Should We Resign Trubisky?

Bowler1215

6 minutes ago, Epyon said:

imo draft and throw the kid into the deep end....Just have to cater the offense down, and build the kid up as the season(s) go along. Even Manning sucked his first year.

"Bridge QB" to me just says "expensive FA loser". We can lose just fine with a Rook, and actually get him game experience in the meantime, while using the $$ not spent on said Bridge QB fixing other issues.

I am not super interested in tossing the 5th or 6th rated QB in the draft out there in a mediocre offense.

Maybe a top guy, but we aren’t in that market.

I'm with @Epyon here. By a ton of people's eyes Mahomes was the 5th or 6th guy and would likely rank even lower in this draft for his "issues." Draft position by scouts and armchair GMs like us mean nothing. Put them in the deep end and let them sink or swim. It doesn't take 5 years to know you've got a franchise QB usually. If you're a head coach and can't see you have a massive talent at that position within a year or so then you deserve to be fired.

If you draft a QB to me you're not still tied to him for any length of time either. That marriage starts at the second contract. If the kid sucks than you can use the better pick (assuming the defense doesn't prop up the record like it has these last 2 years) and go after another. Let them battle it out and now you don't need scraps from other teams' rosters.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2020 at 12:25 AM, Sugashane said:

I'm with @Epyon here. By a ton of people's eyes Mahomes was the 5th or 6th guy and would likely rank even lower in this draft for his "issues." Draft position by scouts and armchair GMs like us mean nothing. Put them in the deep end and let them sink or swim. It doesn't take 5 years to know you've got a franchise QB usually. If you're a head coach and can't see you have a massive talent at that position within a year or so then you deserve to be fired.

If you draft a QB to me you're not still tied to him for any length of time either. That marriage starts at the second contract. If the kid sucks than you can use the better pick (assuming the defense doesn't prop up the record like it has these last 2 years) and go after another. Let them battle it out and now you don't need scraps from other teams' rosters.

Nearly everyone hated Josh Allen. He was practically declared a bust before he even took a snap. Justin Herbert was viewed as raw and likely to bust.

Drafting a good QB involves a certain amount of luck. And since that's outside of the organization's control, the best thing to do is to draft QBs often and give them early opportunities to play.

The Bears' problems at the QB position aren't unique or rare. It's just that the Bears don't draft many QBs and don't move on from the wrong guy soon enough.

• Like 2

I think generally ownership wants to keep Pace and Nagy in place. They've had *some* success in the NFL and, truthfully, firing/replacing either one is going to cost $$$ that they lost due to the pandemic.

Does Phillips "retire", Pace take his role and someone like John Dorsey get hired as GM? I don't know, maybe. I doubt it, but maybe. You don't let someone overhaul Halas Hall and fire him a season or two later; there is some clout/respect there in my opinion.

Pagano has to go, but what quality defensive coordinator is going to come here knowing Nagy is a lame duck? (funny how this is an inverse of the Lovie Smith years -- what a stupid ******* franchise)... perhaps you can elevate Jay Rodgers and replace him with a young, driven kid at DL coach or an older, experienced retread.

I don't think I bring Robinson back; he's a hard worker, great teammate, but he's just not an elite #1 to me. He left way too many plays on the field with having TDs ripped out of his hands, resulting in INTs. He's kicked balls into the air that wound up being intercepted. He's had timely drops or not effectively securing the ball in the endzone on a throw that 85% of the league would have caught and gotten two feet in for a TD. We need someone with size and speed. If dude wants to return for $15-$16M per year I'd kick the tires. I think he wants $18M plus.

Trubisky is what he is at this point. Former NFL coaches have said you can win with him, I'm inclined to agree, but if you go that route you have to take a hard look at what Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, Sean McVay, Kevin Stefanski etc are running. They have had success in the league marrying the run and pass game and making things easier for the QB. We don't need to be running this Harvard level **** that Nagy is hell bent on shoving down our throat. That scheme, truthfully, is only working in Kansas City right now with an elite QB and a Hall of Fame head coach.

We have neither, here. Pick a ******* direction and go, enough of this hodge podge bull****.

• Like 1