Dwayne Haskins and the Future

lavar703

Haskins struggled to start the day. He was inaccurate and his decision making was questionable and a lot of us wanted him benched. He’s not perfect and his game has a long ways to go but I love what I saw from him in the fourth quarter. No quit at all and he showed the arm that a few of us fell in love with at Ohio State. 

Let’s be real here, he’s clearly behind other young QBs in his development. We knew he was a project when he was picked and for all the comparisons to Tua, Herbert, Hurts etc all of those guys have more starting experience and weren’t thrust into a stupid situation where the coach didn’t want him. He’s now been through 4 offenses (Gruden/Callahan/KOC/Turner) in his almost two years and that simply isn’t conducive to developing a young passer. I understand the frustrations fans have with his social media presence and the things he does and says occasionally but he’s young and the time behind Alex Smith will serve him well. 

This isn’t a “Haskins is the future” post. I’m very well aware this is most likely his last season here. Rivera moved on very quickly and I’d be willing to bet Carolina had a much lower draft grade on him than we did. I guess the point of this post is when a team drafts a young QB, puts him with a staff that didn’t want him, surrounds him with no talent and puts him through multiple coaching changes and systems in a very short span in a hugely important window for his development this is kinda the result.

If we draft a young QB they have to be patient. They have to be willing to let the guy take his lumps without threatening to bench him. Rivera can’t immediately go to the Kyle Allen well and stunt the next guys development. And for the love of god, put some weapons around the guy. That doesn’t mean wasting first down with a Peyton Barber sledgehammer 1-yard run. Give the kid a fighting chance. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Haskins struggled to start the day. He was inaccurate and his decision making was questionable and a lot of us wanted him benched. He’s not perfect and his game has a long ways to go but I love what I saw from him in the fourth quarter. No quit at all and he showed the arm that a few of us fell in love with at Ohio State. 

Let’s be real here, he’s clearly behind other young QBs in his development. We knew he was a project when he was picked and for all the comparisons to Tua, Herbert, Hurts etc all of those guys have more starting experience and weren’t thrust into a stupid situation where the coach didn’t want him. He’s now been through 4 offenses (Gruden/Callahan/KOC/Turner) in his almost two years and that simply isn’t conducive to developing a young passer. I understand the frustrations fans have with his social media presence and the things he does and says occasionally but he’s young and the time behind Alex Smith will serve him well. 

This isn’t a “Haskins is the future” post. I’m very well aware this is most likely his last season here. Rivera moved on very quickly and I’d be willing to bet Carolina had a much lower draft grade on him than we did. I guess the point of this post is when a team drafts a young QB, puts him with a staff that didn’t want him, surrounds him with no talent and puts him through multiple coaching changes and systems in a very short span in a hugely important window for his development this is kinda the result.

If we draft a young QB they have to be patient. They have to be willing to let the guy take his lumps without threatening to bench him. Rivera can’t immediately go to the Kyle Allen well and stunt the next guys development. And for the love of god, put some weapons around the guy. That doesn’t mean wasting first down with a Peyton Barber sledgehammer 1-yard run. Give the kid a fighting chance. 

Having a Staff for a Young QB is key and why it was a mistake to draft Haskins in a lame duck season for Gruden.With that being said though,I could really see the team going into next year with Alex,Allen and Haskins as the 3 QBs on the roster.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

Having a Staff for a Young QB is key and why it was a mistake to draft Haskins in a lame duck season for Gruden.With that being said though, I could really see the team going into next year with Alex, Allen and Haskins as the 3 QBs on the roster.

I think it’s possible too, but it all depends on what Rivera, Kyle Smith and Scotty Turner think of the QBs who will probably be available for us when we pick. 

It also depends on the BPA I think, if the top 4 QBs are gone and someone like Kyle Pitts, DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle,  Paris Ford, Dylan Moses or Alex Leatherwood are there, I think Rivera takes them over Kyle Trask.

Edited by turtle28

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think it’s possible too, but it all depends on what Rivera, Kyle Smith and Scotty Turner think of the QBs who will probably be available for us when we pick. 

It also depends on the BPA I think, if the top 4 QBs are gone and someone like Kyle Pitts, DeVonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle is there, I think Rivera takes them over Kyle Trask.

He damn sure better!!!

You saw Trask’s pro career last night against Bama. If that isn’t proof enough watch LSU. He’s on a top tier talent team. He gets out gunned against teams that can defend the stars around him and he isn’t gonna win it for you. Florida had nothing for Bama but he has just as much as Wilson if not more. 

Edited by ripsean21

29 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He damn sure better!!!

You saw Trask’s pro career last night against Bama. If that isn’t proof enough watch LSU. He’s on a top tier talent team. He gets out gunned against teams that can defend the stars around him and he isn’t gonna win it for you. Florida had nothing for Bama but he has just as much as Wilson if not more. 

I’d take the best player available, if they think that’s Trask, take him. I have Devonta Smith, Kyle Pitts and Waddle above Trask and maybe Paris Ford too.

I get the QB love bc we need one, but we need to take the one we think can develop into at least a good starter and we shouldn’t take a QB we have questions about if there’s more sure talent on the board still.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I get the QB love bc we need one, but we need to take the one we think can develop into at least a good starter and we shouldn’t take a QB we have questions about if there’s more sure talent on the board still.

This is pretty much it, right here. 

My approach/thought process to the 1st round of the draft goes something like:

1. Do you need a franchise QB? If yes, go to #2. If no, go to #3. 

2. Is there a guy who you love as a potential future franchise QB? If yes, go to #4. If no, go to #3. 

3. Take the best non-QB player available at a position of need. Prosper.

4. Take your franchise QB. Spend the next 3 years building your roster around him and developing him into a star. Prosper.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is pretty much it, right here. 

My approach/thought process to the 1st round of the draft goes something like:

1. Do you need a franchise QB? If yes, go to #2. If no, go to #3. 

2. Is there a guy who you love as a potential future franchise QB? If yes, go to #4. If no, go to #3. 

3. Take the best non-QB player available at a position of need. Prosper.

4. Take your franchise QB. Spend the next 3 years building your roster around him and developing him into a star. Prosper.

celebrity entourage GIF by NBA

And here’s the thing I’ll add about the QBs, and I’ll be saying this until April too. If they fall in love with one of these guys, and he’s still there as it gets to 8-12, then they need to make a serious effort to move up and secure him. 

There’s almost no price too high for a guy you think is a future star QB. But what you can’t do is just take one solely for the purpose of taking one.

Edited by e16bball

I think this was Haskins' last chance to prove himself and well he blew it. He's gotten ample opportunities this year and I think the excuses should finally stop. Has Haskins looked good when the game actually matters and we aren't down by 7+ points? How many times have we heard that Haskins' is surrounded by 'no talent'. Didn't we just beat the 11-0 undefeated Steelers? Do you really think Haskins would be so much better with Austin Hooper and Amari Cooper here? Haskins is EJ Manuel. He's Christian Ponder. This team has been more than patient with him and he's 1-4 in his starts this year.

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 1

I would rather see Haskins than Alex Smith next week even if Smith is healthy.  

The coaches did the opposite of what we all suggested before the game.  They put the game on Haskins.  They had him throw the ball 55 times.  Our running game was horrid.  Outside of Haskins we had 56 rushing yards.  If I told you a couple days ago we would only have 56 rushing yards, you would tell me we would get crushed.  The running game is essential to a young qb.  You know, it took Gibson a good part of the season before he turned into the threat he is and it is a real shame Haskins never really got to play with him when he was hot.

Haskins made some big plays with his arm and his feet. 

The 2nd interception was horrible.  But other than that I didn't see much to not like.  You got to remember, if coach calls a bubble screen, you can't blame haskins for that.  He did check down a bunch, but he slung it too.

As @lavar703 said the no quit attitude he displayed was impressive.  There was some big momentum crushing moments in that game and those interceptions couldn't have helped Haskins, but he just kept at it.  Super impressed.  This kid has made some mistakes no doubt, but you also have to admit he has seen some real adversity and keeps showing up.  I don't know if he could grow into something, but I would be happy to roll with our current qb roster if they are willing to give him more time to develop.  I'll tell you one thing, 2 weeks ago, I think a 7th round pick was as good as we could get for him, but he may have sparked some more interest with that play.

Edited by offbyone
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’d take the best player available, if they think that’s Trask, take him. I have Devonta Smith, Kyle Pitts and Waddle above Trask and maybe Paris Ford too.

Exactly if you don’t see franchise mental skills and work ethic you just keep on drafting the team. I’d rather build a jougernaut and eventually maybe sell the farm for a QB then keep missing on them. That doesn’t mean I don’t take one around 3 5 7 who knows maybe you get lucky. But I don’t take a obviously lesser talent at the most important position staring at a stud at another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Exactly if you don’t see franchise mental skills and work ethic you just keep on drafting the team. I’d rather build a jougernaut and eventually maybe sell the farm for a QB then keep missing on them. That doesn’t mean I don’t take one around 3 5 7 who knows maybe you get lucky. But I don’t take a obviously lesser talent at the most important position staring at a stud at another.

I favor that approach tbh, just stand pat at QB, get a good prospect at another position who will be a starter as a rookie and an upgrade.

I wouldn’t draft a mid or late round QB to develop as a future back up, we have those guys currently. I know all of us don’t like to hear it, but the OC & HC like Kyle Allen, at worst as the back up for this team  and maybe more as he’s going to continue to be given opportunities most of us don’t think he deserves - like replacing Dwayne this year - but they think he deserves it. K. Allen will probably be at the least our back up for the next decade or as long as Rivera is here.

Then, we have Haskins. There’s talent there to still be developed and it seems he was humbled by the benching, took improving as a pro seriously and improved his work eithic over the last two months. I don’t think there’s any chance to trade him for anything worthwhile, so they might as well keep him me continue to develop him as a back up too, so we have young QBs to develop, one with starter talent potential- Haskins - and the other with good back up/spot starter potential Kyle Allen.

Then, we also have Montez as an UDFA/practice squad guy, so why take a late round pick? We have that guy developing on our practice squad now.

All this leads me to taking a position player other than QB, filling a major hole in our team and I know most people don’t want to hear this but most likely Alex Smith is our starter next year w/ Kyle Allen & Haskins backing him up again.

Sign a #2 WR like Juju (even though I hate his ypc the last 2 years), Corey Davis, Allen Robinson or Godwin.

Then, we just take BPA like I’ve been saying whether that’s Devonta Smith, Kyle Smith or Wadle if they fall to us at 19 or, take Paris Ford, Leatherwood or Dylan Moses to get a major upgrade.

Imo, keeping Haskins on this team completely & totally depends how this season finishes.

If he never takes another snap from us the rest of the way? I'm trading or releasing him.

If he plays vs Philly after we've already locked up the Division title & plays very well & possibly even beats Hurts & the Eagles? I would seriously consider bringing him back next season under that affordable rookie contract.

If he fills in for Smith because of injury & channels his inner Doug Williams & goes on a run of wins in the Playoffs & maybe a SB appearance? I'm definitely keeping him or not trading him for less than a 1st Rd pick.

But as of right now?

He's not a good starter for us & I would be targeting Mathew Stafford for this team. We need good QB play, while we have this Defense in tact.