Alex Smith (calf) won't play in Week 15 against the Seahawks.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I agree with that. Maybe we’ll see some growth from Dwayne Sunday...I mean I doubt it but at least there’s a chance. 

That’s all we can hope for right? I mean the way I see it is that Dwayne has the ability/talent to play much better than what he’s played so far this season, there’s just certain factors that have set him back like not being prepared as he should’ve been early in the season. 

Now Rivera has said he’s improved in that area, I guess we’ll see if that true.

One thing is for sure, Dwayne is the most physically gifted QB we’ve had since RG3. Dwayne just has to get more prepared and get more comfortable in this offense so he knows what to do when he’s out there and isn’t making mistakes because he doesn’t know what to do like earlier in the season.

Hopefully, the last 2 months of studying the offense and learning from Alex, Turner & Zampese have helped Haskins get to a point where he won’t be overthinking as much out there and then his talent will shine through.

I’m very anxious to find out if that’s going to be the case or not.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

This may sound crazy...but I'm betting seattle crowds the line of scrimmage because they know Haskins is starting.

If I were Turner? I would let it fly. Do the unexpected. 

Try to get some positive running in there to set up play action.

If we can somehow build a lead in this game, no matter the margin.

Del Rio can let our dogs loose on Wilson.

We're gonna need some offensive scoring to win this game. Can't do it, like we did the Niners game.

I would air it out in the first half & make Seattle defense back off.

Then pound Barber in the 2nd half, as well as short screens to put the pressure on Seattle.

We can win this game. We just need to play smart, flawless football.

Pray Kimmy Schmidt GIF by Demic

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

This is a big game for Haskins, RR said they changed things up for him. We will see!

Cole Holcomb and KPL are both out for this game. Lavar maybe we’ll see K Hudson play like you been hoping for. 

Sadly, I’d bet that Thomas Davis starts in place of Holcomb & SDH starts in place on KPL. I don’t see Hudson starting the game.

My hope is when we go to nickel that Thomas Davis comes off the field and SDH stays on the field with Bostic. I don’t want to see TDavis and Bostic as our nickel LBs, that’ll be awful for our coverage.

I think this is going to be a big opportunity for SDH, he hasn’t gotten as much playing time as many of us were hoping he would this year as he’s been stuck behind Bostic & KPL but, if he plays well tomorrow it could be a good sign for him being a starter moving forward instead of just being a back up MLB.

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Haskins only had one game where he's had 3 turnovers since early last season, he may not be to the point where he needs to be as a QB and he may never get there, but turnovers isn't really something I worry about with Haskins. My worries with Haskins are executing pre snap - including setting up the protection correctly - and then moving off of his first read if the defense has covered that up. The main reason why Haskins got benched was because he wasn't prepared like they wanted him to be, he wasn't going through his progressions fast enough, he wasn't setting the protection correctly and he wasn't coming off a WR when they were covered and moving to something else or just throwing it away.

Now, maybe Rivera is just blowing smoke because Haskins is now his best option to win with, but Rivera said that Haskins has come a long way in the areas he needed to work on. 

For example, his two interceptions in the second half vs the Browns were inexcusable, he shouldn't have thrown either of those passes. He needed to come off that read and go to something else and quickly, you can't throw late over the middle and Haskins did it twice in that second half. 

Wasn't trying to call Haskins a turnover machine or anything,it just Jamal Adams blitzing skills scare me way more of Haskins not being able to see it and getting sack fumbled or panic int then Alex woulda.

12 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Wasn't trying to call Haskins a turnover machine or anything, it just Jamal Adams blitzing skills scare me way more of Haskins not being able to see it and getting sack fumbled or panic int then Alex woulda.

Well that's a good point. I fully expect that the coaching staff has prepared Haskins as well they could for those blitzes. Hopefully, they have hot routes built in and easy throws to McKissic for when that blitz is coming, but Haskins is also going to have to guard against Adams faking a blitz and dropping off to cover McKissic, and then when that happens gather and move on to another read, take off for a short run or throw the ball away. He can't get all flustered if Seattle takes away what the first read is. That's something Haskins has struggled with as a young QB. It's not that he can't read defenses and can't get through his reads and progressions, it's that he doesn't get through them fast enough. I've always thought that only speeds up when you play which gets back to the reason why most of us wanted Rivera to play Haskins the whole year unless it was truly awful and it never was truly truly awful with Haskins under center. I understand why the HC wanted to go for this NFC East Division Championship push with first Kyle Allen and then Alex Smith but I still think the other way was the better approach for building this team long term, but it's whatever, that's over now and can't change it.

If Haskins shows no progress at all tomorrow then what do we do with him? If he comes out and just plays terrible that has to be the end of him here, right? If Smith can’t go the following week would they turn to Montez? I really hope this scenario doesn’t play itself out but it lends to the idea that we might be picking a QB in the draft or moving up for one.

The sad part is we’ll get almost nothing for Haskins in a trade next year. A conditional 7th or maybe another teams bust. Just sucks. 

• Like 1

Looks like Taylor Heinicke will be backing up Haskins. 

Washington activates backup QB Taylor Heinicke from practice squad

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2020, 10:42 AM EST

The Washington Football Team is running out of quarterbacks, so they’re calling one up from the practice squad.

Taylor Heinicke is being called up to the active roster today and will back up Dwayne Haskins tomorrow against the Seahawks.

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Looks like Taylor Heinicke will be backing up Haskins. 

Washington activates backup QB Taylor Heinicke from practice squad

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2020, 10:42 AM EST

The Washington Football Team is running out of quarterbacks, so they’re calling one up from the practice squad.

Taylor Heinicke is being called up to the active roster today and will back up Dwayne Haskins tomorrow against the Seahawks.

Called it! 😂 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If Haskins shows no progress at all tomorrow then what do we do with him? If he comes out and just plays terrible that has to be the end of him here, right? If Smith can’t go the following week would they turn to Montez? I really hope this scenario doesn’t play itself out but it lends to the idea that we might be picking a QB in the draft or moving up for one.

The sad part is we’ll get almost nothing for Haskins in a trade next year. A conditional 7th or maybe another teams bust. Just sucks. 

I think anything is on the table right now. Personally, I can’t rule out anything.

I can’t rule out that Haskins will play well and prove he could be the answer in the future.

I can’t rule out that Haskins play awful and then Rivera won’t want to keep him and we’ll be drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 next year while Alex Smith is still our starter and Kyle Allen/Rookie are the back ups.

And, I can’t rule out that Haskins will play ok with us winning enough games to make the playoffs and Haskins returns next year to develop more/compete w/ Kyle Allen and Alex Smith is our starting QB again.

It’s anyone’s guess and the opinions on this run the gamut but we won’t know answer to it until Haskins plays the game or games down the stretch.

Haskins sure isn't given an easy game for this opportunity.  But the Heinicke upgrade makes me think this won't be the only game he gets a shot in.  Hopefully he can step up to the challenge. 

The defense will be under even more pressure to perform.  I also think that a key to this game will be Hopkins making some tough field goals.

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Haskins sure isn't given an easy game for this opportunity.  But the Heinicke upgrade makes me think this won't be the only game he gets a shot in.  Hopefully he can step up to the challenge. 

The defense will be under even more pressure to perform.  I also think that a key to this game will be Hopkins making some tough field goals.

I was thinking the same thing. The fact that Heinicke was added also points to Alex Smith missing more than one game IMO. 

• Like 1