Stanton talks about last season

buno67

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/12/drew-stanton-where-it-went-wrong-for-baker-mayfield-and-freddie-kitchens-and-why-its-great-for-the-qb-now.html

Stanton, who was signed in 2018 specifically to mentor Mayfield, urged Haslam to take a fearless inventory of his organization so that Mayfield would no longer be caught in the crosshairs of the dysfunctional. By then, Freddie Kitchens — who will call plays for the 5-8 Giants against the 9-4 Browns tonight on Sunday Night Football — had already been fired after going 6-10 in his first season, and GM John Dorsey was about to get the axe. The future of their 2018 No. 1 overall pick was hanging in the balance.

“Before you put all your eggs in a basket, you want to make sure, was it coaching? Was it the atmosphere? Was it the culture? Was it the front office? Was it the players?’' Stanton said. “Baker went in brazen coming off of a very strong, record-breaking rookie year, and tried to clean up a lot of different messes, some of which he wasn’t able to do.’'

“There were a lot of circumstances that were out of Freddie’s control, and some of the stuff he did have control over,’' Stanton said. “When there’s so much on your plate as a head coach, to try and find continuity, to try and try and find synergy can be difficult.’'

Stanton said Kitchens didn’t really know offensive coordinator Todd Monken or defensive coordinator Steve Wilks that well when they were hired. What Stanton described as ‘an obvious disconnect’ between Monken and Kitchens was evident from the start when Kitchens said he didn’t really know what the Air Raid offense, which was the basis of Monken’s philosophy.”

“Things got so bad that Odell Beckham Jr. went to Monken at the bye week, with the Browns 2-4, and asked for an air-clearing session.

“Quite honestly, I’m sure Odell wanted to be involved more and that’s the premise of why he wanted to talk to Todd,’' Stanton said. “So Todd said ‘let’s get everybody in a room.’ We tried to get it smoothed out, and it was difficult. Obviously, the meeting didn’t have the desired effect.’'

“What’s more, the analytics group tried to get Kitchens to use their input, and one source told Cleveland.com that the Monday meetings had Kitchens overthinking things on gameday. As it was, he already had three or four others providing input, including Monken, quarterbacks coach Ryan Lindley and Stanton.

“As a coach, you don’t have the ability to choose who’s in the building or what’s going on,’' said Stanton.”

and much much more. Don’t want to keep quoting. So much stuff to talk about! It’s a great read!!!

• Like 2

Just now, candyman93 said:

That first drive against Tennessee week 1 was a blue balls moment.

I was at a wedding and I was so pissed to miss the debut of "the dream team". I looked at my phone mid-ceremony to realize that I would be getting hammered for two reasons that night.