Chase Roullier highest graded player for 49ers game

turtle28

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Shocking to me that he graded out higher than Chase Young but, while I may disagree with that it’s very, very promising that the other “Chase” is playing so well this year. Re-signing him is a MUST to me!

And to think I thought I was the only one who’s noticed this guy playing good football despite his PFF grades atleast their catching up. He’s a solid player. I think his grades have struggled due to youth beside him and lack of continuity. He has IMO always been solid at the position and at times looked like he was taking the next step. Nice to see his grades reflecting what I’ve seen individually from him for the last season plus if you go back to the end of last year where I though he played really well.

• Like 2

My offseason plan has always involved signing Corey Linsley to a sizeable FA deal. He’s an absolute star, and I‘ve been thinking it’s the kind of addition that could elevate the whole OL. 

HOWEVER.

The way Roullier has been playing is making me re-think this. The Carolina approach was always to reward and keep your own, and I think that might be the right approach at C. Instead of splashing big in FA for a star center, perhaps we should just look to keep our own, who is darn good (not to mention younger and hopefully a good bit cheaper). 

At this point, I’m thinking about a scenario where we keep Roullier and Scherff, and hope that perhaps Andrew Norwell becomes a cap casualty in Jacksonville. Which seems rather likely, given that they’re awful and that he’s carrying a $15M cap number (with $9M in savings if released). He’s been a bit of a disappointment there, but he was a star for Rivera and Matsko in Carolina and that could prove to be a heck of an interior OL. Expensive, but perhaps a luxury we could afford for a couple seasons if we were still cheap at LT and the skill positions.

• Like 1

I am still baffled that we didn't resign E Flowers ..... buttt, I will say this - good riddance Trent Williams. I don't miss you at all and honestly, I doubt you woulda been a good fit in this regime with your emo attitude.

Could you imagine? Trent huffing and puffing about a cancer scare and Ron walking around after a chemo/radiation treatment - in the midst of a global pandemic with a compromised immune system?

Edited by Troublez
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

My offseason plan has always involved signing Corey Linsley to a sizeable FA deal. He’s an absolute star, and I‘ve been thinking it’s the kind of addition that could elevate the whole OL. 

HOWEVER.

The way Roullier has been playing is making me re-think this. The Carolina approach was always to reward and keep your own, and I think that might be the right approach at C. Instead of splashing big in FA for a star center, perhaps we should just look to keep our own, who is darn good (not to mention younger and hopefully a good bit cheaper). 

At this point, I’m thinking about a scenario where we keep Roullier and Scherff, and hope that perhaps Andrew Norwell becomes a cap casualty in Jacksonville. Which seems rather likely, given that they’re awful and that he’s carrying a $15M cap number (with $9M in savings if released). He’s been a bit of a disappointment there, but he was a star for Rivera and Matsko in Carolina and that could prove to be a heck of an interior OL. Expensive, but perhaps a luxury we could afford for a couple seasons if we were still cheap at LT and the skill positions.

I'd be all for Norwell depending on the cost. We can't lose sight of the fact that while Scherweitzer is not great, he's definitely a serviceable guard. And, past that, we still have Saahdiq Charles who had an injury plagued rookie season, but you certainly can't think he's going to be injured every year at this point. He had a quad injury in camp which happens, then a dislocated knee cap is kind of a freak injury. He was having surgery on it to strengthen the ligaments or whatever so, I have to assume he'll be good to go next year. 

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

I am still baffled that we didn't resign E Flowers ..... buttt, I will say this - good riddance Trent Williams. I don't miss you at all and honestly, I doubt you woulda been a good fit in this regime with your emo attitude.

Could you imagine? Trent huffing and puffing about a cancer scare and Ron walking around after a chemo/radiation treatment - in the midst of a global pandemic with a compromised immune system?

It was a lot of things with Trent, as well all know, it probably had more to do with him wanting a new contract and wanting to win rather than continuing to play on a team at the end of his career that was rebuilding for the 5th time in his 10 year career in DC. Trent was just done with it all. He also knew everything going on with Alex etc, etc on top of his own issues so that gets thrown in there too.

I think with Flowers it came down to the team wanting to re-sign Scherff long term and I don't think it's wise to be paying $25 plus million a year for your starting guards. If we had re-signed Flowers and re-signed Scherff, we would have been paying $25 plus million for our guards for the next 4 or 5 years or whatever and I don't think that's wise for your cap allocation. On top of that we were changing our blocking scheme to a zone blocking scheme and giving an OL who's only played in a man blocking scheme $11 million a year when you don't know how he will perform in the ZBS is a major risk also. So, when you put those two things together, that's why IMO Flowers wasn't re-signed.

Roullier is the only pending FA I think is a must-sign.  Scherff is still an injury concern, but Roullier is in the prime of his career.  The amount of QBs he's had to play with definitely hurts the perception of him at times, because it is yet another guy he has to get in synch with for snapping the ball and calling out audibles and assignments.  While he isn't a top 5 center in the NFL, he's certainly in the top 10, and not the bottom feeder that some in here thought he was (which was really baffling to me.) 

• Like 1