Will the Bengals coach get the ax?

FinSting

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

The hoopla has been that Gase will be the first coach fired at season's end. Didn't realize he's not even the worst coach. So does worst coach get fired too?

The funny thing is, looking at those coaches and then comparing talent, Taylor certainly hasn't done the worst job lol. 

That being said...if you're going to really rebuild with a #1 overall pick and all that, you have to give him more time. The roster is not good. There is only so much a guy can do, and honestly, this Bengals team was always a longer rebuild. Will he make it through the other side? Probably not. But I do think he will get more time. FTR, nothing he has done makes me think that he's ready to be a coach or that he's going to be a good head coach from what I have seen in dependent of the record, but I don't watch a ton of Bengals games either. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He and the dude from GB were both the next McVays, right?

Zac Taylor was a one-year QB coach after being the assistant WR coach there. Previously, he was actually with Miami as QB coach for a couple seasons (2013-2014) before being promoted to OC in 2015 but he was dreadful in that role with us.

Either way, obviously he was hired for the McVay connection but he was on absolutely nobody's radar as a serious coaching candidate prior to the press catching wind he was the favorite to land the job with the Bengals.

Absolutely no one called him the "next McVay". The talk was more about "When does the Rams' water boy get a HC gig, now?"

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Zac Taylor was a one-year QB coach after being the assistant WR coach there. Previously, he was actually with Miami as QB coach for a couple seasons (2013-2015) before being promoted to OC in 2015 but he was dreadful in that role with us.

Either way, obviously he was hired for the McVay connection but he was on absolutely nobody's radar as a serious coaching candidate prior to the press caught wind he was the favorite to land the job with the Bengals.

Absolutely no one called him the "next McVay".

On the bright side, at least the Bengals didn't sell him to the fanbase as "friends with Sean McVay" :D:D:D:D

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

yeah, time to make a splash and hire a really good coach

Easier said than done. Plus, did anyone expect the Bengals to be any good this year? They're still rebuilding.

I'd keep him for 1 more year unless someone awesome becomes available and for some reason wants to go coach in Cinci.

Yes he was one that was a reach in the first place and should have never been given a HC opportunity his inexperience as a Coordinator let alone a HC is alarming. With that said I doubt it happens because that means the Gm failed who is also the owner of the bengals and something like that cant be an easy response. What the appropriate thing to do is sit back and hire a GM then find an acceptable HC. Unfortunately for certain organizations the Owners are the root of the issue and they need to realize that they are successful in other areas but not football. As for taylor you could easily can him for his horrible coaching and inability to manage this roster effectively. The job is appealing because of burrow and a top 3 pick in the draft, at the same time it is unappealing because the owner refuses to allow the organization to run without his involvement.