as of now who is your pick at 19

LoganF89

just curious to who you guys think may be there and who do you pick, could guys like kyle pitts, jaylon waddle, or devontae smith be there? or could a qb slide, or do you go OL

My prediction is that if we pick at 19 I think Trey Lance will fall, and heres why, he didnt get to play this year and hes a small school qb. and other qbs are rising up the boards, i think its possible that wilson and trask could be taken ahead of lance and for that reason ill take lance. we need to get a qb in here that can learn next season and take over while we are in our playoff/ superbowl window with this defense

31 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

is that who you see us taking if hes there?

I think so, yes. They’re done with Haskins and we all know what we have in Allen. Smith is old and getting older and I think his leg is always going to be an issue. With that said, I think we’ll see two more years of Smith as the starter and that is perfect for a guy like Lance. He can sit and learn instead of being thrown to the wolves. 

• Like 1

If we are picking 19th, my hope is that one of the receivers fall - D. Smith or Waddle - if they don’t fall, I want Dylan Moses, Leatherwood or Paris Ford.

I’m not interested in Lance. He’s too raw for me, I think he needs years of development and I just don’t think it’s going to work out for him here. If we’re taking a QB I’d be much more interested in taking Kyle Trask. Yes, the ceiling isn’t as high but we haven’t had much luck with high ceiling QBs since Heath Shuler.

I don’t trust this offensive staff to develop Lance into what we’d want him to be/expect him to be which again, I fell will take years.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Honest question, if he didn’t play for Virginia Tech do you think he’d be a 1st round pick? I see you and Lavar propping him up, I’m just not sure he’s worthy of the selection.

I think if he didn’t play for VT he’s be getting more recognition. I believe he’s the number one PFF tackle. Or was. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think if he didn’t play for VT he’s be getting more recognition. I believe he’s the number one PFF tackle. Or was. 

Oh cool, definitely sounds like he’s worthy of a top 20 pick and I did read an article from NBC Sports about him being a riser. 

It's boring, but probably looking at Offensive Line at #19. There's too many QB needy teams for Lance to fall.  Chicago & New England could use a first rounder on a QB. Denver, Detroit, San Fran, & Las Vegas might pull the trigger on one as well.

LG Wyatt Davis Ohio St.

OT Samuel Cosmi Texas

IOL Creed Humphrey Oklahoma

OL Alijah Vera-Tucker USC

OT Christian Derrisaw VTech

There's a lot of great players at the end of the first round for offensive line

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think so, yes. They’re done with Haskins and we all know what we have in Allen. Smith is old and getting older and I think his leg is always going to be an issue. With that said, I think we’ll see two more years of Smith as the starter and that is perfect for a guy like Lance. He can sit and learn instead of being thrown to the wolves. 

I want Davonta Smith if he's available but I think getting Lance and sitting him for a year or two would be good value at that pick (depending upon who else is still available).

Because while I share @turtle28 's assessment of him being raw, I'm gonna side with you on this issue for one reason.

Josh Allen.

You and I were beating the drum about this guy when he was in college (you actually clued me in to him and I started paying attention and loving the guy). So maybe us beating the drum for Lance the same way and him falling to us, can give us the same results.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, taylor made said:

It's boring, but probably looking at Offensive Line at #19. There's too many QB needy teams for Lance to fall.  Chicago & New England could use a first rounder on a QB. Denver, Detroit, San Fran, & Las Vegas might pull the trigger on one as well.

LG Wyatt Davis Ohio St.

OT Samuel Cosmi Texas

IOL Creed Humphrey Oklahoma

OL Alijah Vera-Tucker USC

OT Christian Derrisaw VTech

There's a lot of great players at the end of the first round for offensive line

This is why I would likely be looking to trade down. There is a lot of pretty comparable talent available in that range at our positions of need (OT, MLB, WR, FS), and I’d rather drop back 10 spots or so, pick up another pick, and get a similar player to 19. Also, if they’re going to insist on taking a third-tier QB like Trask or Jones, it would be much more tolerable with an extra 2nd rounder to help outfit them with the elite supporting cast they’ll need.

It’s kinda hard to project who will still be there at a later pick like 19, especially this early in the process. But if we’re stuck at 19, of the guys I’m frequently seeing there at that pick in media mock drafts, I’d probably go with one of the second-tier OTs, either Darrisaw or Leatherwood or Cosmi. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I want Davonta Smith if he's available but I think getting Lance and sitting him for a year or two would be good value at that pick (depending upon who else is still available).

Because while I share @turtle28 's assessment of him being raw, I'm gonna side with you on this issue for one reason.

Josh Allen.

You and I were beating the drum about this guy when he was in college (you actually clued me in to him and I started paying attention and loving the guy). So maybe us beating the drum for Lance the same way and him falling to us, can give us the same results.

Yes, but we can't think that every guy who's got natural talent is going to develop after a few years like Josh Allen did, but I will give you that it's definitely possible and although Wentz has had a rough year this year bc he's not making the easy throws or running for first downs when he can, Wentz also developed into an MVP candidate a few years ago and he too was naturally talented but raw when the Eagles drafted him. 

I guess I just hate to see another first round pick go to waste waiting years for a guy to develop, but I shouldn't look at it that way. Having a QB sit, learn and develop behind Alex for a year or two and then that QB ending up developing into a top 10 QB would be worth the wait.  I am leery of that process though, especially given Washington's history with failing to draft first round QBs going back to Heath Shuler.

• Like 1