Should We Resign Trubisky?

Bowler1215

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I find it ironic how so many are now coming out and saying they want Mitch to return next year after bashing him earlier this season...doesn't get any better than this xD

I've consistently said I want him back next year pending how he looks to close out the season. He just dropped three 30 burgers in a row, and that Vikings defense is ranked top 10 in DVOA so that "bum slayer" angle some fans have can pound sand.

55 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Bears fans are so desperate for good QB play that we make irrational thoughts when it comes to determining what is the best option for the QB spot

It’s fine to be excited by these games and it’s fine to want Mitch to be the stop-gap. We just have to remember that we’ve seen him for 3.5 years and that he’s not the answer as a QBotF.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I find it ironic how so many are now coming out and saying they want Mitch to return next year after bashing him earlier this season...doesn't get any better than this xD

I won’t hide from it. I’d be okay with resigning him. 

I’m real conflicted on all of this.  In the middle of the 6 game skid i was still in the group saying as long as they’re not eliminated from the playoffs, i want them to win.  Then after the Detroit loss i started to shift to fire everybody, lose out, and secure the highest pick available.

Now it looks like they’ll be drafting in the mid teens at the best (or worst depending on how you look at it).

I get that if they make the playoffs anything can happen and it’s all about getting hot at the right time.  But I’m also not about to put any money on the bears winning the super bowl.  Making the playoffs would almost certainly keep Nagy and Pace here another year, regardless of the outcome, and I’m not sure if i trust those two going forward.  IMO it’s gotta be all or nothing.  Either both get fired or both get kept, none of this half-cocked stuff.

At this point I’m more firmly on the apathetic crew - whatever happens, happens.  Just tell me when to turn on the TV.

As for Mitch,  i think the biggest factor for him wanting to return here is that Chicago presents the best opportunity for him to be a day 1 starter.  But what happens with the decision to keep/fire Nagy I’m sure will weigh heavily in his decision.  So will the outcome with Allen Robinson.  But if he hits the open market he can likely gain a lot more money than he would from Chicago.  

Mitch has played well the last 3 games, but like @JAF-N72EX said, I’m just not buying it.  I’m happy he’s playing well and i want him to continue playing like this and succeed in the NFL, but i think this has been more of an aberration that the “real” Mitch.  And a game against JAX and possibly a secondary unit from the Packers won’t really do much to convince me otherwise.

But like others have said, it’s hard to make any firm decisions right now given that the playoffs are still within reach.  We should have a much clearer picture for the future of this team in two weeks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Mitch has played well the last 3 games, but like @JAF-N72EX said, I’m just not buying it.  

He's playing well but he's done that before. And then things come crashing back down to earth. Nagy is indicating that Mitch's benching has changed him, but I'm not taking anything Nagy says at face value anymore. 

• Like 1

Just now, Heinz D. said:

He's playing well but he's done that before. And then things come crashing back down to earth. Nagy is indicating that Mitch's benching has changed him, but I'm not taking anything Nagy says at face value anymore. 

Exactly.  If we didn’t have Foles here next year I’d be open to signing Mitch to a one or two year deal and drafting a QB high.  But i see no way they’d be able to have Mitch, Foles, and a 1st or 2nd round rookie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Exactly.  If we didn’t have Foles here next year I’d be open to signing Mitch to a one or two year deal and drafting a QB high.  But i see no way they’d be able to have Mitch, Foles, and a 1st or 2nd round rookie.

Foles is a sunk cost. You can’t start him. He is awful without and All Pro offense and he won’t have that next year.

The offensive talent is better running this under centre, play action, roll out offense and Foles can’t do any of that.

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

As for Mitch,  i think the biggest factor for him wanting to return here is that Chicago presents the best opportunity for him to be a day 1 starter.  But what happens with the decision to keep/fire Nagy I’m sure will weigh heavily in his decision.  So will the outcome with Allen Robinson.  But if he hits the open market he can likely gain a lot more money than he would from Chicago.  

The thing is I'm sure Mitch will want longer term security than just one year and if Pace and Nagy both return they probably will be doing so on a short leash so I'm not sure how they can justify signing Mitch to a long term extension when both may only be here for another year tops.

It's a tricky situation. Personally I don't think he'll be back unless this team goes on a run into the playoffs and Mitch plays extremely well down the stretch 

I've always supported and believed in Mitch but I'm just being realistic 

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine with Mitch back at a certain price point.

Tagging him is an insane use of resources.

1 year 10 million and see what happens.

Tag is out of the question.

$10 million seems reasonable but what if another team like the Pats come calling offering the same type of deal.

If I'm Mitch I know where I'm going in that case