Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

There absolutely no chance of that happening. That is the most ridiculous post yet. This is what I said the other day we are going to get stupid post like Schefter, for the next four months

Ya just like TLaw wasn’t declaring if we held the 1st pick. 

I think there also could be a scenario where we draft a QB at 2 AND keep Darnold. Not picking up his 5th year. And let the best man start. If the rookie wins. Trade Darnold before trade deadline. If Darnold starts. We get to see how he looks for another year and decide from there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think there also could be a scenario where we draft a QB at 2 AND keep Darnold. Not picking up his 5th year. And let the best man start. If the rookie wins. Trade Darnold before trade deadline. If Darnold starts. We get to see how he looks for another year and decide from there. 

I agree with this if we stay at 2. Draft Wilson keep Darnold and let him start the season. If he sucks then we can bring in the rookie and trade Sam

7 hours ago, bspice said:

I agree with this if we stay at 2. Draft Wilson keep Darnold and let him start the season. If he sucks then we can bring in the rookie and trade Sam

Trade Sam for what? So we get a new HC and new system and expect Sam to come out balling straight away? That’s unlikely. So if he does suck he lowers his trade value even more. 

If we draft a qb at #2 we have to trade Sam. No question about it. We can go out and sign a vet qb to bridge the rookie. Can get decent value now for Sam as a lot of teams think Gase has killed him. If he sucks with another HC then Sam will get the finger pointed at him and any trade value he had will evaporate quickly. 

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Trade Sam for what? So we get a new HC and new system and expect Sam to come out balling straight away? That’s unlikely. So if he does suck he lowers his trade value even more. 

If we draft a qb at #2 we have to trade Sam. No question about it. We can go out and sign a vet qb to bridge the rookie. Can get decent value now for Sam as a lot of teams think Gase has killed him. If he sucks with another HC then Sam will get the finger pointed at him and any trade value he had will evaporate quickly. 

I don’t think drafting a QB at 2 AND keeping Sam is what will happen. But it is possible it happens.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think drafting a QB at 2 AND keeping Sam is what will happen. But it is possible it happens.

It’s possible but wouldn’t make any sense. Zero upside really. Be different if Sam tore it up but we’ve been saying that the last few years. Ship has sailed. Move on now to the next hope! 

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

It’s possible but wouldn’t make any sense. Zero upside really. Be different if Sam tore it up but we’ve been saying that the last few years. Ship has sailed. Move on now to the next hope! 

But isn’t starting a rookie who may not be ready one of the many reasons Sam has failed?  Lawrence is the only day one starter in this draft. If we want to develop a QB, part of that development may be for him to sit and learn until the coaches thinks he is ready.

Coaches want to win. If Sam gives them a better shot, he will start. While it is true that we can pick up a vet to start or resign Flacco, but unless JD is wowed with an offer, Sam may very well be starting for this team next year.

As for potentially hurting Sam’s trade value, I am quite certain the possibility of winning trumps getting a third instead of a second if he still sucks. Of course the converse is true in that if Sam looks better it will improve his trade value. 

9 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Calling it now, they are going to roll with Sam and a vet this year and then look at QB next year 

That’s be idiotic TBH. Odds are we won’t be drafting as high as we are this year in 2022. So do what? Trade a ton of picks to get a guy and set this franchise back again with less draft picks? No thanks.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s be idiotic TBH. Odds are we won’t be drafting as high as we are this year in 2022. So do what? Trade a ton of picks to get a guy and set this franchise back again with less draft picks? No thanks.

Yeah, I gotta agree with Bobby on this. It would be foolish and extremely risky.

For starters, like Bobby states, we could be picking beyond the reach of a small trade up to the point it would be too costly.

Is any of the 2022 prospects like Slovis and Howell any better than Fields or Wilson? Will they even declare?

The Jets may not pick a QB at 2, but they most likely will pick in with our other first or second.

JD’s name is not on Sam’s contract. He is a scout and I am pretty certain he sees the same things we do, but even better. I doubt he will ride with Sam as the only viable QB on this roster. An aging vet maybe? Nope. Dak? $40M worth of nope. 

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

Yeah, I gotta agree with Bobby on this. It would be foolish and extremely risky.

For starters, like Bobby states, we could be picking beyond the reach of a small trade up to the point it would be too costly.

Is any of the 2022 prospects like Slovis and Howell any better than Fields or Wilson? Will they even declare?

The Jets may not pick a QB at 2, but they most likely will pick in with our other first or second.

JD’s name is not on Sam’s contract. He is a scout and I am pretty certain he sees the same things we do, but even better. I doubt he will ride with Sam as the only viable QB on this roster. An aging vet maybe? Nope. Dak? $40M worth of nope. 

Sure they might draft another QB at some point but it won’t be at 2 or one they have any intention of starting in 2021.

8 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Sure they might draft another QB at some point but it won’t be at 2 or one they have any intention of starting in 2021.

I disagree. And that’s ok. I think we are drafting a QB at 2. I think it will be Fields. But there is the possibility of it being Wilson. And we trade Sam to the NFC for best offer.