The Good, the Bad, the Gruden vs the Chargers

ronjon1990

Good:

Mariota gave the offense a new dimension. We'll see if he can keep it up. 

Agholor continued to impress. He is what he is, a solid #2 playing as  #1.

Waller is dominant.

Jacobs as a pass catcher.

Bad:

O-line. I don't care what anyone says, Tent is a waste. With the overall money we have invested in them, their overall unit performance is pathetic in the run game.

Jacobs as a runner. The o-line doesn't help, but he just doesn't look explosive right now. He's dancing like Reggie Bush. Furthermore, his touches are painfully predictable, limiting their efficiency. 

Ugly:

The defense. As an entire unit, they suck. Some colleges field deeper units.

Defensive decision making. Why is Worley playing safety? Why is Leavitt playing? Virtually no blitzing? 

Mullen. We can all talk about his improvements, but he's about as consistent as Ryan Fitzpatrick. His PI calls are killers. He leaves people wide open. And at least once he lost his man in pathetic fashion. He might be our best defensive player, but that's by default at this point. 

Gruden's playcalling is just pathetic. We ran virtually the exact same play 3 times in the RZ and failed every time. Zero creativity. We lose games by him not having balls, and it's becoming routine. 

Mayock and Gruden. The FA class has been mostly useless. Mariota, the one guy most everyone panned, made arguably the biggest impact outside of Agholor, and did so in a single game. Kwit is the only other, and he's ok at best, but his coverage skills were bad tonight. We play Herbert and Mahomes twice a year, coverage skills are a must for an every down player. Meanwhile, our last two drafts have been a joke. Ruggs is potential, nothing more. That's every rookie. Arnette can't tackle. Abram can't stay healthy and isn't effective when he is. Ferrell is a guy people hope can be a decent player anymore. And our best additions, outside of a depreciating Jacobs have ultimately been castoffs from the Eagles and Titans. We have arguably more holes on D than when Gruden arrived. Mayock's decision making is downright puzzling. For all the hooplah, our roster isn't significantly better 3 and 2 years in respectively. And for all the love we give the offense, we're practically average. We all see these guys, we play better than average football on offense. At some point, the onus is on the coaches to not hold the offense back with terrible playcalling. And Mayock's contract decisions are just as laughable as the personell decisions made that left us in position to lose this game with guys being asked to play out of position while superior FAs are on the market who couldn't play any worse than what we've seen the last few weeks. 

We over achieved in the first half of the season. We fell apart the second half against the easiest schedule in the NFL. And 3 years into Gruden's tenure, that cannot possibly be acceptable. 

• Like 2

The sad part is, we are probably going 7-9. Miami’s D I’ve been high on all year, they are tough as nails. And their offense can score points, and knowing our defense, they’ll score every drive. 

And then we close in Denver... Broncos are playing really well lately, and we struggle to pull off wins in Denver. 

2019: 6-4 start to 7-9. 
2020: 6-3 start to 7-9. 

I mean I did predict us to be 7-9 this year, but I predicted us to start 1-5, and finish 6-4.... absolutely no excuse to meltdown with this second half schedule. 

Edited by BayRaider

43 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I would like to see Gruden give up play calling.  It is the same plays over and over again in the redzone.  I said before this week that I was not sure if it was Carr or Gruden but now it seems like it is Gruden.  Redzone offense is bad and predictable.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, J-Rod said:

Ugly:

Defensive awareness.  On the Herbert fumble at the goal line, the defense was just standing there staring at the ball rolling in the end zone.  You jump on the ball...you win the game.

That's asking too much of the bums we're fielding. They don't even know who their man is 90% of the time. You think they know where the ball is, ever?

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's asking too much of the bums we're fielding. They don't even know who their man is 90% of the time. You think they know where the ball is, ever?

The Raiders have to fire the D-backs coach they look lost out there. I understand if you're not talented enough to cover the WR but giving someone 15 yd cushion When all they need is 7 yd is incredibly stupid. That's all on the coach.

MM was awesome last night. Dude made plays and that’s all you could as for. Made some iffy throws, but man dude had no quit in him and truly made something outta nothing multiple times. Will be fun to watch him the next two games. He’s a good guy, so nice to see him play good. 

Still Carrs team, but MM has me intrigued 

Edited by agarcia34

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

MM was awesome last night. Dude made plays and that’s all you could as for. Made some iffy throws, but man dude had no quit in him and truly made something outta nothing multiple times. Will be fun to watch him the next two games. He’s a good guy, so nice to see him play good. 

MM played as good sad you can, but same issues Carr runs into. bad play calling at goaline and poor defense. 

19 minutes ago, roi34 said:

MM played as good sad you can, but same issues Carr runs into. bad play calling at goaline and poor defense. 

Forsure. He did some really nice things. That TD pass to Waller was dropped in beautifully in stride. If we’re being honest that’s something that Carr has struggled with. 

The runs with the RPO and he didn’t shy away from contact to get those extra yards. 4th down runs. The runs where nothing was open down field 

On a pass to Waller he stood in the pocket and get drilled to complete the pass. 

Tbh I wasn’t to excited about the rest of the season cause I knew the playoff chances we done after the colts game, but MM gonna make these last two games for me interesting. Everyone here should be rooting for this guy to ball out cause if anything else that is a trade asset for a QB that only has a cap number of 10 million next season. 

Some mentioned it during the game and I need to see Ruggs with MM. I need to see if it’s Carr or the plays on why Ruggs has gotten little to no usage during the season

Edited by agarcia34

I don’t understand Josh Jacobs struggles. The line isn’t playing as good as they were last year, but it’s not like they’re terrible. As Aikman said, last year Jacobs was ripping off like a 20 yarder per game. This year he has 2 carries on 20+. 

And that last play call to Ingold? Yikes. Even if it gets to him it didn’t look like he was scoring.