Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Keep Sam and draft Smith and Harris at 2 and 23. 

We could still draft Smith and Harris at 2 and 23 without Darnold. Sign a free agent, and then draft a QB with the second pick of Round 2. 

There may even be a scenario where we could draft Smith, Harris and Jones from 'Bama, trade Darnold for whatever we can get and sign a FA to play QB for a year or two.

A scenario I could see playout is sticking with Darnold, not signing a big name FA (probably a vet backup) and not draft a QB.

Hear me out. If JD does believe in Darnold and so does a new HC and even OC... than there's no reason to waste a valuable pick on a guy quite yet. What's our backup plan? IDK. But dare I say we trust that Morgan can develop in the next 1-2 years and give him a shot? If he's not there yet in a year or 2 (depending on what we decide with Darnold's 5th year option). Then we can draft a QB, make a trade for a guy, etc.

Maybe finally give Darnold a shot with legit personnel and coaching staff around him. Its an idea I'm for sure warming up to. But I am really only warming up to it if the offense is transformed. I'm talking drafting Smith a 2. Getting a guy like Harris at RB. Maybe go OG or OT at 34. Just load up on young talent. Imagine if it all just worked and how young this offense could be.

Darnold, Harris, Mims, Smith, Becton, Elf, McGovern a rookie OG or OT, maybe Herndon bounces back. There's optimism there.

As much as I would love to have Smith in this scenario, trading down and getting more high draft picks for this year and/or next may be even more transformative. Would having another high 2nd this year and drafting Chase be better than just Smith?

Regardless, It would be a huge gamble to keep Sam and hope. Either way, we most likely will not be picking high enough without trading valuable assets to get a QB next year.  What if Sam is Sam and shows glimpses of greatness followed by head scratching decisions. We will then be in the same boat next year looking at whether to resign Sam or trade up. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

A scenario I could see playout is sticking with Darnold, not signing a big name FA (probably a vet backup) and not draft a QB.

Hear me out. If JD does believe in Darnold and so does a new HC and even OC... than there's no reason to waste a valuable pick on a guy quite yet. What's our backup plan? IDK. But dare I say we trust that Morgan can develop in the next 1-2 years and give him a shot? If he's not there yet in a year or 2 (depending on what we decide with Darnold's 5th year option). Then we can draft a QB, make a trade for a guy, etc.

Maybe finally give Darnold a shot with legit personnel and coaching staff around him. Its an idea I'm for sure warming up to. But I am really only warming up to it if the offense is transformed. I'm talking drafting Smith a 2. Getting a guy like Harris at RB. Maybe go OG or OT at 34. Just load up on young talent. Imagine if it all just worked and how young this offense could be.

Darnold, Harris, Mims, Smith, Becton, Elf, McGovern a rookie OG or OT, maybe Herndon bounces back. There's optimism there.

This is the most optimism I have ever seen from you. 

I'm with it. Even a trade back with Cincy so they can get Sewell makes sense.

Draft Smith, add a couple more picks in the process. 

If Douglas thinks Darnold is the future of this franchise, he is not nearly as smart as we believe him to be.

Do not place all your eggs in the Sam Darnold basket, please! 

If he is still here next season, do not exercise that fifth-year option, draft a QB with one of our first four picks (1st or 2nd round) and acquire a free agent better than Joe Flacco.

Then, if Darnold shows he is better than the other options, we can start thinking about him as the QB of the future. But right now? Nyet.

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This is the most optimism I have ever seen from you. 

I'm with it. Even a trade back with Cincy so they can get Sewell makes sense.

Draft Smith, add a couple more picks in the process. 

It’s me being a realist. And in all honesty might be the safest plan. I see us not trading Sam before FA. See what we can get in FA and the trade market. If we get enough there... then we can decide on if we want to draft a QB at 2. But let’s say we don’t get much on offense. So we have to use our valuable picks on guys. I’d rather see that used on playmakers and OL rather than QB at that stage. And give Sam another year with some weapons. And reevaluate.

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s me being a realist. And in all honesty might be the safest plan. I see us not trading Sam before FA. See what we can get in FA and the trade market. If we get enough there... then we can decide on if we want to draft a QB at 2. But let’s say we don’t get much on offense. So we have to use our valuable picks on guys. I’d rather see that used on playmakers and OL rather than QB at that stage. And give Sam another year with some weapons. And reevaluate.

Its the same route I prefer to take, trade back and build up the team. If Sam sucks we still have 2 firsts next year to move up and grab a QB if need be or we have a complete team and can go after a vet who might hit the market.

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Its the same route I prefer to take, trade back and build up the team. If Sam sucks we still have 2 firsts next year to move up and grab a QB if need be or we have a complete team and can go after a vet who might hit the market.

A lot of very smart football minds really don’t think he’s the issue. So it’s not unrealistic to think we stick with him. 

As much as I'd love to trade back, we don't have a QB, and we have two high level QBs sitting there for the taking.  

Fields and Wilson are worthy of the number 2 pick.  I see no reason to pass on a QB.  They are prospects on the same level as Burrow and Mayfield and easily better than guys like Murray, Darnold, and Allen when they all came out.

They have everything you want in a QB to translate to the NFL.  I'm a Wilson guy personally I just like his accuracy slightly better than Fields and I think he reads the field slightly better.  If we think his body can hold up of the vigors of an NFL season he should be the pick. 

Edited by Rockice_8

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A lot of very smart football minds really don’t think he’s the issue. So it’s not unrealistic to think we stick with him. 

Let them try and fix him then.  Give us your 2 and have fun.  I'm all in on Wilson.  He's the guy for me.  Accuracy is top notch on all levels, big arm, mobile, goes through progressions, intangibles.  Checks all the boxes for me.

Saying to build up the team and we can trade up next year or get a vet but what if the team ahead of us needs a QB themselves?  They aren't just going to gift him to us.  You need a high level QB to go places in this league.  Look at who is left.  Maholmes, Allen, Brady, Rodgers, Brees.  Only outlier is Goff but he's not winning the superbowl.  Very few teams can ride a mediocre QB to a ring with a supporting cast.  

When the QB is there don't over think it just take the guy you want if you think he's the guy and I think Wilson is the guy.

28 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Let them try and fix him then.  Give us your 2 and have fun.  I'm all in on Wilson.  He's the guy for me.  Accuracy is top notch on all levels, big arm, mobile, goes through progressions, intangibles.  Checks all the boxes for me.

Saying to build up the team and we can trade up next year or get a vet but what if the team ahead of us needs a QB themselves?  They aren't just going to gift him to us.  You need a high level QB to go places in this league.  Look at who is left.  Maholmes, Allen, Brady, Rodgers, Brees.  Only outlier is Goff but he's not winning the superbowl.  Very few teams can ride a mediocre QB to a ring with a supporting cast.  

When the QB is there don't over think it just take the guy you want if you think he's the guy and I think Wilson is the guy.

But we literally have to ace FA and our 23rd and 34th pick to give Wilson a chance to succeed. We don’t help him like we haven’t helped countless QBs before... there will be no difference who’s under center