Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

First, Merry Christmas everyone. I hope all is well. 

You can do what ever you want when your GM actually know who the BPA out of your needs actually is. That's all it comes down to. There are no safe picks. I can go through a deep list of names of people who were considered safe who ended up being worse than the player people avoided. I remember getting chewed up by someone on here years ago for mentioning the possibility of Trent Richardson being a bust when I was just using him as an example of how no one is safe. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

For the Wilson lovers. Can you tell me what it is in his game that I should like. And what’s the reason for him being average for 2 whole seasons and then this year him looking good. And why that shouldn’t be worrisome?

Thanks

1. The kid learned how to play the position better. Maybe the coaching staff modified the O to better fit his abilities.

2.  He had a nagging shoulder injury last year and, I believe, some kind of nagging leg injury in 2018.

There may be more, but I for one like that the kid is progressing and has not reached his ceiling. Can you say the same for Fields?  I don’t know but to pop-poo Wilson for growth is really nitpicking. Still not sure I want him at 2, but if I had to pick between the two, Wilson may be my choice. 

24 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Hasn’t Wilson had surgeries on his throwing shoulder already?

He had a surgery to repair a torn labrum from high school which he played through his first year at BYU. I would think his jump in production can be attributed to being able to throw without discomfort or pain. I'm not terribly worried about the surgery, evidently the injury was from contact in high school and hasn't caused any isues since repaired. Brees had a much more severe injury that was repaired and he hasn't had problems from it. 

Everyone on here’s gotta calm down. Ok we probably won’t be able to grab Lawrence but with the mindset some of you have we should just stick with Sam darnold for the next 10 years and be picking in the top 10 for the rest of eternity. Fields is a great prospect and could definitely be an elite quarterback at the next level and is a great consolation prize. With some of your logic we won’t be drafting another qb until arch Manning in 2026 lmao it’s kinda ridiculous.

Edited by Greene N White
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Greene N White said:

Everyone on here’s gotta calm down. Ok we probably won’t be able to grab Lawrence but with the mindset some of you have we should just stick with Sam darnold for the next 10 years and be picking in the top 10 for the rest of eternity. Fields is a great prospect and could definitely be an elite quarterback at the next level and is a great consolation prize. With some of your logic we won’t be drafting another qb until arch Manning in 2026 lmao it’s kinda ridiculous.

Thank you lol 

4 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

He had a surgery to repair a torn labrum from high school which he played through his first year at BYU. I would think his jump in production can be attributed to being able to throw without discomfort or pain. I'm not terribly worried about the surgery, evidently the injury was from contact in high school and hasn't caused any isues since repaired. Brees had a much more severe injury that was repaired and he hasn't had problems from it. 

I thought he got another surgery while he was at BYU??

nevermind read that wrong. Hopefully that’s the case but I don’t feel like he’s a pick Douglas would make 

Edited by GangGreen420

Like I’ve been saying - these are the scenarios if you stick with sam.

1. He does OK in 2021.  Guides the team to a 6-10, 7-9 record and the Jets pick in the middle of the pack, most likely not a highly rated QB like Sam Howell.

2. He does AWESOME and now you’re going to have to pay him.  Are you guys comfortable giving Sam a long term, 25M+ a year contract? I know I am not.

1 minute ago, Heymangold said:

Like I’ve been saying - these are the scenarios if you stick with sam.

1. He does OK in 2021.  Guides the team to a 6-10, 7-9 record and the Jets pick in the middle of the pack, most likely not a highly rated QB like Sam Howell.

2. He does AWESOME and now you’re going to have to pay him.  Are you guys comfortable giving Sam a long term, 25M+ a year contract? I know I am not.

Rams, Vikings, Bengals w/ Dalton, Jags w/ Bortles are examples of teams where they should have had more playoff success but never had the QB to take them over the hump.  Guys like Goff, Cousins and Dalton need a good team around them.  You can even throw in a guy like Stafford, could never boost the Lions offense enough to make a difference.

We don't want to be stuck paying mediocre guys.

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For the Wilson lovers. Can you tell me what it is in his game that I should like. And what’s the reason for him being average for 2 whole seasons and then this year him looking good. And why that shouldn’t be worrisome?

Thanks

Accuracy, great arm strength, can throw on the run and off platform with velocity and accuracy. Quick release, can utilize different angles(key against defenses with tight man coverage or smothering zones. 

Shows a good mental make up as well. 

The question is how great can he be, that’s something we won’t know until he hits the league. 

We can use Burrow as an example for a kid taking a jump in a year and excelling at the next level. 

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Accuracy, great arm strength, can throw on the run and off platform with velocity and accuracy. Quick release, can utilize different angles(key against defenses with tight man coverage or smothering zones. 

The question is how great can he be, that’s something we won’t know until he hits the league. 

We can use Burrow as an example for a kid taking a jump in a year and excelling at the next level. 

I was unaware of his shoulder surgery, did that affect him?

22 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I was unaware of his shoulder surgery, did that affect him?

2019 season it may.   He had surgery in January and played games during the recovery. He missed 4 games in the middle of season and finished the season poorly. However, he still made a bunch of throws.   In 2020, he was completely different and played like he had zero concern with any physical ailment.   Despite missing 4 games last season, he is still qualified for 3 year starter.  No, he is not in the same category as Joe Burrows.  

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I hope this isn’t a dumb question. And I’m sorry if me not being educated on this offends anyone...

But him being Mormon... does he have to leave for a year to do his mission (whatever is they do for a year.) I’ve had Mormon friends and they all had to do it around that age. Is he an exception given his situation? For example when we had another failed draft pick in Trevor Reilly (I think that was his name) who was Mormon. When we drafted him, he was like 23 already Bc of his mission.