The Good, the Bad, the Gruden vs the Chargers

ronjon1990

People forget Mariota was playing like a top end QB in 2016. He was the AFC offensive player for the month that November that season. Then week 16 broke his fibula the same day as Carr.

Like Carr, he struggled post injury mentally. And had a string of additional injuries. Unlike Carr, he's never really got a chance to rebound. He never got fully healthy, had different play callers and they often tried to fit his game into a system that didn't play to his strengths and style.

Point being, like Carr... he once was looked at as an up and coming QB. Given some time to get healthy both physically and mentally as he has, he may turn a corner similar to what Carr has done with Gruden. 

14 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Forsure. He did some really nice things. That TD pass to Waller was dropped in beautifully in stride. If we’re being honest that’s something that Carr has struggled with. 

The runs with the RPO and he didn’t shy away from contact to get those extra yards. 4th down runs. The runs where nothing was open down field 

On a pass to Waller he stood in the pocket and get drilled to complete the pass. 

Tbh I wasn’t to excited about the rest of the season cause I knew the playoff chances we done after the colts game, but MM gonna make these last two games for me interesting. Everyone here should be rooting for this guy to ball out cause if anything else that is a trade asset for a QB that only has a cap number of 10 million next season. 

Some mentioned it during the game and I need to see Ruggs with MM. I need to see if it’s Carr or the plays on why Ruggs has gotten little to no usage during the season

yeah I mentioned it myself the ruggs and MM and curiousity. 

while I agree for backup it was nice to see him get those extra Yards at times, if he was our starting QB, we'd be holding our breathe every run he lowered shoulder and took hits.  

Waller pass, I 💯 agree on in terms of touch and placement. Carr has the better arm and accuracy which the odd part. he can zip it into far open spaces but he floats his deep ball with too much touch most the time. 

it'll be fun to see MM

I'm over gruden already. The way he runs a franchise and coaches isn't going to lead to no real sustain success. Complicated playbooks where it take 2 or 3 years for rookies to make real impacts. Putting most of his money in an offense who can get in endzone in the redzone. Loyalty to coaches that aren't very good. He wasn't good in Tampa after the superbowl and he isn't very good now. Jack del Rio had a better 3 years than him and didn't have a bunch of 1st rd picks and cap to work with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

I don’t understand Josh Jacobs struggles. The line isn’t playing as good as they were last year, but it’s not like they’re terrible. As Aikman said, last year Jacobs was ripping off like a 20 yarder per game. This year he has 2 carries on 20+. 

And that last play call to Ingold? Yikes. Even if it gets to him it didn’t look like he was scoring. 

Easy, our goal is to DeMarco Murray him, and defenders hit harder in the NFL these days. 

RBs are the ultimate replaceable cog these days. Often, Booker has just looked more explosive than Jacobs. Jacobs is a baller, and he might have a bright future, but come contract renewal time if he wants too much, I'm taking what I can get for him without second thought.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Unacceptable. He's looked a lot worse this year compared to last. If he is hurt then trot Booker out there. Sure it's cool to play through injuries and show your toughness but if you're hurting your team with ****ty runs then you need to be taken out.

I bet 60% of those was first down runs. They kept trying to run inside wasting downs. 

5 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I don’t understand Josh Jacobs struggles. The line isn’t playing as good as they were last year, but it’s not like they’re terrible. As Aikman said, last year Jacobs was ripping off like a 20 yarder per game. This year he has 2 carries on 20+. 

And that last play call to Ingold? Yikes. Even if it gets to him it didn’t look like he was scoring. 

He has become a predictable runner, and teams are playing him very aggressive because they are not scared of him breaking one for the house. 

I was weary of drafting him due to his speed, and he put my concerns to rest last year, but it seems it was a concern afterall. 

14 hours ago, BayRaider said:

People trying to put 100% of the blame on the OL because they love Jacobs so much. In reality, it’s a mixed blame, and Jacobs looks very stale and predictable. Plus teams are not respecting him to break one in any way. Jacobs has more run blitzes committed against him than any other back, and the LBs play more aggressive against him, because Jacobs is not going to take one to the house. 

Jacobs has had a poor year. 

I never mistaked him for being a CMC or Kamara type of elusive runner, but only two 20 yard or more gains all year with the amount of touches he gets? That's really bad. He rarely gets to the second level of a defense and on the rare occasion he does, he lacks the moves to turn it into a bigger gain. He rather plow into guys and churn yardage. I saw more big play ability from the Colts Jonathan Taylor last week than I've seen from Jacobs.

I don't know what's different about him this year but he just doesn't look the same. He has improved in the passing game, but he's still not a 3 down back. I still think he's a good player and an important part of the future, but yeah not a good year. 

For everyone criticizing Jacobs of late... remember that he isn't fully healthy.  He's been on the injury report for weeks now with the ankle and knee issues. Jacobs is still our future at RB long term even after posting a disappointing YPC this year... the OL just has had too many injuries this year and inconsistent play in run blocking. As someone else said, our pass protection has been really good this year but run blocking not so much. He hasn't had many huge holes to run through like last year.

Jacobs still gets tons of yardage after contact, is rarely tackled by the first guy in the open field, and has improved a lot catching passes out of the backfield this year. Jacobs will be fine.

53 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Seeing how lethal Mariota was with his legs, it makes me wonder why we didn't see him in certain packages/situations earlier. He's been active 3 weeks now and not a single glimpse. 

Honestly he should have been out there for a lot of 4th and shorts. Even if it's just as a runner. 

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

He has become a predictable runner, and teams are playing him very aggressive because they are not scared of him breaking one for the house. 

I was weary of drafting him due to his speed, and he put my concerns to rest last year, but it seems it was a concern afterall. 

I agree and although Booker has played decently for us this year we could really use an explosive, change of pace back.  Hopefully Mayock can land us one in the draft. 

We could use them like the Saints used Ingram and Kamura.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz