PFT: Should Gruden be getting more heat?

beardown3231

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Dude got 3.4 touches/game in his soph and jr seasons in college but you thought he was going to become high volume as a rookie. But that's because the WRs at Alabama were so good! Guess what, most WRs in the NFL are good too.

You're now putting words in my mouth. I did not think he'd be a high volume WR. I did think he'd have more impact than 2 TDs on the season and more purpose than running go routes and pre snap motion. 

To simplify my argument and move on. There is a real problem for me taking a guy #12 overall and getting no impact from him. 

The Raiders had 5 picks in the top 100, commented all offseason about getting guys who could play immediately and ended up with zero to show for it. 

Has any team ever done less with more high end draft picks? 

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

To simplify my argument and move on. There is a real problem for me taking a guy #12 overall and getting no impact from him. 

We agree there but i don't blame coaching for that, i blame drafting the player in the 1st place. Ruggs was never going to be a huge factor year 1. Now they got to do what they're paid to do to justify the pick, coach him up.

Edited by oakdb36

55 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

We agree there but i don't blame coaching for that, i blame drafting the player in the 1st place. Ruggs was never going to be a huge factor year 1. Now they got to do what they're paid to do to justify the pick, coach him up.

Lots of gems and hot takes in there lol

18 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

nobody is saying ruggs is some elite polished receiver already. we are aware he has to develop, and that it takes time. 

but you don't have to be a finished product to get touches. don't have to be a finished product to be involved. the guy has gamebreaking, game changing speed and we aren't utilizing that whatsoever except as a decoy on occasion. as a coach, you have manufacturer touches to your gamebreakers if you have to. you don't go away from a kid you invested so much into because of the few mistakes he's made when he's sparingly thrown to. that's what your rookie season is for. to make mistakes, learn and get better. i saw ceedee lamb drop a TD, and a 4th down pass within a few minutes of eachother in a game. imagine if the cowboys just stopped goin to him after that.

carr deserves blame too. he's a good qb but he will lose confidence in you and shy away from you. he's not the ideal QB to develop a young wr with. 

3rd and Renfrow disagrees. 😤

As for Ruggs, I have faith. Next year he will probably double to triple this year's production. We just have a lot of talent and need to find the perfect way to balance it all out. It's a good problem to have.

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

3rd and Renfrow disagrees. 😤

As for Ruggs, I have faith. Next year he will probably double to triple this year's production. We just have a lot of talent and need to find the perfect way to balance it all out. It's a good problem to have.

I disagree between hunter and nelly someone has to go or hr3 will never get any targets. 

24 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I disagree between hunter and nelly someone has to go or hr3 will never get any targets. 

If we ran more uptempo style offense like Cardinals, could have a high target share. I like Renfrow but obvious Ruggs should be targeted more. Gruden ego wouldn’t allow it, but it would be nice to bring in another offensive mind to help Gruden with playcalling. Idk what Greg Olsen really does, I guess he is boys with DC. If our defense could get off the field, we would have the ball as well. 

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

If we ran more uptempo style offense like Cardinals, could have a high target share. I like Renfrow but obvious Ruggs should be targeted more. Gruden ego wouldn’t allow it, but it would be nice to bring in another offensive mind to help Gruden with playcalling. Idk what Greg Olsen really does, I guess he is boys with DC. If our defense could get off the field, we would have the ball as well. 

Gruden isn’t the qb. Hunter is the better wr. Better routes, hands, availability and Rac ability. Not a carr super fanboy but I can see why hunter and nelly get more targets than hr3. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

What grade would u give Gruden and why?

For 2020 or in his 3 years?

I'd give him an F either way personally. This has been a disaster of epic proportions and the only thing saving him is his name and Davis being a fan boy. 

Running it down:

Little to show for the Kahlil Mack trade. Traded the only pass rush asset he had on defense. Team has no pass rush 3 years running. 

Couldn't get Cooper involved in the offense. Traded him and he helped Dallas get to the playoffs. Is a 1000+ yard WR every year. Used the pick for a throw back safety who can't cover

Traded a 3rd for Martavius "White Tiger" Bryant who flopped. Only to go back to the well and trade another high pick for Antonio Brown who made a mockery of the entire sitatuon and caused early friction between Gruden and his newly appointed GM. 

More wasted assets in Trades for Zay Jones and McMillin, 

2018 Draft class was largely awful. 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and only Miller has a future here

2019 Draft class was more reaching. Jacobs makes it respectable and Hunter 

2020 Draft class - 5 picks inside the top 100 and none have made any impact. Traded Bowden for a 4th.

Terrible usage of cap space with FA signings. Coaching hires have been suspect and he's already fired his DC. 

Back to back seasons falling apart when it matters. Suspect play calling. 

About the only thing that's gone right is finding Waller. 

What is there to like honestly? Would another team hire Gruden if Davis fired him tomorrow? He's been a disaster. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Dude got 3.4 touches/game in his soph and jr seasons in college but you thought he was going to become high volume as a rookie. But that's because the WRs at Alabama were so good! Guess what, most WRs in the NFL are good too.

This. 2020 vision he is who he is. Devonte was better then all of them last year anyways. 

10 hours ago, Dessie said:

There is a running theme with @NCOUGHMAN posts. Everything is Carrs fault, whether it be salary, red zone offense, defense etc it comes back to Carr.

This thread is about whether Gruden should be getting more ‘heat’ for his coaching this far. Should maybe get back on topic. 

You wasn’t saying this when I was giving carr his props earlier in the season. Merits and demerits homie

fwiw we have drinking games with post game pressers with how many times gru says “as the coach that falls on me” or accepting blame. 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Since this is the Gruden thread and to keep all talk about Gruden in one place season is pretty much over.

What grade would u give Gruden and why?

Gruden Grade: F

Great job finding Darren Waller off the Ravens PC though. But we are substantial in worse shape with Gruden and we could be in for a bottom out season thanks to missing on too many draft picks

• Like 1