Kevin King relative to other #2 CB

squire12

1 hour ago, Pick6byWoodson said:

Legit question, how did Hayward go from being so incapable of playing on the boundary with us, to being one of the best CBs in football the second he signed with the Chargers?

1. He didn't become one of the best CBs in football the second he joined the Chargers. He had an uncharacteristically great year in 2016 where he had a bunch of picks, then was good to passable in 2017 and has been a worse player than Kevin King since. Packers fans just love to woe is me about departed free agents. 

2. Scheme played a part in it. The concern about Hayward was always his ability to play vertically. If you need your Corners to hold up vertically, Hayward wasn't your guy on the boundary. If you're willing to protect your Corners over the top, Hayward's your man. 

8 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

Can't wait for 2022 when King is balling on another team and everyone is saying how bad our FO is for letting him go. Casey Hayward 2.0

I think our FO is right to let him go and I think there's a decent chance he balls out somewhere else.

Just not a risk I'm willing to take to pay CB1 money to an unavailable CB2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

We return a slot only CB in Sullivan and then Jackson and Holloman. Doesn't matter what you return if it isn't good.

I'd take the Vikings group of Hill, Gladney and Hughes over Sullivan, Jackson and Holloman any day.

It would essentially be another year where we're forced to spend high picks on the secondary....again and ignore OL/DL....again.

Just re-sign King.

Couldn't they just sign another vet to a cheaper/shorter deal? Even if they were to spend a high pick at CB, so what? It's an important position and it's only a single pick. Drafting a CB high doesn't preclude substantively addressing OL/DL or any other problem area. 

King has been a demonstrably average performer with durability issues. Parking a guy like that in the starting lineup for 3-4 years at ~$10m/yr isn't some no-brainer decision. It's a parley bet that a 4th year player/starter somehow still has significant upside to be realized and is also going to reverse a well-established injury track record. Unless both of those happen, a long-term deal for King isn't going to be good value.

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ages 30, 31, 30, and 30 respectively. 

King will be 26

So being 26 he should be healthier as he's much younger than those other old guys.  Being hurt and unavailable as much as he has been at age 23,24,25 is a red flag that has to be realized.  At a reasonable cost ... fine; more than 10 mill - hard pass.  

18 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not very good at making plays on the ball? Based on what? Man's allowed 1 TD on the year. 

Can't pay top dollar for a #1 and #2 CB? Again, based on what? We're paying our ILBs nothing. We're paying our RBs nothing. We're paying WRs 2-5 nothing. You do that so you can pay the premiums. 

Unless he's not a premium.  All in the eye of the beholder.  

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

I know.

Generally I would be in the 'give a second contract but not a third camp'. But I don't want to give a big contract to a guy who is a significant injury risk. Players usually get more injured not less as they get older. 

Hence why this comes down to the advice from the medical staff. If they don't think this is a significantly higher chance of getting injured in the future and his contract is sensible and we have cap room then I would sign him. He is good enough when healthy. If they have concerns then no.

A lot of guys let go due to injury concerns. Its easy to get upset about the Haywoods and forget the times we dodged a bullet. 

Difference being King has no structural problems at all that we know of. If you're going to write somebody off as an injury black flag, you need to have a reason for it, and "miscellaneous soft tissue muscle injuries" isn't something you kill somebody over in the same way you would a bad back or bone-on-bone knee rubbing. 

55 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

So being 26 he should be healthier as he's much younger than those other old guys.  Being hurt and unavailable as much as he has been at age 23,24,25 is a red flag that has to be realized.  At a reasonable cost ... fine; more than 10 mill - hard pass.  

You're not really going to flag a guy for an injury that isn't structural. 

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Difference being King has no structural problems at all that we know of. If you're going to write somebody off as an injury black flag, you need to have a reason for it, and "miscellaneous soft tissue muscle injuries" isn't something you kill somebody over in the same way you would a bad back or bone-on-bone knee rubbing. 

Again to reiterate for about the 4th time, I would take medical advice from the experts. Repeated muscular injuries is an issue and I would want some reassurance from the experts. I'm not writing anyone off as an injury flag.

If we don’t retain King, we don’t necessarily have to settle for a rookie or one of Hollman/Jackson. Someone like Cameron Sutton or Mackensie Alexander would probably cost a similar price to King and give us an entirely different skillset in a #2 corner. Not saying that’s my preference, but it’s an option that doesn’t necessarily mean an immediate downgrade.