Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

Just now, JetsandI said:

Possibly as we still have James Morgan.

Taking a QB later or drafting one early is all possible. Giving Sam's contract situation, how bad he looked, and the ratings of this current QB draft class, I have a hard time seeing him pass up on a QB early. Even if he trades back a few picks, I still think he will go QB. I don't see us drafting Sewell and trying to force our rookie LT who was leading the LT's in pro-bowl votes to move to RT. I'm a huge fan of Micah Parsons, but that's not happening unless we have a insane Free Agency. We're likely going to use our cap space to get the best WR we can. As much as everyone loves Lawrence, there are 5 other QBs in this class who are rated higher PFF wise him. I have my doubts that all of them are not franchise QBs. So I'm banking on us getting a QB early. 

10 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Taking a QB later or drafting one early is all possible. Giving Sam's contract situation, how bad he looked, and the ratings of this current QB draft class, I have a hard time seeing him pass up on a QB early. Even if he trades back a few picks, I still think he will go QB. I don't see us drafting Sewell and trying to force our rookie LT who was leading the LT's in pro-bowl votes to move to RT. I'm a huge fan of Micah Parsons, but that's not happening unless we have a insane Free Agency. We're likely going to use our cap space to get the best WR we can. As much as everyone loves Lawrence, there are 5 other QBs in this class who are rated higher PFF wise him. I have my doubts that all of them are not franchise QBs. So I'm banking on us getting a QB early. 

Problem is that Jets need a qb that can put up enough TDs right away (2021). Rookie qb may or may not provide that.  FA class may or may not provide that, too.  Jets are really in a pickle. Because of that, I can see Jets compel to draft one in 1st. I don't like that and I hope JD got strong influence from AFC North(except Browns) to sit on drafting qb impatiently.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

• "Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."

That is a very interesting take honestly, the Johnny Manziel comp is a good one to him physically and with how they play.  But Johnny relied a lot more on his legs than Wilson does which is good for Wilson.  But Johnny was much more a head case than Zach Wilson who has not got into trouble nearly as often or been as controversial as Johnny was.   Both rely greatly on scrambling and making big plays down field with a strong throwing arm and get good velocity on their passes.  Johnny never was able to succeed obviously in the NFL for a variety of reasons, not having a good OL or a good run game could greatly change how Zach Wilson looks at the next level, his OL was absolutely superior to any DL he played all season outside of one arguably.  And even in that Coastal game the RB still had 8 yards a carry and well over 100 yards on the ground.

Rich kid is never a good thing, but I do not know him obviously.  He does not come off as very aloof as Josh Rosen was.  Rosen came off way more pompous and was not near the teammate, Zach Wilson interacts with his teammates and seems to be one of the guys and with his showcases of toughness running and being aggressive I think his teammates like him.  Granted he did not look anything like this last year when he actually played good teams, something he has not really done all season this year.  So it could be fools gold but hard to knock his arm talent and off platform throwing ability.

Interesting take that is for sure.  I do not know his parents but that means a ton, if the parents are a pain guess what he will be.  The talk of Wilson being the #2 QB in the draft is absolutely real though no doubt about it, which means he could go #2 overall.  

Copy and paste from the qb thread.   Interesting.

14 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Problem is that Jets need a qb that can put up enough TDs right away (2021). Rookie qb may or may not provide that.  FA class may or may not provide that, too.  Jets are really in a pickle. Because of that, I can see Jets compel to draft one in 1st. I don't like that and I hope JD got strong influence from AFC North(except Browns) to sit on drafting qb impatiently.

How could anyone expect a rookie QB including Lawrence to come in a play at a high level?  This isn’t necessarily about making the playoffs next year, it is about having the pieces in place for a run in 2022. And to have a FB team that will have sustainable success.

If the new QB comes in a lights it up that would be a bonus, but it should not be expected.

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

How could anyone expect a rookie QB including Lawrence to come in a play at a high level?  This isn’t necessarily about making the playoffs next year, it is about having the pieces in place for a run in 2022. And to have a FB team that will have sustainable success.

If the new QB comes in a lights it up that would be a bonus, but it should not be expected.

Enough TDs = 20.    It won't be hard for T Law, really.  As for other qbs, their surprising accomplishment as a rookie would be indeed a bonus.

In another word, T Law is only qb I would start on week 1.

29 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I doubt that's true. We're not tied to a bunch of vet contracts and running out of time. We're back to phase 1 with this roster. So we have plenty of time to develop a QB. We have a 21 year old Franchise LT and a WR we know that can at least be a #2 for us long term. 

10 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Copy and paste from the qb thread.   Interesting.

So what comparing Sam Darnold to Zach Wilson?  Well Sam Darnold is a better prospect coming out of USC, not sure anyone would say anything different.  He played better football against better competition and competed at a higher level for a longer time than Zach Wilson.

No one thought Zach Wilson was this good before this season started, Sam Darnold was awesome as a RS FR and then RS SOPH QB.  His final year he played teams like Ohio State, Notre Dame, Utah, Texas and Stanford etc.  Zach Wilson's best team he beat his last year at BYU was Coastal Carolina, oh wait they did not beat them so then what UCF in a down year?  That is the one big concern with him, who he played against this year.  And there would not even be a question, but Justin Fields has looked so so the past few weeks and hard to not be impressed with Zach and what he has done.

Still if the choice is between Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson that is up in the air.  The choice between Sam Darnold and Trevor Lawrence is not even a choice.  Lawrence is greatly better than any other QB in his draft, but Jets are winning so who knows they might be stuck with #2.  Not a huge deal but honestly there is a big drop from Trevor Lawrence and everyone else.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

So what comparing Sam Darnold to Zach Wilson?  Well Sam Darnold is a better prospect coming out of USC, not sure anyone would say anything different.  He played better football against better competition and competed at a higher level for a longer time than Zach Wilson.

No one thought Zach Wilson was this good before this season started, Sam Darnold was awesome as a RS FR and then RS SOPH QB.  His final year he played teams like Ohio State, Notre Dame, Utah, Texas and Stanford etc.  Zach Wilson's best team he beat his last year at BYU was Coastal Carolina, oh wait they did not beat them so then what UCF in a down year?  That is the one big concern with him, who he played against this year.  And there would not even be a question, but Justin Fields has looked so so the past few weeks and hard to not be impressed with Zach and what he has done.

Still if the choice is between Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson that is up in the air.  The choice between Sam Darnold and Trevor Lawrence is not even a choice.  Lawrence is greatly better than any other QB in his draft, but Jets are winning so who knows they might be stuck with #2.  Not a huge deal but honestly there is a big drop from Trevor Lawrence and everyone else.  

Yeah... That is why we are unhappy about that part.  T Law doesn't require to dig deeper than game film to know he will be a franchise qb in NFL.  The rest of other qbs do and we the fans aren't in contact with those prospects to get good feel about their potential for Jets.   That post about Wilson deserves "holy cow" response.   Easy to call Fields a number two qb because he is battle tested in high level of contest.

11 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Yeah... That is why we are unhappy about that part.  T Law doesn't require to dig deeper than game film to know he will be a franchise qb in NFL.  The rest of other qbs do and we the fans aren't in contact with those prospects to get good feel about their potential for Jets.   That post about Wilson deserves "holy cow" response.   Easy to call Fields a number two qb because he is battle tested in high level of contest.

Sure Fields is battle tested but he really locks onto receivers a lot, does not have a great feel in the pocket and plays with a crazy amount of talent on Ohio State.  Prime example would be against Northwestern in the Big Ten title game, he did not play great in that game and that was without his big time receiver Olave who was out that game.  Only had one real WR option and it was a struggle against a NFL level defense that is very well coached that has many pro prospects on it.  Took a 300+ yard rusher for Ohio State to win that game, it was not Fields doing it.

Will be very interesting how Fields does against Clemson, that will be very telling for sure.  In terms of field vision, off platform throws and overall arm talent Wilson I feel is a better QB and I have not a huge Wilson fan but hard to be a fan of Fields with how he has struggled at times this year.  The Indiana game is another example of that with the multiple INTs against a high level defense that has multiple pro prospects on it.  

• Like 1

Level of competition doesn’t really matter. Wentz played against God knows who and was going to win MVP before getting hurt. Every SEC player plays against great players but they rarely become good NFL players. Look at the top QBs in the league and their competition and growth. 

Wilson might need some time, sign a vet like Tyrod, develop a run game to help him and a defense to keep games close then bring him in and let him provide that spark. 

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Level of competition doesn’t really matter. Wentz played against God knows who and was going to win MVP before getting hurt. Every SEC player plays against great players but they rarely become good NFL players. Look at the top QBs in the league and their competition and growth. 

Wilson might need some time, sign a vet like Tyrod, develop a run game to help him and a defense to keep games close then bring him in and let him provide that spark. 

Level of completion matters to me.