Kevin King relative to other #2 CB

squire12

10 hours ago, Donzo said:

I don't want the  Packers to resign King, but this is complete nonsense. He's had a bad quad since the bye week. It can take a while for that to get right. When healthy, which is a rarity, he's as athletic as ever.

And that's the issue. Its not just the missed games, he always seems to have a bad something which is affecting him. You have to listen to the docs as to how likely future injuries are. They've been working with him 4 years. If they think its just bad luck which should clear up then fine go ahead and sign him.

10 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Can't wait for 2022 when King is balling on another team and everyone is saying how bad our FO is for letting him go. Casey Hayward 2.0

Sitton, Bulaga, Lang, Daniels etc etc

If you let someone go because of injury risk, there is a chance they will be fine and you will be kicking yourself. But there is also a good chance, you have swerved an expensive mistake. Listen to the advice, weigh up the probabilities, make your decision and no regrets. Too many people judge decisions on the outcome when its the process. 

Lets say, the experts thought Haywood had a 25% chance he would be OK and fulfill his potential and a 75% chance he would be riddled with injuries for the rest of his career. In that scenario, we did the right thing to let him walk. But 25% is still a chance, just because that was what happened doesn't necessarily mean it was the wrong decision.

Re King. Its a lot of money. I would want the medical guys to be very confident in him going forward.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Sitton, Bulaga, Lang, Daniels etc etc

If you let someone go because of injury risk, there is a chance they will be fine and you will be kicking yourself. But there is also a good chance, you have swerved an expensive mistake. Listen to the advice, weigh up the probabilities, make your decision and no regrets. Too many people judge decisions on the outcome when its the process. 

Lets say, the experts thought Haywood had a 25% chance he would be OK and fulfill his potential and a 75% chance he would be riddled with injuries for the rest of his career. In that scenario, we did the right thing to let him walk. But 25% is still a chance, just because that was what happened doesn't necessarily mean it was the wrong decision.

Re King. Its a lot of money. I would want the medical guys to be very confident in him going forward.

Ages 30, 31, 30, and 30 respectively. 

King will be 26

It's like none of you watched the Vikings destroy their season this year by going into the offseason thinking it's easy to replace CBs and you don't need to pay them.

This is the exact reason you don't sign a big name ILB, you don't pay Jones or Linsley and you roll with draft picks at WR. So you can pay Clark, Bakh, King and Jaire. Obviously King will be significantly less than those 3, but you still pay him.

• Like 5

The divide on King here and in general is fascinating to me.  I can’t remember any player on this team with a bigger split on opinions of him. I don’t like his game at all personally, but I can see why some are nervous we’ll end up worse there if we don’t give him what he wants. 

3 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

Can't wait for 2022 when King is balling on another team and everyone is saying how bad our FO is for letting him go. Casey Hayward 2.0

Atrocious comparison.

Hayward played in every game his last two seasons with the Packers. King hasn't come close to that and has played hurt a lot of the games he actually did play in. And, the Packers cap situation will be much worse in 2021 than it was when Hayward was  FA in 2016. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It's like none of you watched the Vikings destroy their season this year by going into the offseason thinking it's easy to replace CBs and you don't need to pay them.

Atrocious comparison.

The vikes replaced 3 of their top 5 CBs with rookies. Without King, the Packers will return 3 of their top 4 CBs and probably 3 or 4 more that are already on one of their rosters. And, the vikes have a lot more issues than their CB position.

9 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Atrocious comparison.

The vikes replaced 3 of their top 5 CBs with rookies. Without King, the Packers will return 3 of their top 4 CBs and probably 3 or 4 more that are already on one of their rosters. And, the vikes have a lot more issues than their CB position.

Does anyone trust Josh Jackson or Ka'Dar Hollman as starting CBs?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Atrocious comparison.

We return a slot only CB in Sullivan and then Jackson and Holloman. Doesn't matter what you return if it isn't good.

I'd take the Vikings group of Hill, Gladney and Hughes over Sullivan, Jackson and Holloman any day.

It would essentially be another year where we're forced to spend high picks on the secondary....again and ignore OL/DL....again.

Just re-sign King.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Atrocious comparison.

Hayward played in every game his last two seasons with the Packers. King hasn't come close to that and has played hurt a lot of the games he actually did play in. And, the Packers cap situation will be much worse in 2021 than it was when Hayward was  FA in 2016. 

King has never had as bad of a game as Hayward had against the Broncos. There were legitimate fears that Hayward just couldn't hang on the boundary.

We're not that cap strapped. Z will very likely restructure. Rodgers is a restructure candidate, and Adams is a very likely candidate for an extension that sheds cap in year 1. 

You've got space to get everybody signed off you need to.

28 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Atrocious comparison.

Oh boy, we return Ka'dar Hollman? Well why didn't you say so?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

King has never had as bad of a game as Hayward had against the Broncos. There were legitimate fears that Hayward just couldn't hang on the boundary.

We're not that cap strapped. Z will very likely restructure. Rodgers is a restructure candidate, and Adams is a very likely candidate for an extension that sheds cap in year 1. 

You've got space to get everybody signed off you need to.

Legit question, how did Hayward go from being so incapable of playing on the boundary with us, to being one of the best CBs in football the second he signed with the Chargers?

I'm with everyone wanting to keep the continuity at the CB position for once. We need to stop drafting musical chairs at the CB position, lock up your top 2 guys, King this offseason and Jaire the next, and start working on the trenches of this defense again. We don't need another Quinten Rollins/Josh Jackson again.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ages 30, 31, 30, and 30 respectively. 

King will be 26

I know.

Generally I would be in the 'give a second contract but not a third camp'. But I don't want to give a big contract to a guy who is a significant injury risk. Players usually get more injured not less as they get older. 

Hence why this comes down to the advice from the medical staff. If they don't think this is a significantly higher chance of getting injured in the future and his contract is sensible and we have cap room then I would sign him. He is good enough when healthy. If they have concerns then no.

A lot of guys let go due to injury concerns. Its easy to get upset about the Haywoods and forget the times we dodged a bullet.