Week 15 GDT - Broncos vs. Bills

broncosfan_101

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah I’ve never thought we wouldn’t see Fangio get a Year 3, it’s just concerning to see a game like that at this stage where guys on your side of the ball quit on a play. 

I mean they’ve competed all year and he left starters in during a blowout.  I don’t read much into it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

No chance Brittany Bowlen stands pat?

Who are some rich yuppies in the Rockies?

Brittany was just hired by the team (Ellis) last year and was given the perfunctory title of VP of Strategic Initiatives, whatever that is.

In that time she was tasked with overseeing everything related to the organization’s COVID response. How’s that gone? 

But since she hasn’t been working for the team for 5 years she is ineligible to take over as owner, which was one of Mr. B’s stipulations. 

From what I understand all 7 Bowlen kids have to sign off on the one who becomes controlling owner. No way that is happening given the wrath and acrimony between the two factions. Plus the NFL just announced they will fine any team without a controlling owner $10m per year until it’s settled. Almost immediately, the Titans settled their ownership issue. 

This franchise doesn’t have $10m to just piss away. This team will be sold at some point in 2021. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Brittany was just hired by the team (Ellis) last year and was given the perfunctory title of VP of Strategic Initiatives, whatever that is.

In that time she was tasked with overseeing everything related to the organization’s COVID response. How’s that gone? 

But since she hasn’t been working for the team for 5 years she is ineligible to take over as owner, which was one of Mr. B’s stipulations. 

From what I understand all 7 Bowlen kids have to sign off on the one who becomes controlling owner. No way that is happening given the wrath and acrimony between the two factions. Plus the NFL just announced they will fine any team without a controlling owner $10m per year until it’s settled. Almost immediately, the Titans settled their ownership issue. 

This franchise doesn’t have $10m to just piss away. This team will be sold at some point in 2021. 

It has to be. I never thought that Brittany would ever be the owner, anyway. Bowlen should have sold this team around 2008-09 rather than putting it in the hands of the trust.

For as much as it was a cautionary tale not to ready too much into Lock's playing well vs. CAR, we should realize BUF is a top 5 pass D.   So yesterday was going to be a tall order.    But it's more the problems we saw that give more reason to worry for 2021.

Lock's major problems are 3-fold IMO:

1.  He's still terrible with his footwork against pressure - backfoot, flatfoot.    

2.  As others alluded to, he has such little anticipation.   He has to see the receiver break open, then he pulls the trigger.  The problem with that is he ends up being late.   It's also why he misses guy breaking wide open, because he can't see the receiver in a winning position so often.   It's why Jeudy beats his guy, but the ball seldom goes his way, because Lock's last big problem....

3.  He's just so skittish now with pressure.  

He was better at taking what the D offered him...in the 1H.  The 2H, though, was ugly.   

Again, BUF is a top 5 pass D.   So struggling isn't a solitary experience for Lock.   Herbert and Big Ben were taken to school by the same D.   But the difference?   We've seen sustained success by Big Ben (although his deep ball might be shot now), and of course Herbert's performance against other good D's have been eye-opening (the MNF NO game really stands out - way to go HC Lynn lol).   It's just that for the great flashes we see with Lock - they're countered by the awful moments far too often.

Still, I think we're not headed for a complete overhaul there - but this game should reinforce the notion we're likely bringing in an established vet for competition (and if Lock wins, then as support vs. injury).   I also think we're most likely seeing Fangio/Elway & Lock combo heading into 2021 - the Q will be which vet Lock is paired with IMO.

• Like 1

Little late here, but that game went about exactly how I would have expected it to. One tidbit I enjoyed during the game was the comment about how Lock had zero experience with protections in college. Not shocking given the nature of the college game, but tells me quite a bit- he still doesn't seem to have it figured out. The defense basically quit, at least the secondary, but then again we were playing the backups of the backups, so kinda hard to get a true gauge. It was good to see Will Parks out there- he shouldn't have been let go in the first place, IMO.

Overall, it is what it is. As was mentioned earlier, we will roll into 2021 with the continuity of coaching (barring any resignations, retirements, etc) and give Lock another try. I am warming to that idea, if only because I don't love the QB class this year. Would like to see us bring in a vet behind Lock that can win games though. Enough of this trash backup QB stuff- bring in Fitz, Jameis, whoever, and at least give us a fighting chance instead of Jeff Driskel.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Little late here, but that game went about exactly how I would have expected it to. One tidbit I enjoyed during the game was the comment about how Lock had zero experience with protections in college. Not shocking given the nature of the college game, but tells me quite a bit- he still doesn't seem to have it figured out. The defense basically quit, at least the secondary, but then again we were playing the backups of the backups, so kinda hard to get a true gauge. It was good to see Will Parks out there- he shouldn't have been let go in the first place, IMO.

Overall, it is what it is. As was mentioned earlier, we will roll into 2021 with the continuity of coaching (barring any resignations, retirements, etc) and give Lock another try. I am warming to that idea, if only because I don't love the QB class this year. Would like to see us bring in a vet behind Lock that can win games though. Enough of this trash backup QB stuff- bring in Fitz, Jameis, whoever, and at least give us a fighting chance instead of Jeff Driskel.

If we go the vet route and land on Ftiz, it will be he who starts as Vic will be coaching for his job next year and/or to impress the new owner. 

On 12/21/2020 at 8:29 AM, broncos67 said:

I'll take Matt Stafford for anything less than a first rounder please

I’d love Stafford, he’d be a GREAT fit for the things Shurmur actually wants to do, but I can’t see the Lions trading him for anything less than a real haul that includes at least one 1st. Why would they do that unless the plan is just to go in full tank mode? They have the same chance of landing Lawrence/Fields/Wilson as we do.

I don’t think we actually have a shot at landing any good QB this offseason. Knowing that, which option makes the most sense? Probably Lock with a hedge.