Kevin King relative to other #2 CB

squire12

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

King is ranked 30th in the OP passer rating against. The 30th highest paid CB is currently making $7 per. Factor in availability discount, and I don't think about signing him for anything more than $7 per. 2/12 with a reasonable exit after year one is palatable. Anything more than that is an overpay for who he IS.

CB is not a position Im willing to risk it. If Jordan Love was our QB, sure. Rodgers is 38 next year, give me the sure thing.

2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Totally depends on the cost .. how much does he want?  In Gute I trust.  

Yes. Kevin King is a fine #2 based on the combination of his "ilities" - ability and availability. If he wants #2 money ($5million/year) I keep him. But he will garner more on the market (despite the wonkiness of the cap next year) and price himself above that due to CB scarcity. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

It just doesn't make sense on any level to overpay an underperforming CB 2 on this team in a year in which we're among the teams in the worst cap shape.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes. Kevin King is a fine #2 based on the combination of his "ilities" - ability and availability. If he wants #2 money ($5million/year) I keep him. But he will garner more on the market (despite the wonkiness of the cap next year) and price himself above that due to CB scarcity. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

It just doesn't make sense on any level to overpay an underperforming CB 2 on this team in a year in which we're among the teams in the worst cap shape.

That's the exact time to pay someone at a premium position? You think the unrestricted market will be more kind?? 

You don't mess with QB, OT, EDGE or CB. Weak at any of those 4 and you're a pretender and not a contender. You don't risk it with Rodgers playing this well at his age.

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don’t re-sign King I get a new defensive coordinator and sign any one of the 29-30 year old corners who will get cut or not re-signed for a bargain.

It works literally every year.

Or I just re-sign King for one year, two tops.

I am pretty much in this boat for now. I also wouldn't be against bringing King back longer term as long as the average is 1 digit. I need to see what the cap will look like next year though

9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I am pretty much in this boat for now. I also wouldn't be against bringing King back longer term as long as the average is 1 digit. I need to see what the cap will look like next year though

Based on a lot of the commentary, it seems both players and owners want a flat cap. The question is how many years they want to borrow from into the future. 

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I’m beginning to get the feeling that there’s a much better chance that Linsley gets the money that we’ve expected to go to King/Jones than people think. 

I got the feeling Linsley was gone when we drafted 3 Interior offensive lineman this season and a really good one the year before that. Also signed one who can play inside and out too (Turner).

53 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

CB is not a position Im willing to risk it. If Jordan Love was our QB, sure. Rodgers is 38 next year, give me the sure thing.

“Sure thing?”  I think you meant “known quantity”.

And if this is how he plays in his contract year, my confidence in him next year is supposed to be what, brimming with confidence?

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:
23 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Based on a lot of the commentary, it seems both players and owners want a flat cap. The question is how many years they want to borrow from into the future. 

I admittedly haven't been following it as closely as I should. I'm not sure what we are looking at, but the initial estimate of $175m likely took into account the season having fans for part of the season. If we are looking at $40m ish taking from future years, with 2020 at $198m, I would hope they could get away with only 5 years taking $8m from each. With the new Amazon deal maybe it could be expedited. 

11 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I’m beginning to get the feeling that there’s a much better chance that Linsley gets the money that we’ve expected to go to King/Jones than people think. 

Meh. Slide Elgton to C, play Runyan and either Turner, Patrick or Lane Taylor at the other G, and Wagner or Turner at RT. I am happy with that and continue to draft a guy or two each year. These days I'd rather pay the big bucks to tackles and save on the interior.

Wouldn't be mad either with playing Elgton at RT and drafting a C or G. I think Runyan - Patrick - Turner is serviceable inside, but am more comfortable with Patrick being OL6

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Meh. Slide Elgton to C, play Runyan and either Turner, Patrick or Lane Taylor at the other G, and Wagner or Turner at RT. I am happy with that and continue to draft a guy or two each year. These days I'd rather pay the big bucks to tackles and save on the interior.

Wouldn't be mad either with playing Elgton at RT and drafting a C or G. I think Runyan - Patrick - Turner is serviceable inside, but am more comfortable with Patrick being OL6

Don't forget Stepaniak at G. He may be better than either of the other two rookie OLmen. I would keep Turner and Wagner at T and let the three rookies, Jenkins, Patrick, and Taylor compete in the IOL. 

That said, I want Linsley back for the playoffs this year. Patrick needs to go to the bench.

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I should clarify I wouldn’t want to pay Linsley personally, I just see a scenario where we pay him market value for say 2 years and this allows us more flexibility to get Jenkins out to RT as Linsley is a much safer bet to solidify the interior than the young guys until we really know what we have with them. If the interior continues to struggle the way it did against Carolina without Corey, I think it only improves the odds.