Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

If combine is canceled then it won't be easy to fall in love with a qb without meeting in person.

Tape alone doesn't make qbs worthy of top picks.

Hurts Wilson the most. Bc he plays weak teams. Film is more telling for a guy like Fields who’s actually playing good defenses for a several years almost every week.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Hurts Wilson the most. Bc he plays weak teams. Film is more telling for a guy like Fields who’s actually playing good defenses for a several years almost every week.

He also throws to future 1st round picks behind an incredible offensive line. Wilson throws to future salesman. It is all relative. 

6 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

So is it best for the Jets to settle for the 2nd Best QB in the draft whether it is Fields, Lance, or wilson and put him in there at some point in 2021 season with a team trying to figure out their identity at the same time? Or do you get the HC in here build up the trenches on both sides let Darnold or other vet come play for one year, and then go all in on the qb next year

The answer to that it is a bit more complicated IMO. Let’s assume we keep Sam or acquire a bridge vet. Chances are we will win enough games that trading up to get one of the top QB’s will negate some of the draft capital we have next year which may cause us to settle on the third or fourth best QB prospect. Also, are the QB’s next year going to be any different in terms of quality? If you need a QB and have the second overall pick it may be a good time to get that QB.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I believe a team should be built from the inside out. OL/DL then WR/CB then the other pieces. We have the draft picks for the next two years and cap $ to be able to a lot of what is needed in addition to getting a top QB prospect. It does not necessarily have to be one or the other.

Whatever direction JD goes in, I trust in his judgement.  Since he has stated that he wants his new HC to have a say on the direction of the QB this year, it obviously means they will be acting in concert. I would also expect JD to hire a HC that shares his vision of player development. This means getting the right position coaches in place and having them do their jobs. 

The more I watch Wilson the more I like him. I think Fields/Wilson will be the way we go. I just think with all the changes I’d be shocked if we then didn’t get our new qb. 

Wish we could of out Watson in this poll (for realistic draft capital) and see what those figures would of looked like. 

I love the idea of keeping Sam. LaFleur does great things with the weakest QB's. Just look at the 49ers QB's and how well those low caliber QB played. I still stand that Wilson and Fields are not starting NFL QB guys. Sure they will start games but I think they will struggle and those teams will move on in 2-3 years. You can put these guys with people like Mariota, Winston, D. Jones, Haskins, Rosen, Trubisky, and others. I just don't see it. I really want to believe that they will be good but I see myself forcing myself to like them and buy into them. I wouldl rather build a team up and try Darnold and if this does not work go with a QB in a year or 2. If not Darnold bring in a vet like a Rivers, Wentz or Jimmy G type guy. 

52 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Schefter said Douglas loves Darnold and expects him to be the starter in 2021

Honestly I am not against it. Gase was a hot mess and I would like to see Darnold under a new team before I we completely write him off. We have seen QB make jumps under new coaches, So why not trade back and load up the team? If Darnold thrives than great! If not, whatever. Get the next hot new QB that will come out next year. Then that QB will have a solid team to work with. Win/win.

Also they will still draft a QB... probably in the 3rd round or so. Bring the competition. 

Edited by ACO

That is true. But with all the picks they have if they are not sold on Fields or Wilson.... They can still snag (whoever not grabbed at #2), Lance, Jones, Trask by trading back a little bit and gaining a few premium picks.

But yes I they can very well draft QB at #2, but I think they should stick with Darnold another year.