PFT: Should Gruden be getting more heat?

beardown3231

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/17/does-jon-gruden-get-judged-by-a-different-standard/

Would love to hear your guys' thoughts on this

Nationally I think the stereotype is all Raiders' fans love Gruden, so I'm interested to hear all of your thoughts on him 

Production based business.  I love Gruden, but if you said another coach would give us perennial playoffs... Bye Jon. 

56 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Nah the offense is good... defense is the liability, and the draft has been okay. MM been in charge the last two drafts. Crazy, but it’s debatable if Kolton Miller was best 1st rounder of the past 3 years. Which was a Gruden pick 

The draft has been BAD, Miller, Jacobs and Mullen are the only starting players, zero pro bowlers.

Gruden is the HEAD coach, he's not the OC. He also got unprecedented money and full control. He definitely deserves criticism. He gets some pass to fix the defense since he's done work with Carr. But he's got to get results. I think he has 2 more years without a playoff birth. That's an insane leash for a HC. 

Yes, he should. 

He singlehandedly lost us this game with his bull$#it playcalling. 

His decision making is awful. We are playing a CB at S and a S at CB. We continue to run PA rollout on and goal downs. We don't deviate from running Jacobs even when he's not been effective. 

Tonight was potentially the worst performance I've seen all season by a coach. 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Nah the offense is good... defense is the liability, and the draft has been okay. MM been in charge the last two drafts. Crazy, but it’s debatable if Kolton Miller was best 1st rounder of the past 3 years. Which was a Gruden pick 

Imagine paying a guy 100 mill and all he has to do is make the offense ok. Lololol. 

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

Gruden is all soundbites, Long play names and hats. He is stealing Mark Davis money

LOL sad but you're right.  Highway robbery for the results he has shown.  Look at Mark Davis, taking money from him is like taking candy from a 2 year old.  if he thinks that haircut looks good, I would question everything he does.  Is that the look of a winner?

nfh0xpst9r831.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 1

Gruden best year with us was 2001. He went 2-4 in December in January. End of season trash is nothing new to him. The two wins was vs  3-9 kc, and 5-9 chargers. And the losses was vs bad teams for most part to. Nobody remembers how bad we was cause all they remember is the tuck rule, which is shouldn't have even came down to that. 

I think team would be better with a better defense. But this gruden is being careful cause defense is bad is bull. The defense will get better and he will just get more conservative and weird with his play calling. 

56 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Gruden best year with us was 2001. He went 2-4 in December in January. End of season trash is nothing new to him. The two wins was vs  3-9 kc, and 5-9 chargers. And the losses was vs bad teams for most part to. Nobody remembers how bad we was cause all they remember is the tuck rule, which is shouldn't have even came down to that. 

I think team would be better with a better defense. But this gruden is being careful cause defense is bad is bull. The defense will get better and he will just get more conservative and weird with his play calling. 

History unequivocally shows that Jon Gruden can't build a roster, he can only inherit them. 

In 14 total seasons, he's managed to draft Charles Woodson, Cadillac Williams, Davin Joseph, and Aqib Talib. The rest were bums or it's too early to say. But outside of Miller, who is the 10 year starter on this team signed/drafted by Gruden or Mayock? Jacobs will probably be like most RBs and get DeMarco Murray'd. Ruggs? Based only on potential at the moment. Ferrell? Abram? Mullen? Arnette? None of them have shown cornerstone ability. If every one of them played the way they have so far, Mullen is the only one who would still be here come 2025, and even then his play has been adequate with some flashes sprinkled in. 

I'll say this- Gruden MIGHT be being careful because the defense is bad. But that's not an acceptable excuse. The only "good" defenses he ever had were inherited. He's never really built squat. He caught lightning in a bottle with Gannon and proceeded to stake his reputation on Brad Johnson, Shaun King, Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, Josh Johnson, Brian Griese's petrified body, Jeff Garcia's reanimated corpse, and the hope and prayer of enticing Jake Plummer not to retire. That alone doesn't inspire confidence. Take a gander at his choices on D over the years (Ryan Nece....lol). Woodson and Talib are the only true blue dominant defensive players ever drafted by a Gruden team, and his total years coaching the 2 is like 3? My confidence in him ever making this D better is nonexistent because he's never proven capable of doing so. Frankly, we were more consistent under Jack del Rio. Not as randomly flashy, but consistent and played tough. I'd kill for Reggie Nelson, Justin Ellis, Malcolm Smith, Khalil Mack, Sean Smith, Shilique Calhoun, David Amerson, and TJ Carrie right now. Those 8 alone could probably field a better defense than the 11 bums we have out there playing pattycake right now.