PFT: Should Gruden be getting more heat?

beardown3231

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Part of the problem I see is Gruden has final say. Mayock and others in the organization really liked Lamb reportedly. Gruden wanted his "Tyreek Hill" which didn't look like a fit when he took him and 1 game to go, has yet to find any use for the #12 overall pick. 

Gruden is not adept at identifying talent but has final say. That doesn't work. That's why you hire a guy like Mayock. Mayocks year 3 will be telling.

I don't think it was necessarily the wrong pick but Gruden's inability to get Ruggs involved has been weird. As has his preference to play Witten over Moreau who is clearly a much better player at this point in his career. IIRC, someone posted a stat showing that Ruggs is leading all rookie WR's in yards of separation per play, so he is getting open, we're just not getting him involved. Ted Nguyen from the Athletic has said the same thing, that when you watch the film Ruggs is getting open consistently but Carr just isn't looking for him. So you also have to ask how much of it is on Carr as well, because we saw something similar with Amari Cooper at the end of his tenure here. Carr just wasn't looking for him and then he went to Dallas and has been a 1,000+ yard guy for 3 consecutive years. 

Edited by NYRaider

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Part of the problem I see is Gruden has final say. Mayock and others in the organization really liked Lamb reportedly. Gruden wanted his "Tyreek Hill" which didn't look like a fit when he took him and 1 game to go, has yet to find any use for the #12 overall pick. 

Gruden is not adept at identifying talent but has final say. That doesn't work. That's why you hire a guy like Mayock. Mayocks year 3 will be telling.

If this is true then it is a Mark Davis problem and he needs to put Gruden in his place.

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/las-vegas-raiders/post/_/id/24588/raiders-owner-mark-davis-on-henry-ruggs-iii-the-only-person-i-wanted-in-this-draft%3fplatform=amp

or maybe it was Mark Davis ?

"He was," the Las Vegas Raiders' owner said of Ruggs, "the only person I wanted in this draft."

Just now, NYRaider said:

He pretty much gave Gruden all control when he gave him that 10 yr/$100M contract.

There has to be a way to put a leash on him.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think it was necessarily the wrong pick but Gruden's inability to get Ruggs involved has been weird. As has his preference to play Witten over Moreau who is clearly a much better player at this point in his career. IIRC, someone posted a stat showing that Ruggs is leading all rookie WR's in yards of separation per play, so he is getting open, we're just not getting him involved. Ted Nguyen from the Athletic has said the same thing, that when you watch the film Ruggs is getting open consistently but Carr just isn't looking for him. So you also have to ask how much of it is on Carr as well, because we saw something similar with Amari Cooper at the end of his tenure here. Carr just wasn't looking for him and then he went to Dallas and has been a 1,000+ yard guy for 3 consecutive years. 

He was a 1000 yard reciever here also except for 2017 when the wheels fell off.  2018 did not start off great for him and Carr also.  Something changed with Cooper and Carr in 2017 and I believe it was Carr because something changed with Carr and the entire team in 2017.

7 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I'm sure Henry Ruggs reminds Mark Davis of Cliff Branch, and Cliff was extremely close to Mark. Mark even represented Cliff in contract negotiations against his dad and they were roommates in LA.

3 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I'm sure Henry Ruggs reminds Mark Davis of Cliff Branch, and Cliff was extremely close to Mark. Mark even represented Cliff in contract negotiations against his dad and they were roommates in LA.

This. Davis even made a comment at the time about Gruden getting his Cliff Branch finally.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Our obsession with trying to find guys that resemble Raider greats who were good 30-40 years ago is weird. 

This happens across the league good and bad examples. Cowboys and Raiders on one side, Steelers and Patriots on the other. Personally staying in the past doesn't help

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Bingo! Ruggs is leading the rookies in separation which means his QB is is not getting him the ball. Also coaching staff isnt using his game breaking speed in the offense

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Bingo! Ruggs is leading the rookies in separation which means his QB is is not getting him the ball. Also coaching staff isnt using his game breaking speed in the offense

Careful with stats like that and small sample size. W/o that Chiefs game I wonder how his stats would look

I never liked the Gruden hire to begin with. However, he ended up taking the rebuild approach and I decided not to judge him much the first three years as long as we float around .500. 

2021 will be the year I really start to analyze Gruden. If he has Carr still, then a playoff berth is mandatory. Or both of them need to be on the hot seat in a Make or Break Season in 2022. No playoffs, you’re fired. 

If he decides to get a Rookie QB and start him, I’ll give him one more year of .500 ball to develop the QB. 

Edited by BayRaider