Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

I abstain ATM. But if you held a gun to my head it would be Wilson with reasons below:

Sam is too much of a risk right now. His 5th year option needs to be decided in the spring. We can decline to pick it up and see how he rolls in 2021, but if he is still inconsistent Sam, we would need to make a tough decision for 2022.

Fields has played two good teams and did not look like a number two draft pick. He is even riskier than Sam. We can’t afford to blow that pick.

Wilson has played only two ranked teams this year and was pedestrian in one of them. He has not faced a tough D. He is the biggest unknown of the 3. This is a case of “better the devil you DO NOT know.

At this particular moment in time, I would rather trade down a few spots. 

Non fan observation, no way it should be Sam. You have burnt through his rookie deal, 1-15 in his third year, and he has shown no improvement. It should only be darnold if you guys punt #2 via trade to like miami for their two picks, and just infuse a bunch of talent around him because the QBs are gone. And even then, he's likely a placeholder until next year's pick, or you take someone like trask at the top of round two

Keep Sam, trade the number two to move down a few spots and pick up an extra first or second maybe more depending on a potential bidding war for fields.

Use the picks to build up the team. If Darnold sucks we have plenty of ammo to grab the best qb in the next draft.

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

Under no circumstance should Darnold be on this team next year. It’s time, take Fields or Wilson and don’t look back

I do not completely disagree with you about Sam, but right now I am not comfortable selecting either Fields or Wilson at #2. As I have stated before, we can’t afford to blow this pick.

If we could go back in time and select Josh Allen, we may be talking about playoffs. Picking Sam set us back at least 3-4 years. Do we want to run that risk again?  

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

I do not completely disagree with you about Sam, but right now I am not comfortable selecting either Fields or Wilson at #2. As I have stated before, we can’t afford to blow this pick.

If we could go back in time and select Josh Allen, we may be talking about playoffs. Picking Sam set us back at least 3-4 years. Do we want to run that risk again?  

You have to take that risk at some point. You're not comfortable taking Wilson or fields at 2, I get that, but think back to 2018 and consider how many people were comfortable with Josh Allen as a top three pick. It was not many at all. Josh Allen was very much disliked as a prospect. 

Howell and Slovis look legit for 2022 I think, but there's always the chance you don't pick high enough to grab them

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

You have to take that risk at some point

This true, but certainly not next year. You take chances when the team is in a little better situation. We swung and missed on Sam. Do we want to swing and miss on Fields/Wilson setting us back another 3 years?  Trade down a little, get more high draft picks for 2021 and 2022. Build this team so we are young and only need a QB for 2022. That is when you take the risk.  If Sam plays next year like this year, chances are we will be picking high enough to swing a reasonable deal for a talented 2022 QB.

Another option is to take a QB in round 2 next year. As someone else mentioned, maybe Trask is there or Mac Jones or Brock Purdy. That is a pick that has less risk if the player does not pan out.