Bears at Vikings - GDT

CBears019

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Just noticed Leno got pancaked by LB on same play though.  Sad.   That guy spends entirely too much time on ground.   

He needs to be replaced in the offseason. If Bears do not go QB round 1 then OT would be my next choice.

An OL like below could actually be decent next season

LT: Rookie

LG: Whitehair

C: Mustipher

RG: Daniels

RT: Bars

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

He needs to be replaced in the offseason. If Bears do not go QB round 1 then OT would be my next choice.

😄 Mustipher

I don't want to go into 2021 with Bars as a starter. He can compete for a job, but the Bears shouldn't rely on him.

Just now, abstract_thought said:

I don't want to go into 2021 with Bars as a starter. He can compete for a job, but the Bears shouldn't rely on him.

And why not?  He's shown to be a pretty good option lately and he would have earned the job in this case.  I'm not saying they guarantee the job to anyone but they could do a lot worse. 

I mean if it's between bringing Massie back at his big salary or letting Bars and a rookie battle for the startign role then I'm taking option 2. 

Just because these guys (Mustipher & Bars) were UDFA's doesn't mean they aren't starting caliber.

• Like 1

And why not?  He's shown to be a pretty good option lately and he would have earned the job in this case.  I'm not saying they guarantee the job to anyone but they could do a lot worse. 

I mean if it's between bringing Massie back at his big salary or letting Bars and a rookie battle for the startign role then I'm taking option 2. 

Just because these guys (Mustipher & Bars) were UDFA's doesn't mean they aren't starting caliber.

Because the Bears have gotten themselves in trouble in the past when taking a few games as representative of a player's talent level.

If he competes for and wins a job, that's fine. If the Bears fail to bring in competition for him, they're setting themselves up for failure.

9 hours ago, GBHalas said:

So you would let a 26 year old all-pro safety walk after his rookie deal expired?  Based on his performance the market set the deal that Jackson received, and again I agree he hasn't had the takeaways this year, but he is a solid piece to build around.  

His deal hadn't expired. I would have let him play out the end of it this year, to see if he deserved a big raise. 

This all may be much ado about nothing, anyway. As I said, he was playing well in the first part of the season. There's at least a chance he gets back to that level. 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Just noticed Leno got pancaked by LB on same play though.  Sad.   That guy spends entirely too much time on ground.   

Yes. Yes he does. Or stumbling off into the wrong direction. What the hell happened to that guy? I mean, seriously! He was never a stud, but he used to be serviceable. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Riley Rieff is probably done with the Vikings after this year. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Because the Bears have gotten themselves in trouble in the past when taking a few games as representative of a player's talent level.

If he competes for and wins a job, that's fine. If the Bears fail to bring in competition for him, they're setting themselves up for failure.

Yea well of course they'll need to have good depth and make sure they have capable players at each spot.

One thing is for sure though...the line has been playing a lot better ever since Coward was replaced by Bars and Mustipher took over at C and shifted Whitehair out to LG.

I know Bars played quite a bit at RT in college and also filled in for Massie when he went down a few weeks back so I believe he can make it work there with a little more seasoning.

I'm still all for drafting one or two new tackles in this upcoming draft. 

• Like 1

Yea well of course they'll need to have good depth and make sure they have capable players at each spot.

One thing is for sure though...the line has been playing a lot better ever since Coward was replaced by Bars and Mustipher took over at C and shifted Whitehair out to LG.

I know Bars played quite a bit at RT in college and also filled in for Massie when he went down a few weeks back so I believe he can make it work there with a little more seasoning.

I'm still all for drafting one or two new tackles in this upcoming draft. 

Is Pace, though? You never know when a good corner may slip! :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He was an All Pro in 2018. The extension came after 2019, which was a season for him that gave hints that PERHAPS 2018 was an aberration. They didn't need to extend him at that point. They could've let 2020 play out, because now it's looking more and more like 2018 WAS an aberration. 

And I'll be honest, I'm not necessarily blaming Pace which is odd because he's been a mess of a GM. Hell, I'm not even blaming Jackson. He got offered life changing money and took it. What is frustrating, however, is that he now does nothing well. All of those things that he showed in his first 2 seasons feel like they were 5 seasons ago. He isn't even close to takeaways. When was the last time you watched a game

and thought "ahh, so close!" Last season? He isn't even trying to tackle. He's a good dancer though, and evidently we should be happy that he can jump high and deflect last second hail mary's.

"Aberration" because he's hasn't been an all-pro every year since?! xD Did he really raise the bar for himself this much? WOW.  He may not have been the all-pro that he was in 2018 in 2019 but he was still well above average while playing a different role in a new scheme with a new coach.      

"Jackson doesn't do anything"..."doesn't wanna tackle" xD My god.

You cannot make this stuff up.  Do you have proof of any of this? I'm seriously asking. Or is this just what you read on twitter or something?  I'd love to hear this.  

28d94235cbdd9362-what-sailor-moon-wut-gi

Saying "he doesn't wanna tackle" is the 2nd most ridiculous thing I've read today.  Jackson's missed tackle % is 16.0%, which is his lowest since his rookie year (11.9%). Even his AP year was 20.0%.

In most defensive schemes, if a safety, who is often tasked with playing deep to prevent big plays, has high amount of tackles then that usually means there are other problems on the defense and that usually starts up front, and we've seen this too.  FYI, Jackson already has 76 tackles this season, which is his highest since his rookie year in 2017, and is currently the 3rd highest on the team. He has 6th last year and 7th in 2018. 

You saying "he doesn't do anything" is also ridiculous.  Clearly you're only following the ball and looking at splash plays &/or because you don't understand the game (or just copying other posts from other sites) . For what he is being paid, he should have more splash plays, but there's ALOT of more to the game than that and alot of which that won't show up on a stat sheet.  

He takes away targets in coverage forcing coverage sacks/pressures,  he lines up all over the field and plays multiple positions;  in the box, deep FS,  LB role to protect the flats when were short,  deep in single high situations to stop explosive plays,  plays the right-side on 2 man looks to help with the rookies (JJ, Vildor, Shelley) playing opposite of Fuller,  slot  (even in man coverage in dime packages on 3rd down in the RZ) against the likes of Jones, Theilan, Kamara, Lazard, etc. You can also see that QBs are still looking for him in their pre-snap reads--on early downs when he lines up closer to the LOS that's when they take their shots downfield because they don't have to worry about him.  When he's playing deep in single or two high looks their much more hesitant. 

He isn't even close to takeaways. When was the last time you watched a game and thought "ahh, so close!" Last season?

Last week against the Texans on the 1st possession on a 3rd and 7 when he dropped what should've been a INT.  And the week before that he dropped another one against the Lions. He has a total of 3 dropped INTs this year (the other was against WK5) which BTW is the first time in his career he has dropped a clear should-be INT. If he catches those like he usually does then he would be tied for 6th most INT's among all safeties and 3rd most in total forced turnovers. 

The bottom line is, you can say he's having a down year but what you're saying to support that argument is simply not true at all. 

It's Pagano's system that has turned soft and predictable. The same thing I was afraid would happen when he has signed.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He was an All Pro in 2018. The extension came after 2019, which was a season for him that gave hints that PERHAPS 2018 was an aberration. They didn't need to extend him at that point. They could've let 2020 play out, because now it's looking more and more like 2018 WAS an aberration. 

12 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Both seasons happened under Fangio. I think the smart move was to wait until after 2019. Pace extended Jackson at the height of his value when he didn’t need to.

Jackson was coming off making the 1st team all-pro with 1 pro bowl added to his resume in 3 years. He was going to get paid regardless, and you don't let talent like him go. Good safeties are hard to find.  If Pace had waited it would've cost substantially more. 

Minny made Harrison Smith the highest paid safety in the league at the time and he only had 2 pro bowls and ZERO AP's to his name after 4 years and his 10mAPY (11th in the league) is looking pretty damn good right now for a player of his caliber. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

"Aberration" because he's hasn't been an all-pro every year since?! xD Did he really raise the bar for himself this much? WOW.  He may not have been the all-pro that he was in 2018 in 2019 but he was still well above average while playing a different role in a new scheme with a new coach.      

"Jackson doesn't do anything"..."doesn't wanna tackle" xD My god.

You cannot make this stuff up.  Do you have proof of any of this? I'm seriously asking. Or is this just what you read on twitter or something?  I'd love to hear this.  

28d94235cbdd9362-what-sailor-moon-wut-gi

Saying "he doesn't wanna tackle" is the 2nd most ridiculous thing I've read today.  Jackson's missed tackle % is 16.0%, which is his lowest since his rookie year (11.9%). Even his AP year was 20.0%.

In most defensive schemes, if a safety, who is often tasked with playing deep to prevent big plays, has high amount of tackles then that usually means there are other problems on the defense and that usually starts up front, and we've seen this too.  FYI, Jackson already has 76 tackles this season, which is his highest since his rookie year in 2017, and is currently the 3rd highest on the team. He has 6th last year and 7th in 2018. 

You saying "he doesn't do anything" is also ridiculous.  Clearly you're only following the ball and looking at splash plays &/or because you don't understand the game (or just copying other posts from other sites) . For what he is being paid, he should have more splash plays, but there's ALOT of more to the game than that and alot of which that won't show up on a stat sheet.  

He takes away targets in coverage forcing coverage sacks/pressures,  he lines up all over the field and plays multiple positions;  in the box, deep FS,  LB role to protect the flats when were short,  deep in single high situations to stop explosive plays,  plays the right-side on 2 man looks to help with the rookies (JJ, Vildor, Shelley) playing opposite of Fuller,  slot  (even in man coverage in dime packages on 3rd down in the RZ) against the likes of Jones, Theilan, Kamara, Lazard, etc. You can also see that QBs are still looking for him in their pre-snap reads--on early downs when he lines up closer to the LOS that's when they take their shots downfield because they don't have to worry about him.  When he's playing deep in single or two high looks their much more hesitant. 

Last week against the Texans on the 1st possession on a 3rd and 7 when he dropped what should've been a INT.  And the week before that he dropped another one against the Lions. He has a total of 3 dropped INTs this year (the other was against WK5) which BTW is the first time in his career he has dropped a clear should-be INT. If he catches those like he usually does then he would be tied for 6th most INT's among all safeties and 3rd most in total forced turnovers. 

The bottom line is, you can say he's having a down year but what you're saying to support that argument is simply not true at all. 

It's Pagano's system that has turned soft and predictable. The same thing I was afraid would happen when he has signed.  

Ah, the typical JAG go-to "maybe you just read websites and search twitter for your ideas!" Never fails. You sound so stupid so often.

Great players do set the bar, high. If Jackson can't put together really good years over and over, he isn't great. A lot of players do this. Stop making excuses for him. "He had 2 great years! Sorry he can't be close to that every year!" Yeah, I'm sorry too. I'm sorry that someone paid so much can't be good again now.

Seeing as if how I post "Eddie Jackson, woof" at least 1 time per game in real time, I'd be quite the fast reader or I have a TV way ahead of the rest of you to draw my opinion from outside of my own view point.

Watch the games, dude. For the vast majority of the time, Jackson is invisible. Does he tackle when he's right there? Sure. Now go back and watch the play where the MIN TE catches a pass near the sideline and he doesn't even make an attempt to tackle. It's called a business decision

So, unless the play is right to him, he doesn't tackle. He doesn't make splash plays (you admitted so). But hey, don't look at the stat sheet (clearly again not what I'm doing since I post "Eddie Jackson, woof" once per game in real time) because the highest paid FS in football does the small stuff! FOH

Also, it's nice to know that his best seasons came with one of the best defensive minds in football and he can't replicate it now. Maybe when they fire Pagano in January he'll be awesome again. 

You have quite the act, dude. A year or two ago, you posted a big long thing how you're sick of the Bears never being good and the higher-ups never change and it's frustrating. Now that most posters have taken that same pessimistic view, you're trying to be Mr. Optimistic and crush anyone's pessimistic points. Good gig if you can get it

I'm not sure who you blocked- you did say you put a few posters on ignore recently- but I wish you would block me. It's clear that you seek out my posts, and even when you agree, it seems to piss you off. 

Edited by beardown3231

17 hours ago, topwop1 said:

😄 Mustipher

Just spit balling.  

What games have we seen Bars play tackle in reg season?  Seems to be doing well at G and shown some ability in preseason to play T.  Why not see what trade market is for Daniels while he is still highly thought of and young?  You have to gamble sometimes to sell high. People don’t want crap or no potential, fans always have fantasy trades were they dump garbage on people.   

Bears should have traded Long when he was young might be same thing with Daniels who could be an all pro or decline and also seems to be not great mentally.  I would see what market you is for him quietly were I Bears. 

Ifedi seems to be our most versatile OL. 

Mustipher has been a great surprise. I think it shows how challenging it is to figure out who is going to play well vs not. Practice guys do not always translate into gamers.  I think a line of Daniel, Whitehair, and Mustipher with a first round OL would be solid. 

Round 1 - QB or OT 

Round 2 - OL or offensive weapon 

Round 3 - OL