Dwayne Haskins and the Future

lavar703

On 12/20/2020 at 9:55 PM, taylor made said:

I think this was Haskins' last chance to prove himself and well he blew it. He's gotten ample opportunities this year and I think the excuses should finally stop. Has Haskins looked good when the game actually matters and we aren't down by 7+ points? How many times have we heard that Haskins' is surrounded by 'no talent'. Didn't we just beat the 11-0 undefeated Steelers? Do you really think Haskins would be so much better with Austin Hooper and Amari Cooper here? Haskins is EJ Manuel. He's Christian Ponder. This team has been more than patient with him and he's 1-4 in his starts this year.

I can see why people have this opinion, Dwayne hasn’t made the jump we wanted to see as a 2nd year player but, Haskins hadn't played in two months before yesterday’s game, there’s bound to be some rust, there was for Alex vs the Rams.

As I told RIPSean in one post, yesterday Drew Brees started off his game 0-6 or 0-7 - the first time in his career that had happened - Brees hadn't even started a game that bad even when he was a rookie or 2nd year player.

The analyst calling the game just called Brees "rusty" because he hadn't played in a month. Yet, Haskins hasn't played in two months and no one is calling his first half just "rusty," and honestly, he made one bad decision all first half.

I don't blame the first int on him, Isaiah Wright ran to where Cam Sims was on a scramble drill instead of working his way back to Haskins. Then, Wright tipped the pass not intended for him into the air and then it was intercepted. I blame that interception on Wright or just being unfortunate.

The last two sacks, I blame on the OL to close the game, Haskins was undersiege right away, Alex Smith would've been sacked too. The reason you hear that Haskins is surrounded by "not enough talent by me" and others like @lavar703 say “no talent” is because it's true.

Look at who's playing LT & LG two journeymen. Look at who was Haskins's LT & LG to start the season, two very raw young OL who obviously weren't ready for prime time. Look at who his #2 & 3 WRs have been all year, a journeyman and UDFA's. That's not enough talent to work with in the passing game for any QB.

I give Alex props for being able to throw for 300 yards in back to back games with this crew of no name WRs but, he only did that vs the Giants & Lions, he hasn't done it since. Alex/this team didn't start winning until Antonio Gibson broke out against Cincinnati and Dallas and our D started playing like a top 5 D instead of just like a top 15 D as it had when Haskins was the starter in September.

Everyone can do the analysis on if Wright doesn't tip that pass and it's completed to Cam we are at first and goal around the 10 yardline. At worst we get a FG there. Then, Hop doesn't miss the extra point, we don't go for 2 after we score our 2nd TD. That's a 5 point difference, we lost by 5 points. The game would've been tied in the 4th quarter with Haskins putting us in FG range for the win. Instead of having those two drop backs to end the game, we would've run it twice kicked a FG and won the game.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Imo, keeping Haskins on this team completely & totally depends how this season finishes.

If he never takes another snap from us the rest of the way? I'm trading or releasing him.

If he plays vs Philly after we've already locked up the Division title & plays very well & possibly even beats Hurts & the Eagles? I would seriously consider bringing him back next season under that affordable rookie contract.

If he fills in for Smith because of injury & channels his inner Doug Williams & goes on a run of wins in the Playoffs & maybe a SB appearance? I'm definitely keeping him or not trading him for less than a 1st Rd pick.

But as of right now?

He's not a good starter for us & I would be targeting Mathew Stafford for this team. We need good QB play, while we have this Defense in tact.

There's no rule that says Haskins can't be a back up on this team and a guy competing for the job against Alex Smith next year along with Kyle Allen or whoever else we bring in. I don't think Haskins has much trade value. I think he's on the roster at least through training camp and if it looks like he's not going to make the team then, then I'd trade him but I can't imagine that scenario, the guy has too much natural talent to not at least be considered a back up QB on this team or any other team.

Haskins could certainly still turn into the real deal.  But it requires the staff being willing to commit to putting the work into developing Haskins and actually wanting to work with Haskins.  Rivera has sent all the signals that he doesn't want to work with Haskins.  This is the big question.    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

He damn sure better!!!

You saw Trask’s pro career last night against Bama. If that isn’t proof enough watch LSU. He’s on a top tier talent team. He gets out gunned against teams that can defend the stars around him and he isn’t gonna win it for you. Florida had nothing for Bama but he has just as much as Wilson if not more. 

Did you watch the game?

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

You all can google it, I won’t post the link here. There appears to be a photo of Dwayne Haskins out at a “club” after the game. Not exactly following CDC guidelines. 

How do we know that’s a current picture? If so, that’s really disappointing, kind of like the story where he had his friend come to the team hotel the night before our game bc they were probably going to go out after the game.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, Troublez said:

Oh dear god - he can't be that dense can he? If that is him - it just screams "I don't give a effff about the team, could care less if I jeopardize our chances down the stretch"

That being said, it doesn't look like him.

It’s probably not him but agreed, if it is I wouldn’t be surprised if Ron didn’t cut him.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, mar29020 said:

its him

I think it’s him too now that I’ve seen more picks. This is just awful immaturity, can’t defend this idiot! We are in a pandemic. This isn’t the first time Dwayne broke COVID protocols, and his HC just got done w/ Chemo. If this is true & it’s him, he may be cut. The immaturity is shocking w/ this dude. It’s so disappointing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vladimir L said:

Wasnt he partying maskless with strippers after the game...celebrating throwing 2 ints

That’s where these pics are from, but people are saying he’s with his GF - they’ve seen her Instagram before w/ them together- and it’s probably her friends but still he broke COVID protocol and put his HC who just got over Chemo and entire team trying to make the playoffs in jeopardy of getting COVID. He should get cut, and this is coming from someone who was still defending him. I’m so freakin disappointed!