Kevin King relative to other #2 CB

squire12

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That's the exact time to pay someone at a premium position? You think the unrestricted market will be more kind?? 

You don't mess with QB, OT, EDGE or CB. Weak at any of those 4 and you're a pretender and not a contender. You don't risk it with Rodgers playing this well at his age.

Sorry, not at 12 million a year.  Think they go different way at that price.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 5:25 PM, Sasquatch said:

I sign King back if he’s affordable.  But yesterday, he accounted for half of Teddy’s passing yards,had two stupid penalties, and tackled like he was hurt.  Very bad game.  That said, I don’t know what the answer is moving forward.

You have to wonder if he isn't hurt.  I don't like the way he tackles.

He just looks like he is playing stiff to me right now and slow.  He ran a 4.43 at the combine but its not showing up on the field.  He was chased down easily from behind last night after the fumble recovery by another receiver who also ran a 4.4 time.  I see a 4.60 - 4.70 guy out on the field.  He doesn't look like he trusts his speed.  He does not wrap up but rather tries to tackle you with a shoulder block without wrapping up.

We are also going to be over $20 million over the cap next year....so if he wants say $10 million per year....we're going to have to pass and draft a replacement or sign another free agent who has been cut.

Get me J.C. Jackson from New England....25 years old and a RFA this off season.

Edited by minnypackerfan

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

He just looks like he is playing stiff to me right now and slow.  He ran a 4.43 at the combine but its not showing up on the field.  He was chased down easily from behind last night after the fumble recovery by another receiver who also ran a 4.4 time.  I see a 4.60 - 4.70 guy out on the field.  He doesn't look like he trusts his speed.  He does not wrap up but rather tries to tackle you with a shoulder block without wrapping up.

We are also going to be over $20 million over the cap next year....so if he wants say $10 million per year....we're going to have to pass and draft a replacement or sign another free agent who has been cut.

10 million is too much but we're going to steal a guy away from the Patriots who had 8 picks?

9 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Totally depends on the cost .. how much does he want?  In Gute I trust.  

This.

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Yes. Kevin King is a fine #2 based on the combination of his "ilities" - ability and availability. If he wants #2 money ($5million/year) I keep him. But he will garner more on the market (despite the wonkiness of the cap next year) and price himself above that due to CB scarcity. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

It just doesn't make sense on any level to overpay an underperforming CB 2 on this team in a year in which we're among the teams in the worst cap shape.

And this.

Going into this season, we had 5 big FAs.  David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, Kevin King, and Corey Linsley.  We already paid two of them, and we paid them a lot.  I would let the other three walk and get the comp picks that they hopefully bring.  Paying any of the three fair market value puts an unnecessary strain on the cap, which will be tighter than normal already.  We can probably bring back:  Jamaal Williams, Marcedes Lewis, and one of Tavon Austin or Tyler Ervin for the cost of one of these players.

I think you have to listen to the medical guys, they have worked with him for 4 years so should know his physical condition and have some indication over ongoing injury proneness. They should know whether he is playing hurt - again do we do speed tests in practise to determine speed loss ?

If the professionals give him the thumbs up then yes happy to re-sign.  If there are doubts then no. The cap will be difficult to negotiate as it is so you cannot gamble a big chunk of it on that someone with question marks.

Although depending on what the cap is set to, the Bakh signing may have already ended any possibility of re-signing him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I should clarify I wouldn’t want to pay Linsley personally, I just see a scenario where we pay him market value for say 2 years and this allows us more flexibility to get Jenkins out to RT as Linsley is a much safer bet to solidify the interior than the young guys until we really know what we have with them. If the interior continues to struggle the way it did against Carolina without Corey, I think it only improves the odds.  

This just doesn't make sense to me.

If we are over-flowing with money then yes. But we aren't.  Third contract on a guy in a non-premium position who has started picking up injuries. That's before taking into account we have a number of young interior line draft picks. If you are going to manage the cap, you have to move on in this scenario and trust the young guys or its not going to work.

I'd like to see us keep drafting linemen every year in the 4th or 5th round. They aren't going to all work out but seems a pretty good use of those picks. 

Paying King scares me, but I don't think I can agree with a lot of the criticism of him I see. 

People rag on him for missing tackles, but what boundary CBs in the NFL don't these days?  Most of his misses are trying to trigger downhill and not being able to bring down a guy moving laterally, a tackle that gets missed usually multiple times per quarter.  People are talking about wanting JC Jackson, well he's missed 8 tackles this year on a 20.5% MT percentage, worse than King.  Hell even Jaire, a guy I think we can all agree doesn't struggle with tackling, is sitting at 9.8% this year and averages about 11% for his career.  Bring down ball carriers in space is hard.  I care less about a guy being able to make every tackle these days than that they're willing to put their body in there, and King is an absolute madman in terms of throwing his body around.  

22 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

Then there's stuff like this.  I wonder if King was run down from behind because he was on the field for every snap of a 13 play drive, while DJ Moore was only in on about half, and spent most of it spectating the run game from the perimeter?  

His coverage is consistently tight, and even when he's beaten it's usually a great throw.  That's what happens with 6'3" corners.  If you're expecting him to be Jaire, you're going to be disappointed because physically speaking you're asking the impossible.  He's a length corner who wants to play the ball, and so far in 2020 he's giving up less than 3 catches and ~40 yards a game, with only a single TD allowed, and he's done it with 100% of his snaps being on the boundary.  That's a guy worth paying, I just don't know if I can pay him with what Jaire's going to cost in a few years.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

No way we're getting him away from NE for less than 11 mil a season and even that might be a conservative number...

Just now, Joe said:

No way we're getting him away from NE for less than 11 mil a season and even that might be a conservative number...

I know its a pipe dream especially since he is an RFA and we're way over the cap to begin with.  But its still nice dreaming about it.  He would be great with Alexander.

We're so far over the cap that we need to cut/restructure 4 - 5 guys just to get under.  Not sure how we can even afford King unless he comes cheap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

I know its a pipe dream especially since he is an RFA and we're way over the cap to begin with.  But its still nice dreaming about it.  He would be great with Alexander.

We're so far over the cap that we need to cut/restructure 4 - 5 guys just to get under.  Not sure how we can even afford King unless he comes cheap.

There's some in this forum that would pay him 12 million a year and not even blink.  He's not going to come cheap should he be resigned.    

5 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

I think injuries bring his number below 9 mil a year. No way we're dumb enough to fall for another player who somehow stayed healthy during a contract year and produced *cough Nick Perry cough cough Joe Johnson 2001 cough cough*

He's what we need out of a CB2...

Edited by Joe