Randy Moss: Me, TO, then Rice

childofpudding

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I used to think Moss because I didn’t see Rice in his prime and I just couldn’t imagine anyone being as freaking awesome as Moss. But now I’m old AF and I see younger people who never saw Ray Lewis in his prime and think he was all speeches and overachieving by insane work ethic. When in reality this dude in his prime was at the ball on like almost every play. INSANELY DOMINANT. So when it comes to debates like Rice vs Moss I kinda just admit idk and I believe older folks about the players they used watch.

This is a perfect way to view it.

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

By the logic that Moss is using in regards to Rice having two HOF quarterbacks to work with, it becomes a victim of circumstance argument one can pull out of their pocket when it's to their benefit. Any receiver ever can say they didn't have this QB or that QB, and if they had, they would have had better career numbers. And then where do you draw the line? It's unknown to what degree Rice would have benefited if he played on another team with a revolving door of quarterbacks. But that isn't something Rice could control. 

Also, Moss talks about changing the game, but that was happening way before he played. Moss played in an era where a corner couldn't thrash him all over the field like one could when Lance Alworth played. So that does diminish Moss' accomplishments? 

Moss of course is entitled to his opinion, but the logic he's trying to wrap it around doesn't really make sense. 

You also have to ask the question, using Moss' logic, could Rice ever be considered the GOAT WR? What would it take? Rice already has 50%+ more career receiving yards than either of them. It's not like Rice is only ahead of them by a small amount statistically.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

By the logic that Moss is using in regards to Rice having two HOF quarterbacks to work with, it becomes a victim of circumstance argument one can pull out of their pocket when it's to their benefit. Any receiver ever can say they didn't have this QB or that QB, and if they had, they would have had better career numbers. And then where do you draw the line? It's unknown to what degree Rice would have benefited if he played on another team with a revolving door of quarterbacks. But that isn't something Rice could control. 

Also, Moss talks about changing the game, but that was happening way before he played. Moss played in an era where a corner couldn't thrash him all over the field like one could when Lance Alworth played. So that does diminish Moss' accomplishments? 

Moss of course is entitled to his opinion, but the logic he's trying to wrap it around doesn't really make sense. 

I mean, it makes sense. It just doesn’t hold enough water to matter. 

Playing with MVP QBs for most of your career is a massive advantage for your personal stats, reputation as a “winning player”, and capitalizes on your ability as a receiver. It’s not Rice’s fault, as you said it’s out of his control, but it is 100% something he benefitted from that most players don’t. Moss isn’t wrong about that. 

But it’s not enough to detract from calling Rice the greatest. He has that much ground on Moss, IMO. Randy’s the freakiest, but has no argument over Rice in the greatest category IYAM.

SF had the #2 scoring offense the year before Rice was drafted and they won the SB.  I think that has to be considered but you can also make the argument both Rice/TO had pretty great situations as well.  Look at guys like Andre Johnson, Tim Brown and Steve Smith.  They could’ve been in the all time great discussion in similar situations.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Moss is the most talented player to ever play the game. Rice probably the greatest. TO... just not on that level but top of the next tier. It’s a shame two of those guys never won a Championship though. 

Moss is below TO

There s a huge misconception among younger folks that Jerry Rice was like a Hines Ward-esque receiver who only broke all the records because he stuck around longer than everybody else. At his prime Rice was just as big a problem as Moss was, if not bigger, hence the 22 touchdowns in only 12 games.

• Like 2