Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

Just now, Phinsesq said:

fair point I definitely have not watched him near as much as the Jets fans have, as to locker room culture, I was referring to individuals who are no longer on the team but were definitely "present" during Darnold's tenure and development. I wouldn't have faulted the Jets for drafting Lawrence but I don't think anyone else is necessarily an upgrade (from my admitted outsider's perspective). Get him some proper pass protection maybe he won't hear pass rushers that aren't there. Of course it is possible both parties need to move on. look at Tannehill put talent around him and the guy can play but the relationship had soured in Miami and parties needed to move on.

Maybe the best endorsement I can give is this, I don't want Darnold to end up in New England developing under BB.  

I think if we do make the decision to move on from him. He’s traded to the NFC. Chicago or Washington would be my guesses.

• Like 1

All I know is not Sam - at least not for the long term. He has a hard enough time clearing 250 yards and 60% completion, not to mention his inability to read a defense. I'm OK with hanging onto him as a stop gap if we don't like Fields or Wilson and want to bolster the rest of the squad, but he's not going to be worth holding onto. Maybe with Gase gone, he'll put it together, but I wouldn't bet on it.

1 hour ago, Phinsesq said:

Maybe the best endorsement I can give is this, I don't want Darnold to end up in New England developing under BB.

Nobody wants that.  Like others have stated, if you surround him with talent, maybe, just maybe, he can be an NFL QB.  But there is more in play here.

Suppose we keep him for next year without a fallback option in the form of Fields or Wilson or any rookie QB JD thinks can become good.  If Sam leads us to mediocrity we will have trade to up to get the next great prospect in 2022.  Let's say Sam is OK next year, will the Jets have to tag him or extend him for obscene $ just to find out?

I think it is best for Sam to move on to a team with a QB that will be retiring soon.  He can sit for a year and take over if ready.  The best option may be to keep him while our new rookie QB learns, then trade him in season or just walk away after the 2021 season.  It is the safest bet but his trade value may be at its highest after this season.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ll have to dig into it. I have only watched his highlights so far. Where I do watch quite a bit of OSU and know A LOT more about Fields. I’ll have to dig into Wilson more over time. 

Wilson"s,  family own Jet Blue airlines. Someone started a nasty rumor about Wilson being a spoiled rich brat. The press found nobody who could back this false rumor. This is the same kind of garbage they said about Josh Rosen.  Just like always it was a anonymous sources who started this rumor. With that said there has been some real good QB that came out of BYU Steve Young, Jim McMahon, TY Detmer, and Robbie Bosco who QB BYU only National Title.

5 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

As a division rival, I am hoping you make the mistake of giving up on Darnold. I do not believe the Jets problems are with Darnold, I believe it is first and foremost coaching, coupled by locker room culture and supporting talent. That said a new coach will likely want "his guy"

You don’t know anything about Sam Darnold. It’s never his fault, he’s only 23, etc...is absolute crap. The kid has been dreadful. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

LOL this forum is going to be a freaking MESS when it comes to arguing who should be playing QB for us next year. After the potential of Lawrence for 13 weeks has been taken from us, everyone else including sticking with Sam, is underwhelming. 

If you think this Trever Lawrence thing is going away, forget it . If TL has real success and if the player we pick struggles Lord have mercy on his sole. Look  some people on this board, they are still crying about John Riggens, leaving 44 years ago, and I am one of them

Weird thing I see from talking heads is this binary of either keep Sam and draft and bunch of talent to help him or draft a new QB. As if the Jets have no other picks and won't make any moves in free agency if they choose to move on from Sam. It's easy to get Fields for example and then still draft additional OL and running backs. Unless you're telling me there are 0 other players after the 2nd pick