Jump to content

Kevin King relative to other #2 CB


Recommended Posts

I like King, a lot.  But I'd let him walk and simply draft another corner with one of our first two picks.  He simply isn't available enough.  Maybe that trend ends this year, maybe it doesn't.  But I wouldn't take the chance.

I'm actually so set into this thought that I'd rather re-sign Jones for $10M/year, if I had to choose between the two.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I like to think about when considering whether to sign our FAs is how scared would I be if he (or she) signed with a division rival. 
 

I have to say on a scale where 10 is “a g-g-g-ghost?” and 1 is teetering at the top of a bunny hill, my scaredy-cat level of King signing with a division rival is about a 2.  Let him go, and then line up AJ Dillon wide, throw the WR screen and watch King dive at his legs.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In a normal cap year, resign KK all day long.  The only reason I'm uncertain is the cap situation for next year.  Picking late in the first round doesn't guarantee anything.  Especially not a premium position like CB (which I feel has a decent bust rate already).  Some were clamoring for Josh Jackson instead of Jaire.  If it had been Jackson, we'd be considering that a missed pick (the AJ Hawk conversation, but later in the round).  I'd still consider signing him, but next year's cap is both fluid and unknown. Schrodinger's Cap.

Edited by Smidgeon
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Can't wait for 2021's version of Ladarius Gunter and Damarious Randall.

our CB corps is much much better even w/o King than that group. We have a top 3ish guy and some upside behind him. If he doesn't get paid on his upside, he might stay, but no way am I coming CLOSE to paying him $10million/yr.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

our CB corps is much much better even w/o King than that group. We have a top 3ish guy and some upside behind him. If he doesn't get paid on his upside, he might stay, but no way am I coming CLOSE to paying him $10million/yr.

Agree to disagree. I'm ready to invest in DL/OL and let DB stay put for a change. Way too much capital there lately. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Agree to disagree. I'm ready to invest in DL/OL and let DB stay put for a change. Way too much capital there lately. 

Way too much capital there, but you want to (potentially) overpay an average #2? I'm confused. I think maybe you mean draft capital, but we don't need to replace King with a high draft pick. We have pieces on the roster that can grow, and there will certainly be better value on the market than King.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Way too much capital there, but you want to (potentially) overpay an average #2? I'm confused. I think maybe you mean draft capital, but we don't need to replace King with a high draft pick. We have pieces on the roster that can grow, and there will certainly be better value on the market than King.

This thread proves he's an above average #2.

I don't see anything on this roster that instills any confidence in me that we can just replace King with what's here. Unlike OL and RB.

I'm pretty convinced if the money doesn't go to King, it goes to Linsley or Jones. I don't think this organization let's all 3 go to shop in the outside market. Meaning we'll grab help at the position we don't re-sign in the draft.

2019 King is worth 15 per, this year's King is probably worth 8. To get him for 10 is not an overpay at all IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This thread proves he's an above average #2.

I don't see anything on this roster that instills any confidence in me that we can just replace King with what's here. Unlike OL and RB.

I'm pretty convinced if the money doesn't go to King, it goes to Linsley or Jones. I don't think this organization let's all 3 go to shop in the outside market. Meaning we'll grab help at the position we don't re-sign in the draft.

2019 King is worth 15 per, this year's King is probably worth 8. To get him for 10 is not an overpay at all IMO.

King is ranked 30th in the OP passer rating against. The 30th highest paid CB is currently making $7 per. Factor in availability discount, and I don't think about signing him for anything more than $7 per. 2/12 with a reasonable exit after year one is palatable. Anything more than that is an overpay for who he IS.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, incognito_man said:

King is ranked 30th in the OP passer rating against. The 30th highest paid CB is currently making $7 per. Factor in availability discount, and I don't think about signing him for anything more than $7 per. 2/12 with a reasonable exit after year one is palatable. Anything more than that is an overpay for who he IS.

A 30th ranking is a #1 corner on a couple of teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

A 30th ranking is a #1 corner on a couple of teams.

Those teams must be hurting on pass defense then.  Having King as their #1 would make for some fun football tv.  Agree with incog, he's ok but not worth 10 mil a year especially with tight cap next year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...