason. Right now Trevor is playing like a sub 20 QB. I am not willing to fully write him off, but he simply looks bad and is playing more like a Brian Hoyer level stopgap/elite backup than the QBOTF I hoped for. The next 3-4 games will dictate whether he survives as a starter in this league or is relegated to a career of backup roles. I wish him the best.

Archived