Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

3 hours ago, Malik said:

Weird thing I see from talking heads is this binary of either keep Sam and draft and bunch of talent to help him or draft a new QB. As if the Jets have no other picks and won't make any moves in free agency if they choose to move on from Sam. It's easy to get Fields for example and then still draft additional OL and running backs. Unless you're telling me there are 0 other players after the 2nd pick

Yes. To a degree. The #2 pick is MIGHTY powerful. If JD feels that fields/Wilson arent major upgrades over Darnold (who is still only 23), then you cant compare the addition of a Sewell and a WR or being able to trade down and grab more picks for more weapons and depth. 

JD has shown to be adept at moving around the board. And has hit on a few picks and missed on some so far. The more picks he has is the stronger we become talent wise. Which ultimately has been this teams problems for years now. 

4 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

Yes. To a degree. The #2 pick is MIGHTY powerful. If JD feels that fields/Wilson arent major upgrades over Darnold (who is still only 23), then you cant compare the addition of a Sewell and a WR or being able to trade down and grab more picks for more weapons and depth. 

JD has shown to be adept at moving around the board. And has hit on a few picks and missed on some so far. The more picks he has is the stronger we become talent wise. Which ultimately has been this teams problems for years now. 

It's about the right picks not a lot of picks. If you need 50 picks in order to draft 2 good players then you aren't very good at your job. I have no idea why people keep saying he's 23 like that's relevant. You're not guaranteed an upward trajectory just because you're young. Him simply being drafted into the NFL could be his peak.

Everybody is leaving out Kyle Trash, out of the QB quest. He is another huge QB 6'5' 240# with a great arm, I will guarantee you if he is still on the board when the NE Pats,  pick with the fifteen overall pick in the draft Bill Belichick  will draft him .  Kyle Trash will play in the Cotton bowl without all his WR's they all optout plus All American TE Pitts. One of the top CB in country Marco Wilson also opt out of the game These players all got a free scholarship to the university of Florida and they pull this crap, These bums all sign up for the 2021 draft. It would not  surprise me at all if Trash will be on the finalist list for the Heisman

Edited by doumeyer

The more I think about it, the Jets need to draft a QB if they stay at #2. Whoever’s the next head coach and JD must have the mindset that they’re never going to be picking this high again during their regime.
I was onboard with trying to turn Darnold around and trade back but I’m leaning towards moving on. A lots going to happen between now and draft day. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

The more I think about it, the Jets need to draft a QB if they stay at #2. Whoever’s the next head coach and JD must have the mindset that they’re never going to be picking this high again during their regime.
I was onboard with trying to turn Darnold around and trade back but I’m leaning towards moving on. A lots going to happen between now and draft day. 

They have to actually like the QBs at 2 though. I can’t see Douglas taking Wilson there with only one good year under his belt, if Fields shows out in the playoffs maybe there’s a chance he takes him. He has to view one of these guys as a legit franchise changing guy

Taking a QB and thrusting him into the lineup immediately with this roster (yes I know we have draft picks and cap space) won’t work out well IMO. We could sign a vet, but any rookie QB taken at 2 won’t be on the bench long.

Not drafting a QB doesn’t automatically mean rolling with Darnold. We absolutely need to bring in a vet/someone that can legitimately take his job 

21 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Everybody is leaving out Kyle Trash, out of the QB quest. He is another huge QB 6'5' 240# with a great arm, I will guarantee you if he is still on the board when the NE Pats,  pick with the fifteen overall pick in the draft Bill Belichick  will draft him .  Kyle Trash will play in the Cotton bowl without all his WR's they all optout plus All American TE Pitts. One of the top CB in country Marco Wilson also opt out of the game These players all got a free scholarship to the university of Florida and they pull this crap, These bums all sign up for the 2021 draft. It would not  surprise me at all if Trash will be on the finalist list for the Heisman

Could not care for Trask.

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

They have to actually like the QBs at 2 though. I can’t see Douglas taking Wilson there with only one good year under his belt, if Fields shows out in the playoffs maybe there’s a chance he takes him. He has to view one of these guys as a legit franchise changing guy

Taking a QB and thrusting him into the lineup immediately with this roster (yes I know we have draft picks and cap space) won’t work out well IMO. We could sign a vet, but any rookie QB taken at 2 won’t be on the bench long.

Not drafting a QB doesn’t automatically mean rolling with Darnold. We absolutely need to bring in a vet/someone that can legitimately take his job 

About Darnold, it is entirely up to new head coach.  We can do nothing about it.   New head coach typically wants a qb to stay with him for first 3 full seasons so spending #2 on qb may be necessary. 

9 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I agree with a lot of what your saying. There’s a lot of dominoes that have to fall between now and the draft ( new coaching staff and FA). I’m just saying that there’s no Chase Young, Bosa bros or slam dunk defensive stud worth the #2 pick. If they stay at two it’s going to be because they like one of the QBs. I can’t see us drafting another tackle at two. I think that’s a Macc move, just taking the highest rated player by default. That got us nowhere. The Jets may just need to swing for the fences for once. What’s the worst that can happen. We set the team back even more. We’re at rock bottom.

24 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

That is what makes this draft spot so complex.  Yes, we hopefully will not be picking at 2 again for a long time, but QB's can be had beyond the top 5-10 picks.  The issue is trusting JD and the scouting department to evaluate them.  We have not had much luck in rookie talent acquisition over the years perhaps decades it seems.  I keep saying I trust JD, but it really is a blind trust after only one draft.

Picking a QB at 2 is safest.  Trading down may hasten the rebuild. Picking other than QB at 2 may yield a stud.  So many ways to go and whom to go with.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:42 PM, xrade said:

I do not completely disagree with you about Sam, but right now I am not comfortable selecting either Fields or Wilson at #2. As I have stated before, we can’t afford to blow this pick.

If we could go back in time and select Josh Allen, we may be talking about playoffs. Picking Sam set us back at least 3-4 years. Do we want to run that risk again?  

If we drafted Josh Allen we probably would have ruined his development as well. We didn't build with the right players around Sam. All the years of having Sam and we have only made marginal improvements around him. 

If you are at 2, the safest bet is honestly to take Sewell. Build an ELITE o-line around Sam or whoever is going to be playing QB with him and Becton. This helps your run and pass game out which frankly both need a lot of help this offseason. I am not a fan of Fields, I do not want an Ohio State QB on this roster and it would be a same old Jets move to take Fields IMO. Wilson is intriguing but he has his question marks in terms of durability and level of competition. I am not ruling him out but I need to watch more of him. I would love to get Ja'Marr Chase here and spoil our QBOTF with an elite talent at WR for once but I do not see Douglas operating with that line of thinking, he's an o-line guy through and through and a guy like Sewell to pair with Becton might just be what brings this offense some stability.

You also have the Seahawks 1st rounder too. If you're hellbent on taking a QB, I would almost rather wait and see if we can get Mac Jones or Kyle Trask later. I like both of those guys better than Fields and as of now they are both projected to go later. You HAVE to play this smart if you're Joe Douglas. Cannot waste this excellent draft capital.

• Like 1

If Jets drafted Josh Allen in this upcoming draft, he would be all right.  That is different.

Whoever Jets draft will be THE center of a focus for JD.  That mean what happened with "extra help" for Darnold last offseason won't happen again. 

Jets have 3 picks in first 34 so shall JD approach it like Broncos did with Drew Lock or go to get one and be done with it? 

BPA at #2 and gaming qb value at late #20's or early #30 is a possibility but it is risky to game qb value if you covet a said qb that much in 1st.

Edited by JetsandI