Week 15 - Rams vs Jets

RamRod

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

I think jrry covered most of this post already, but you seriously say not to put those last two calls on Mcvay? He called the plays.

If you know you're going for it on 4th, and you have two downs to get 4 yards, you don't call two deep routes. Yes, Goff could have (and should have) hit a shorter option on the one on 4th, but that wasn't his primary read. His primary read had the matchup they wanted. You're babying Mcvay the way others criticize the way some baby Goff. He made those play calls (after calling a WR screen to Malcolm Brown the previous drive on 3rd and 15 nonetheless). You can put slack on just about everyone after this game for different reasons including a ton on Goff, but the playcalling falls on Mcvay and I'm not even sure how you can justify defending that.

Goff is what he is, and what he is is what the majority of QB in the league are. Great with protection, serviceable when they roll out, and scary when the pocket starts collapsing. We're not the only team with a QB like that.

So Goff is not a Rams, he's a sheep. 

You told him to throw to primary read because that's the matchup Mcvay want.

But if the recever doesn't win the route or he's well covered and that he forced the pass, because he's too slow to process the second or third read, it's mcvay fault ?

There's no question to ask, we just have to deal with this ? 

We paid a 35 milllions dollars to do this kind of **** and it's normal.

You guys are so hilarious. There's only in this section of this forum where i can read BS like that.

2 minutes ago, Flounch said:

So Goff is not a Rams, he's a sheep. 

You told him to throw to primary read because that's the matchup Mcvay want.

But if the recever doesn't win the route or he's well covered and that he forced the pass, because he's too slow to process the second or third read, it's mcvay fault ?

There's no question to ask, we just have to deal with this ? 

We paid a 35 milllions dollars to do this kind of **** and it's normal.

You guys are so hilarious. There's only in this section of this forum where i can read BS like that.

What are you even talking about?

I criticized the playcall. It was a bad playcall. Can a bad playcall end up working out? Sure, but that doesn't mean it was a good playcall.

If I say Goff had another bad game and missed the better read on that bad playcall, will it make you feel better? 

4 hours ago, JonStark said:

I think jrry covered most of this post already, but you seriously say not to put those last two calls on Mcvay? He called the plays.

If you know you're going for it on 4th, and you have two downs to get 4 yards, you don't call two deep routes. Yes, Goff could have (and should have) hit a shorter option on the one on 4th, but that wasn't his primary read. His primary read had the matchup they wanted. You're babying Mcvay the way others criticize the way some baby Goff. He made those play calls (after calling a WR screen to Malcolm Brown the previous drive on 3rd and 15 nonetheless). You can put slack on just about everyone after this game for different reasons including a ton on Goff, but the playcalling falls on Mcvay and I'm not even sure how you can justify defending that.

Goff is what he is, and what he is is what the majority of QB in the league are. Great with protection, serviceable when they roll out, and scary when the pocket starts collapsing. We're not the only team with a QB like that.

So now it’s McVays fault for Goff not throwing accurately or not progressing through his reads? 

you know that’s how playcalling works? Especially McVays. He gives a high, medium, and short option to the QB and the QB DECIDES where to throw it.

If his first read his open then the QB needs to accurately make the throw. If he’s not then you progress and hit your next read and so forth. 

Most QBs get similar plays calls all the time. The top QBs know how to progress through reads. They don’t just lock on to the primary read and if they do, they usually make an accurate throw

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Well, the Jaguars' only win is over the 10-4 Colts, the Jets' only win is over us, and the Bengals just beat the 11-3 Steelers. Those are the teams currently slated to have the first 3 picks in the Draft.

I get your point. But that’s still not 95% 

it’s about 6% other than us if we’re being accurate 

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

So now it’s McVays fault for Goff not throwing accurately or not progressing through his reads? 

you know that’s how playcalling works? Especially McVays. He gives a high, medium, and short option to the QB and the QB DECIDES where to throw it.

If his first read his open then the QB needs to accurately make the throw. If he’s not then you progress and hit your next read and so forth. 

Most QBs get similar plays calls all the time. The top QBs know how to progress through reads. They don’t just lock on to the primary read and if they do, they usually make an accurate throw

Please show me, where did I blame Mcvay for Goff not throwing accurately or progressing through his reads?

I said it was bad playcalling. Having two downs to get four yards and calling two plays where the primary target is going deep is bad playcalling. Calling a WR screen to Malcolm Brown  on 3rd and 15 the drive before was bad playcalling. What I'm saying has nothing to do with Goff or bailing him out for making the wrong read. He did. 

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Please show me, where did I blame Mcvay for Goff not throwing accurately or progressing through his reads?

I said it was bad playcalling. Having two downs to get four yards and calling two plays where the primary target is going deep is bad playcalling. Calling a WR screen to Malcolm Brown  on 3rd and 15 the drive before was bad playcalling. What I'm saying has nothing to do with Goff or bailing him out for making the wrong read. He did. 

If Goff hit Akers for  first and goal or Everett for the game winning TD would it still be bad play calling?

If anything, it’s McVay overestimating Goff’s consistency 

Edited by rocky_rams

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

If Goff hit Akers for the first and goal or Everett for the game winning TD would it still be bad play calling?

If anything, it’s McVay overestimating Goff’s consistency 

Yes, it would have. Just because a play works doesn't make it a smart playcall. 

Just now, rocky_rams said:

What if Goff hit Kupp or Akers on their short routes when they were both open? 

would it still be a bad play call?

When you have two downs and need 4 yards, yes it would have been. The Rams were running over the Jets once Williams went out. There is no excuse not to run in that scenario. 

Let me ask you a question now. If a team only needs a few kneel downs to secure a win, but instead throws a deep touchdown pass, is that good playcalling just because it worked out?

58 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It's hilarious watching people defend a play call taking a deep shot to a RB playing on a high ankle sprain. 

Yeah, I don't know why he didn't put in Henderson on that play. Hendo is great on HB wheel routes and is faster than Cam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I have no issue with the screen to Brown. McVay doesn't seem to trust our protection on 3rd and 11+.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

When you have two downs and need 4 yards, yes it would have been. The Rams were running over the Jets once Williams went out. There is no excuse not to run in that scenario. 

Let me ask you a question now. If a team only needs a few kneel downs to secure a win, but instead throws a deep touchdown pass, is that good playcalling just because it worked out?

Thats completely different than the situation at hand with the play calling we are talking about 

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

But how do you know this ?