If DC Brandon Staley is gone - hired by Chargers

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea, as I said earlier, hes going to get interviews, but if you look at the list of the other candidates they have requested, you can tell these teams cant get out of their own way with the old guard. 

I agree. The thing that makes me nervous is a team like the rams (when they hired Mcvay) will see he’s a genius and young and could literally be the defensive Version. Teams are desperate to have the next young golden boy.

However, one thing that makes me feel better is that he’s a defensive mind and teams like the jags, Jets, chargers, all have young or are about have very young QBs and most would want them with an offensive mind. I think. What do I know lol

7 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

What do I know lol

Oh yea none of us know with this stuff. We’re all just reading yea leaves. 

We could lose to the Seahawks and he’s gone by Monday. But to me, it’s going to take a visionary GM and an Owner who is ready to get out of the Old Boys Club cycle to get him a job, and I’m just not sure that’s going to happen this year with these openings

• Like 1

Man I hate this. There should be a rule that a coordinator can’t leave a team for three years lol. imagine us having LaFleur and Staley at the same time! 

but if Staley gets picked up, I wonder if we can recruit another Fangio guy 

Edited by rocky_rams
5 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

but if Staley gets picked up, I wonder if we can recruit another Fangio guy 

He’s almost definitely gone. The question will be is it this year or next

Im not going to pretend to know who new DC candidates are, but I do trust McVay to make the right choice here. 

Im mostly hoping that we can keep Staley one more year so Sean can focus on finding a new Special Teams Coordinator this year and then the DC next

Jim Leonhard's name is popping back up. McVay really liked him last year, but went with Staley. He may get the nod over Pleasant.

Former Safety and Punt Returner in the NFL. Now DC for Wisconsin. Runs a 3-4, but I believe different than Fangio's.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Jim Leonhard's name is popping back up. McVay really liked him last year, but went with Staley. He may get the nod over Pleasant.

Former Safety and Punt Returner in the NFL. Now DC for Wisconsin. Runs a 3-4, but I believe different than Fangio's.

Leonhard is brilliant. The question is if he'd leave Wisconsin.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RamRod said:

Another interview lined up with the Texans

Of all the Teams I’m worried about grabbing Staley, the Texans are low on that list. Doing that would definitely fracture the already tenuous relationship with DeShaun, basically signaling that they are willing to Trade one of the best QBs in the league. I don’t see that happening.

On top of that, it has sounded like they might already be zeroed in on EB, and there are whispers that they have been talking to his preferred coaching staff to get them lined up and ready if the Chiefs have another deep Super Bowl run

So it sounds like Urban is locked in for JAX, that Arther Smith is the favorite for ATL, and EB to the Texans is being set up behind the scenes.

That leaves DET, who I think were seriously looking at Harbaugh, but now are probably laying out the homecoming carpet for Saleh (thank you for getting him out of the division). Then the NYJ, who I wouldn’t be shocked if Peterson forced his way out of Philly to team back up with Joe Douglas, if not him then I don’t know (but all rumors have been offensive leaning). Said PHI opening, which I’m not sure any coach who is a “hot name” would go to with what Peterson just went through, they will probably have to dip to a lower tier of candidates or a retread. And finally, the one I’m actually worried about, the LAC. It would be a perfect situation for Staley, but my only hope is they are more focused on finding an Offensive mind to hitch to Herbert for the long haul. 

So saying all that, my new predictions are as follows (in order of confidence): 

• JAX - Urban Meyer
  • HOU - Eric Bieniemy
  • ATL - Arthur Smith
  • DET - Robert Saleh
  • NYJ - Doug Pederson
  • LAC - Brian Daboll
  • PHI - Duce Staley

Im a 50/50 toss up with LAC between Daboll and them taking a shot with Joe Brady (although I think Brady may lay in wait to see what happens in CIN next year). And I think PHI tries to salvage the locker room and rolls the dice with Duce. That way if it all falls apart in 2 years it’s easier to walk away from him than it would be to do that if they take a big swing at a Lincoln Riley

• Like 1
On 1/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, StLunatic88 said:

• JAX - Urban Meyer
  • HOU - Eric Bieniemy
  • ATL - Arthur Smith
  • DET - Robert Saleh
  • NYJ - Doug Pederson
  • LAC - Brian Daboll
  • PHI - Duce Staley

So I’ve gone 2/3 (well really 2/4 as I cant get the Lions job right, and in no world would I have gone with Campbell, so I’m not going to pretend that I would have gotten that before the reports)

And now sounds like the Chargers have zeroed in on Daboll, I still think Bieniemy is the move in Houston (especially to salvage the Watson situation) and Philly has created a real mess for themselves, so that was always going to be a dart throw

Wrong Staley for the Eagles. While I'm not saying it's impossible, I honestly don't expect Lurie to go back to back on people affiliated with Andy Reid, and especially not someone who was coaching under Pederson. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:41 PM, jrry32 said:

I trust McVay to make the call. Staley wasn't even on my radar. Obviously, if Vic Fangio gets fired, I'd do cartwheels if he replaced Staley.

All accounts are that Fangio is safe for this next year and that the 2021 season will be used to evaluate him by the new GM (the one replacing Elway).  Fangio had/has been on my radar as a guy to possibly hope for as a Staley successor, were he to be hired away after next season.  With the Bears also searching for a new DC, after Pagano failed - for the most part - at taking over the reins for Fangio there and has now retired (IIRC), so there may be some competition for guys that run that sort of scheme.  I feel like at some point you do have to give Pleasant the shot or you risk losing him.

That said, there's a bit of morbid curiosity in me that wonders - just because they're both incredibly-smart-and-they-know-it types - if McVay wouldn't hit it off with someone like Matt Patricia (who I actually do think is a quality DC, just was either out of his depth or had an inability to self-evaluate and correct as an HC).