Week 15 - Rams vs Jets

RamRod

5 hours ago, MDY10 said:

I definitely disagree here. A coach can prepare a team and game plan and do whatever before a game. A coach can not.. and SHOULD not need to make players who are being paid to play the game WANT to play. A coach can not and should not have to motivate a team so much to want to play and win. Mcvay said all week they aren’t over looking them. He said all week that he knows they’re tough. He knows that upsets happen.. what can he do or say to a team to make them wake up wanting to fight?? Thats about heart and pride. You have captains for a reason. McVay isn’t always great but he did enough to win yesterday. He can’t make players block.. not make dumb interceptions, hold, clip, etc.. 

if anyone has a chance to listen to what Ryan Clark talked about this morning, be my guest because it’s word for word what I said over the last few weeks. Goff is just a guy. He can not lead a team. He can not put a team on his back when his team is struggling. He’s done it once? Twice maybe? He isn’t a guy that can make it work when he doesn’t have perfection around him. NOT SAYING THIS IS ALL ON HIM this time but he wasn’t great either. He once again showed that when his team needs it most and are struggling, he doesn’t pull them out of the trouble by being a 110 million dollar QB who is paid to make plays and win games. There was some problems but it wasn’t every single play. 

Anyone who’s played team sports, especially football can tell you that. 

problem is most guys haven’t played team sports and have an emotional attachment to someone and they don’t understand how important intangibles is in order to be considered the best or near the top of your position 

14 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

McVay is a top 5 coach. Goff is a top 20 QB 

don’t put those last two calls on McVay. If Goff went through his progressions like a competent QB should then he would’ve had a first down. 

I can’t get how you guys can blame McVay because of Goff not being a franchise QB. 

there’s no way McVay is holding Goff back other QBs would kill to be in his place 

Let me ask you this. If you call a play where Goff is asked to look for a specific matchup for his primary read and you get that matchup, what do you think Goff is going to do? Here's a great article on Josh Allen with some commentary from Kurt Warner on QB play:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/part-ii-the-pressure-is-on-josh-allen

This passage, in particular, stood out to me:

“That’s why he (Mahomes) has a chance to be the best ever,” Warner says. “Because he has ridiculous athletic ability and throwing ability. But he does process. He sees nuances.

“Now you go back and you look at that and go, ‘Ah! Maybe that’s more than just a young guy who stared at his receiver until he got to his fourth window. Maybe that was a really mentally talented quarterback that could see a bigger picture than we gave him credit for in college. … And it looks like the Chiefs were the only ones who could really pinpoint that and go, ‘Ah, what he’s doing is not all these wild and crazy things.’ He’s doing this because he has a mental capacity to see beyond what the play is designed to do.”

So many other quarterbacks are robots. Ask them to do anything outside of rhythm and they’re screwed. They panic. They run. Not Mahomes. When the defense tries to throw Mahomes off with a disguise, a blitz, a stunt — something Reid could not prepare him for — he finds a solution. He is what Warner calls creative “within the play.” He makes the right play again and again and again (like Brady) with the freakish gifts.

-------------------------------

I love Goff's talent, but he's a robot at this point in his career. If you call a play where Goff's primary read is Everett and tell him he's supposed to look for a certain matchup, Goff is going to throw that ball when he gets that matchup. You can blame Goff for not being better, but if McVay is the offensive guru you and I believe him to be, it's his job to know his QB and to give him a play that will maximize his chances of success there.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Anyone who’s played team sports, especially football can tell you that. 

problem is most guys haven’t played team sports and have an emotional attachment to someone and they don’t understand how important intangibles is in order to be considered the best or near the top of your position 

This is ridiculous. I not only played team sports, but I used to work in sports. Goff has brought us back a number of times. The idea that he can't lead is bull. Y'all continue to heap supposition after supposition on your pile of grievances because it's easier to scapegoat Goff when the team comes up short.

• Like 2

Just now, jrry32 said:

This is ridiculous. I not only played team sports, but I used to work in sports. Goff has brought us back a number of times. The idea that he can't lead is bull. Y'all continue to heap supposition after supposition on your pile of grievances because it's easier to scapegoat Goff when the team comes up short.

Wasn’t talking about you Jerry. I think you and I can agree to disagree. And honestly speaking, I hope you’re right. 

but most fans do come off having an emotional attachment to someone and blindly follow him/her. See Carson Wentz

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Wasn’t talking about you Jerry. I think you and I can agree to disagree. And honestly speaking, I hope you’re right. 

but most fans do come off having an emotional attachment to someone and blindly follow him/her. See Carson Wentz

You said, "Anyone who’s played team sports, especially football can tell you that." Well, I disagree with that point, yet played football, worked in football, and coached football before I became a lawyer. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, Rocky. You know I like and respect you. But I think you're sweeping a bit too broadly with that statement. Goff will have his chance over the next 3+ weeks to show what he can do when it matters.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Let me ask you this. If you call a play where Goff is asked to look for a specific matchup for his primary read and you get that matchup, what do you think Goff is going to do? Here's a great article on Josh Allen with some commentary from Kurt Warner on QB play:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/part-ii-the-pressure-is-on-josh-allen

This passage, in particular, stood out to me:

“That’s why he (Mahomes) has a chance to be the best ever,” Warner says. “Because he has ridiculous athletic ability and throwing ability. But he does process. He sees nuances.

“Now you go back and you look at that and go, ‘Ah! Maybe that’s more than just a young guy who stared at his receiver until he got to his fourth window. Maybe that was a really mentally talented quarterback that could see a bigger picture than we gave him credit for in college. … And it looks like the Chiefs were the only ones who could really pinpoint that and go, ‘Ah, what he’s doing is not all these wild and crazy things.’ He’s doing this because he has a mental capacity to see beyond what the play is designed to do.”

So many other quarterbacks are robots. Ask them to do anything outside of rhythm and they’re screwed. They panic. They run. Not Mahomes. When the defense tries to throw Mahomes off with a disguise, a blitz, a stunt — something Reid could not prepare him for — he finds a solution. He is what Warner calls creative “within the play.” He makes the right play again and again and again (like Brady) with the freakish gifts.

-------------------------------

I love Goff's talent, but he's a robot at this point in his career. If you call a play where Goff's primary read is Everett and tell him he's supposed to look for a certain matchup, Goff is going to throw that ball when he gets that matchup. You can blame Goff for not being better, but if McVay is the offensive guru you and I believe him to be, it's his job to know his QB and to give him a play that will maximize his chances of success there.

Yes! That’s my point exactly! He’s robotic. He needs McVay to make it easy for him. In essence that’s holding us back 

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You said, "Anyone who’s played team sports, especially football can tell you that." Well, I disagree with that point, yet played football, worked in football, and coached football before I became a lawyer. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, Rocky. You know I like and respect you. But I think you're sweeping a bit too broadly with that statement. Goff will have his chance over the next 3+ weeks to show what he can do when it matters.

My point was lead in the sense that when the team is down and nothing is going right, he gets the team together and puts them on their back and says “ok guys I’m gonna win this game for us” just need you guys to do...this, this and this. 

I def think he’s a leader in the locker room but now it needs to show more on the field   Not by talking, but by actions 

Also, what did you do when you worked football? 

Edited by rocky_rams

21 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Didn't know we had an ex athlete here 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

My point was lead in the sense that when the team is down and nothing is going right, he gets the team together and puts them on their back and says “ok guys I’m gonna win this game for us” just need you guys to do...this, this and this. 

I def think he’s a leader in the locker room but now it needs to show more on the field   Not by talking, but by actions 

Also, what did you do when you worked football? 

Worked in Football Operations for a NFL team.

6 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Nice. Are you able to say which team? Or signed NDA?

I signed an NDA, but it wouldn't cover that. It was a Florida team. It shouldn't be too hard to tell which one lol. I'll leave it at that.

Edited by jrry32

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I signed an NDA, but it wouldn't cover that. It was a Florida team. It shouldn't be too hard to tell which one lol. I'll leave it at that.

I still have no clue. It’s a 50/50 toss up lol

but that’s dope. Law is a good choice. I’m a business owner and in order to be a great entrepreneur you need a great attorney and great CPA 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I still have no clue. It’s a 50/50 toss up lol

but that’s dope. Law is a good choice. I’m a business owner and in order to be a great entrepreneur you need a great attorney and great CPA 

Yeah, I had to make a call on whether or not I wanted to go into scouting or to law school. The scouting life wasn't for me, so I chose law school. I figured I could get a law degree and then practice sports law, but sports law is actually really boring. So I went another direction and get to do work that I find interesting and challenging. But it's not remotely sports related, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I had to make a call on whether or not I wanted to go into scouting or to law school. The scouting life wasn't for me, so I chose law school. I figured I could get a law degree and then practice sports law, but sports law is actually really boring. So I went another direction and get to do work that I find interesting and challenging. But it's not remotely sports related, unfortunately.

Law is great if you have the stomach for it.

I find it very interesting, especially business law. I’d stay away from criminal law personally. 

litigation can also be draining I assume.

I would much rather be the advisor and have clients settle all day like most do nowadays lol