Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

A good off. coordinator might be able to get more out of the TE position than what Gase did. He ignored the position entirely. I believe the tight end position, perhaps more than any other, is completely reliant on the OC and the way he likes to use them.

I think Herndon and Wesco have untapped upside. I don't mind upgrading, of course, but at the same time you actually have to use the tight ends to get production out of them. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

A good off. coordinator might be able to get more out of the TE position than what Gase did. He ignored the position entirely. I believe the tight end position, perhaps more than any other, is completely reliant on the OC and the way he likes to use them.

I think Herndon and Wesco have untapped upside. I don't mind upgrading, of course, but at the same time you actually have to use the tight ends to get production out of them. 

Nah.   When opportunities were given to Herndon and he screwed them all.

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Man we’ve heard this nonsense before. Good players produce, bad ones don’t. Think about this way, a better coach will be able to get them the ball more or up Sam’s completion percentage but that doesn’t make them a better player. McVay/Goff proved this. Goff looked really good when he would get to the LOS and McVay was able to talk him through things before the mic cut out. In the Super Bowl, Belichick negated that and McVay had to send him out there under 15 seconds so Belichick couldn’t communicate to his defense either. Goff looked terrible and has ever since then. 

We need guys who produce regardless of who’s coaching them because that’s when the plays that win games are made. 

Gase ruined Darnold TBH. I think his chance at success is going to a team with a better coach and system that can build his confidence back. I see Darnold more scared this season even when he has time he acts like he doesn't because of last season getting hit so much.  Hes not confident in the system or the lack of talent at WR.  We never had a run game to take pressure off of him.

The Jets need to get a actual RB next season and learn how to run the ball better. Becton is a generational talent at LT, hes going to open holes.  

Honestly the thing that scares me most about Fields is that OSU has so many busts at QB, and that is unfair to him.  Haskins put up big numbers and looks awful. Difference is Fields is way more athletic, better prospect for sure.  

Zach Wilson looks like Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes to me. Made bad players around him look good. 

Its all about who we hire as HC and what they want to do. I think its best to move on from Sam just because I think his best shot is going elsewhere and starting new. I fear that he was ruined by playing for terrible teams and a terrible coach.  Yes, the Jets are a terrible team. We have nothing that other teams have, this is a 2-14 football team all the way. They need a lot of work. 

On 1/3/2021 at 5:08 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

OMG please stop saying this.

I mean when everyone in the organization, including Gase himself, says that he was brought in to develop Sam and this is the final product, I’d say Gase failed Sam.

Gase isn’t the only part of it, but he sure is a huge factor in it.

Of course, but the amount of help people are suggesting Darnold needed/needs to be successful to me suggests he is a backup quarterback at the highest level.

You don't need a lot of help to make the smart play, the right decisions, and have the right demeanor. All three things that Darnold lacks, imo. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 9:40 AM, Jag68Sid87 said:

Of course, but the amount of help people are suggesting Darnold needed/needs to be successful to me suggests he is a backup quarterback at the highest level.

You don't need a lot of help to make the smart play, the right decisions, and have the right demeanor. All three things that Darnold lacks, imo. 

also we saw another QB come in and perform better so it's not like Sam performed at the absolute ceiling for the offense and the playcalling. I'm struggling to think of any game he put together 4 consecutive quarters of solid play. Gardner Minshew in Jacksonville has shown more than Sam honestly.

7 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Can't believe Sam is leading with 26 votes.

If this poll took place after the season I'm sure Fields would have way more.

To be fair, if the question was presented as “who do you want to be the starting QB in week one” the answers would be different. I have yet to vote until after the OSU game on Monday.

I do not find it impossible that Sam may remain on this team and be the starter in week 1 if we draft a rookie QB.