Should We Resign Trubisky?

Bowler1215

Trubisky has played well as of late, the guy we were hoping to be when we traded up to get him in 17.  Has his play justified getting him resigned, even if it's a year or two?  Personally, I wouldn't mind him getting a one year 'prove it' type deal, what do you guys think?

Positives:

Could be a one year 'prove it' type deal

Familiairty of the offense, especially if we keep our current coaching staff.

1st round pick doesn't have to be QB, it could be LT(highly likely), offensive playmaker, even a defensive player(doubtful but you never know with the draft)

Negatives:

Would Trubisky want to resign here, especially after he was benched?

He might want more money than what we'd offer

What happens if he regresses?  Start Foles again?  Or another veteran QB if we sign one?  Or a rookie QB if we draft one? 

He's gone no matter what happens, even if by some miracle we win the Super Bowl. 

Both Nagy and Lazor have said that his benching has caused Mitch to reassess things and (I guess) work harder. They both characterized it as "he's grown".

Whatever the hell that means.

But we've seen similar Trubisky nonsense before. Haywire Mitch even threw an incredibly stupid interception late in the game that almost led to a Vikings win. 

Mitch shouldn't be re-signed. If, by some miracle, he goes off and has a good career as a starter, more power to him...but that SHOULD be with another team. I've said it many times before, I'll say it again, once Mitch was benched this year, Pace should have traded him for whatever the highest offer was. That would have been the best move for the team--but obviously not for Pace, so here we are, having discussions about this sort of thing. 

If the Bears make the playoffs, Pace and Nagy will likely stay, and Mitch will be inked to a one-year, prove it deal. Which will only further serve to set the franchise back. If the Bears DON'T make the playoffs, Pace and Nagy are gone, and so is Mitch. The better option for the future health of the franchise is if they don't make the playoffs.

Also...let's not harbor any illusions about the Bears' offense, folks. Very little of this recent success is about Trubisky. It's about the emergence of David Montgomery. Who may end up being the sort of back I thought he would be when he was drafted. 

15 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

For a year for 7 figures? Sure.

Otherwise, I need to see more. He played well against 3 of the 10 worst defenses in football.

Exactly. His career is full of good to great games against bad defenses and trash outcomes vs good ones. I'm not mortgaging anything on him. 

That being said we need to get young talent in that group. If Lazor makes Tru look like a franchise QB he'll be getting Joe Brady hype, and Nagy wont be able to replicate that. 

I want to clean house and move on. 

• Like 1

No. I'm not falling for this. 

Besides, I don't see how they could even work a deal at this point because if you sign Mitch to a 8-10M deal then you almost have to release Foles, and if you do that then we're taking another 3.7M hit against the cap which makes that 8-10M deal more like 12-14M.

Mitch: 8-10M,
Foles: 3.7M
1RD QB: 2M 

Unless they're not planning on going after a QB in the 1st and rolling with Mitch/Foles again---which I don't wanna see again.  

There is almost no chance that he stays. Mitch is auditioning for the rest of the league as a FA and if he keeps playing like he has then another team will take a flyer and give him a contract similar to Mariota's in hopes of salvaging what's left of him.

If we get rid of Nagy and replace him with Arthur Smith then yeah...Trubisky will only ever be effective in a run heavy play action offence where he is making easy west cost throws to big targets at WR...asking him to win games throwing the ball 35 times and hitting deep passes to small speedy WRs is never going to work.

I am not sure what our options are?

He is better than the realistic other veterans.

We aren’t going to be picking high enough to guarantee a big time rookie.

I have a crazy idea? Why don’t we keep running this style of Offense, with an even better OL, while we look for the new QB.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

If we get rid of Nagy and replace him with Arthur Smith then yeah...Trubisky will only ever be effective in a run heavy play action offence where he is making easy west cost throws to big targets at WR...asking him to win games throwing the ball 35 times and hitting deep passes to small speedy WRs is never going to work.

Then fire Nagy. We have a better chance of  improving the OL and hiring a good coach then we do of finding an elite enough QB to run his ridiculous system.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Besides, I don't see how they could even work a deal at this point because if you sign Mitch to a 8-10M deal then you almost have to release Foles, and if you do that then we're taking another 3.7M hit against the cap which makes that 8-10M deal more like 12-14M.

Unless they're not planning on going after a QB in the 1st and rolling with Mitch/Foles again---which I don't wanna see again.  

There is almost no chance that he stays. Mitch is auditioning for the rest of the league as a FA and if he keeps playing like he has then another team will take a flyer and give him a contract similar to Mariota's in hopes of salvaging what's left of him.

They can afford to pay him a Mariota deal.

I am not sure what the other option? You literally cannot start Foles without everyone losing their jobs. He almost got everyone fired this season.

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not only that, why would Tru want to come back if Nagy is here? What is his benefit? If I was Tru I wouldn't want to re-sign here unless they really overpaid compared to the rest of the market.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

They can afford to pay him a Mariota deal.

I am not sure what the other option? You literally cannot start Foles without everyone losing their jobs. He almost got everyone fired this season.

You can't start Mitch either though. We've seen that movie before. 

45 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Not only that, why would Tru want to come back if Nagy is here? What is his benefit? If I was Tru I wouldn't want to re-sign here unless they really overpaid compared to the rest of the market.

Yep. A good change of scenery with a vet HC behind a vet QB may be good for him. He as low-end starter/high-end backup potential and that's valuable in this league.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

Let's wait til the end of the season to see what happens will we?

People get way too high or low and emotional after a few games.

I've maintained all along that regardless of their record at the end of this season ...a playoff less season is more than reasonable grounds to fire the entire coaching staff and front office staff.

If Pace is fired then I doubt we see Mitch return ...but regardless this team needs to finish strong and actually achieve something before we can talk about any jobs being saved going into next season

• Like 2