Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

19 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Sure they might draft another QB at some point but it won’t be at 2 or one they have any intention of starting in 2021.

This I agree with and makes the most sense in my head. Lawrence is the only day one starter. All others should sit even if it is only a part of the season.  I will trust JD as to when he selects a QB but he will pick one. Not the biggest fan of selecting at 2, but we will most likely miss out on both if we drop beyond Carolina at 4.

On 12/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, Dr.O said:

This is a horrible take every player has risks, with that mentality we’ll be waiting 15 years for the next Lawrence. 

The problem is pick #2 doesn't get you Trevor Lawrence, it gets you the consolation prize.  We CAN NOT miss on another draft pick.  That is the reason we have the worst roster in football, we don't draft well.  With the #2 overall pick we need a player that defiantly can make it in the NFL, not take another chance in hopes that we get a good player.  

10 minutes ago, J_E_T_$ said:

The problem is pick #2 doesn't get you Trevor Lawrence, it gets you the consolation prize.  We CAN NOT miss on another draft pick.  That is the reason we have the worst roster in football, we don't draft well.  With the #2 overall pick we need a player that defiantly can make it in the NFL, not take another chance in hopes that we get a good player.  

You do realize taking a player at a different position isn't anything other than "another chance", nor "definitely making it" either...right?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, J_E_T_$ said:

I agree we can’t miss at pick 2 or any pick in the first 2 rounds. Mac is not picking. Idzik is not picking. The man who brought us Becton, Mims and other potential good players is picking.  So far, I trust JD.  While I am leery of a QB not named Lawrence, if JD is willing to tie his career to a QB at 2, I am willing to accept that.

27 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Thing is you can take multiple players at those positions, you only take 1 QB. Missing on a QB is worse than missing on a Safety.

Yeah, I mean I don't think a team should blindly take a QB if they don't think they can be franchise QBs. Both Fields and Wilson are pretty widely regarded as having the tools/traits to be exactly that though. Even going as far to say that if TLaw wasn't here and this was any other year they'd be worthy of 1st overall selections (Tony Pauline, Dane Brugler, etc have went on record saying it).

Let's say you guys end up at 2 or trade back and don't take one of them. If one (or both) at this time next year, or even 2-3 years from now, have the looks of being long term answers/franchise QBs for their teams, how will you feel having passed for an OT/CB etc.? 

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I mean I don't think a team should blindly take a QB if they don't think they can be franchise QBs. Both Fields and Wilson are pretty widely regarded as having the tools/traits to be exactly that though. Even going as far to say that if TLaw wasn't here and this was any other year they'd be worthy of 1st overall selections (Tony Pauline, Dane Brugler, etc have went on record saying it).

Let's say you guys end up at 2 or trade back and don't take one of them. If one (or both) at this time next year, or even 2-3 years from now, have the looks of being long term answers/franchise QBs for their teams, how will you feel? 

Not sure honestly. Like we could have taken Mahomes but he was never on our radar. Watson was a guy some of us wanted but we weren't exactly upset we didn't take him. I think we became to attached to the prospect of Lawrence that it hurts the most simply because of everything we went through this season. 

If Fields turns out to be a Franchise QB I probably wouldn't care too much but Wilson, since I'm really liking what I see, would hurt because if I cant get Lawrence then I want him.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Not sure honestly. Like we could have taken Mahomes but he was never on our radar. Watson was a guy some of us wanted but we weren't exactly upset we didn't take him. I think we became to attached to the prospect of Lawrence that it hurts the most simply because of everything we went through this season. 

If Fields turns out to be a Franchise QB I probably wouldn't care too much but Wilson, since I'm really liking what I see, would hurt because if I cant get Lawrence then I want him.

Yeah, I gotta imagine this has to do with assuming Lawrence was completely locked up for so long that no one compares/they all seem incredibly risky. Guess from my POV though, that's how most all drafts are. As you mentioned with Mahomes/KC, Watson/HOU, or going to guys like Herbert last year, etc. they all have their flaws/risk and you just gotta take a swing. 

Heck, even though Lawrence is considered generational who knows exactly just how good he ends up being? He's the safest one/likely going to be at worst a solid QB, but Wilson/Fields could very well end up being the better QB down the line at the next level.

Seeing what Herbert did at Oregon (was not a fan) and now seeing the throws he's making at LAC isn't even comparable. Josh Allen at Wyoming was meh, but with development/being put in a good situation he's arguably a top 5-8 QB in the league now. QB evaluation I find to be pretty impossible, so take the guys with the tools to make it at the next level and see what happens imo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Let's say you guys end up at 2 or trade back and don't take one of them. If one (or both) at this time next year, or even 2-3 years from now, have the looks of being long term answers/franchise QBs for their teams, how will you feel having passed for an OT/CB etc.? 

You mean like we feel almost year (this years draft excluded)? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J_E_T_$ said:

completely disagree. Jets are in the position that they are in talent wise because they have historically been so risk adverse. Like all those years when they were drafting defensive linemen because they were scared of missing

• Like 1

We drafted Calvin Pryor over Brandin Cooks because he was too small, Darron Lee over Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith because of their injuries but drafted Dee Milliner who sneezed and broke his nose, Quinton Coples over Melvin Ingram because he had short arms, I can probably keep going. 

I dont mind missing when we take a chance(Hackenberg) simply because it will work out or it wont. But when you take the safe player and it still doesn't work it hurts. 

• Like 2