Alex Smith (calf) won't play in Week 15 against the Seahawks.

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

I could see it,Seattle has the worse passing defense in the league in terms of yard per game, so coulda seen some long drives keeping Seattle O off the field and leading to points and defense getting enough pressure on Wilson to win the game.

Where with Haskins I expect a few quick 3 and out that will hurt the defense and possibly a turnover or more. To me the game goes from being a tossup to not looking good

Haskins only had one game where he's had 3 turnovers since early last season, he may not be to the point where he needs to be as a QB and he may never get there, but turnovers isn't really something I worry about with Haskins. My worries with Haskins are executing pre snap - including setting up the protection correctly - and then moving off of his first read if the defense has covered that up. The main reason why Haskins got benched was because he wasn't prepared like they wanted him to be, he wasn't going through his progressions fast enough, he wasn't setting the protection correctly and he wasn't coming off a WR when they were covered and moving to something else or just throwing it away.

Now, maybe Rivera is just blowing smoke because Haskins is now his best option to win with, but Rivera said that Haskins has come a long way in the areas he needed to work on. 

For example, his two interceptions in the second half vs the Browns were inexcusable, he shouldn't have thrown either of those passes. He needed to come off that read and go to something else and quickly, you can't throw late over the middle and Haskins did it twice in that second half. 

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m guessing it’s Montez. He’s spent the entire season in this season plus his ability to run would help matters if he has to play. I’m going to assume he does. 

The post article I posted said it was either going to be Taylor Heinicke - who of course spent time in Carolina last season - or Montez. If I had to put money on it, I'd go with Heinicke because offensive coaches love their QBs to know the system well so at worst the QB can at least execute the plays they call, even if they aren't the most talented guys. I think we've learned that over the years with guys like Jon Beck and Colt McCoy sticking around.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

This may sound crazy...but I'm betting seattle crowds the line of scrimmage because they know Haskins is starting.

If I were Turner? I would let it fly. Do the unexpected. 

Try to get some positive running in there to set up play action.

If we can somehow build a lead in this game, no matter the margin.

Del Rio can let our dogs loose on Wilson.

We're gonna need some offensive scoring to win this game. Can't do it, like we did the Niners game.

I would air it out in the first half & make Seattle defense back off.

Then pound Barber in the 2nd half, as well as short screens to put the pressure on Seattle.

We can win this game. We just need to play smart, flawless football.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Colt McCoy is a better quarterback than Dwayne is right now. 

Colt only threw for 105 yards vs the Seahawks.

This is Colt's stats vs the Seahawks:

13/22, 59.1%, 4.8 per attempt, 1 TD, 1 Int, 67.4 rtg, 32.9 QBR

I think Dwayne can do that in just a half, remember the Seahawks defense isn't as good as the 49ers defense either. When Dwayne was our starter he averaged 234 yards a game and a TD a game. He threw for 314 yds and 71% vs the great Ravens defense. I know Colt is more experienced, but he didn't play well last week vs the Seahawks. I can't repeat this enough I guess, Dwayne wasn't that far off from beating the Ravens and if the D had played better and Rivera had made a few better coaching decisions, we may have won that game.

I too believe we'll lose this game, but I find it hard to say that Colt is better than Dwayne right now. Dwayne is better than Colt in every area but experience and maybe that's why we'll lose with Dwayne as our QB but, I think that would be the only reason I'd say Colt is better. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It wasn’t 0 like it is now

Definitely took a hit, I’m with you there. I probably had them at about 33% before Smith went down, and I’d say maybe about 20% now. 

I think @turtle28 is making a good point in some of his posts here, which is basically that the formula for winning is largely undisturbed. If we were going to win, it was always going to have to be on the back of a great defensive effort, as I think it’s unlikely for this offense to score any more than 20-24 points against any reasonably competent defensive unit, regardless of which of our QBs we deploy. I think our defense is capable of having a good day, despite their run game and big play threats, because they’ve been fairly sack and turnover prone of late. 

Haskins is not real good at this point. But it isn’t like Smith has been exceptional. We just need Dwayne to be steady, careful with the ball, consistent in the short game to get the chains moving a little and avoid giving Wilson a short field, and hit just a few of the chunk throws. That would be a step up from where he’s been at certain points this season, but it’s the 32nd ranked pass defense, so I don’t think it’s impossible he will have a solid game if they protect him. Almost all the other young guys have improved as the season has gone on, not sure why we’d rule that possibility out totally for him. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Definitely took a hit, I’m with you there. I probably had them at about 33% before Smith went down, and I’d say maybe about 20% now. 

I think @turtle28 is making a good point in some of his posts here, which is basically that the formula for winning is largely undisturbed. If we were going to win, it was always going to have to be on the back of a great defensive effort, as I think it’s unlikely for this offense to score any more than 20-24 points against any reasonably competent defensive unit, regardless of which of our QBs we deploy. I think our defense is capable of having a good day, despite their run game and big play threats, because they’ve been fairly sack and turnover prone of late. 

Haskins is not real good at this point. But it isn’t like Smith has been exceptional. We just need Dwayne to be steady, careful with the ball, consistent in the short game to get the chains moving a little and avoid giving Wilson a short field, and hit just a few of the chunk throws. That would be a step up from where he’s been at certain points this season, but it’s the 32nd ranked pass defense, so I don’t think it’s impossible he will have a solid game if they protect him. Almost all the other young guys have improved as the season has gone on, not sure why we’d rule that possibility out totally for him. 

good idea yes GIF by Robert E Blackmon