Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

Can someone tell me.. Who was the last quality Quarterback to come out of Ohio state???? I am talking in the last 20 years???

Ohio State is a system that protects QB and utilizes high skilled position players. How much of Justin fields good play came from his receivers, tight end, runningback and offensive line?

3 minutes ago, kilahchris said:

Can someone tell me.. Who was the last quality Quarterback to come out of Ohio state???? I am talking in the last 20 years???

Ohio State is a system that protects QB and utilizes high skilled position players. How much of Justin fields good play came from his receivers, tight end, runningback and offensive line?

It’s hard to find a QB factory. Among starters this season Louisville had 2(Jackson and Bridgewater), Oklahoma had 2/3(Murray/Mayfield/Hurts) and Cal had 2(Rodgers/Goff). 

10 minutes ago, kilahchris said:

Oh c'mon - and how many Ohio QBs have had a first round grade going into the draft in that time? Dwayne Haskins - that's it. And he didn't have near the hype Fields has despite a great stat line is sophomore year.

The Ohio State system isn't a static system. They've had 5-6 coaches in those 20 years. They've even had a coaching change between Haskin and Fields. You can't measure Fields by the school's football history.

2 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Oh c'mon - and how many Ohio QBs have had a first round grade going into the draft in that time? Dwayne Haskins - that's it. And he didn't have near the hype Fields has despite a great stat line is sophomore year.

The Ohio State system isn't a static system. They've had 5-6 coaches in those 20 years. They've even had a coaching change between Haskin and Fields. You can't measure Fields by the school's football history.

The hope is that Fields is more Tua than McCarron.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

That is my point.... why has virtually no Ohio State QB had a first round grade other than Haskins? Ohio State is a major college program. Ranks up with Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, when it comes onto recruiting.

But more importantly why did Fields have such a bad game against Northwestern!? in the big ten championship. I am sorry but fields is a huge mistake with the 2nd overall pick.

26 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I never liked going by school history when judging a QB. Imagine missing out on Herbert because you thought Harrington and Mariota. It's all a risk, but some QBs are more mentally prepared to adapt than others. 

I remember not wanting Miami to draft Aaron Rodgers at 2 in 2005 because he was a Jeff Tedford QB, whose QBs had not had a lot of success in the NFL. Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith Joey Harrington. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

I remember not wanting Miami to draft Aaron Rodgers at 2 in 2005 because he was a Jeff Tedford QB, whose QBs had not had a lot of success in the NFL. Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith Joey Harrington. 

Dilfer was a decent quarterback... Plus my point is a major program like Ohio State has failed to develop at least one decent NFL Quarterback in in 20 years. To me that says alot....

41 minutes ago, kilahchris said:

Dilfer was a decent quarterback... Plus my point is a major program like Ohio State has failed to develop at least one decent NFL Quarterback in in 20 years. To me that says alot....

Until an Aaron Rodgers pops up. Texas Tech wasn't known for producing any QB's now Patrick Mahomes is lighting up the NFL. I am not saying Fields is the guy to break the cycle with Ohio State but that isn't because he is, or isn't from Ohio State. I will agree that some programs (coaches/systems) are better at prepping a QB for a pro offense but that doesn't assure success either. 

In the end it is x's and o's, talent and maturity etc etc. I haven't seen anything to make me think Fields is more Mahomes than Haskins 1  season just isn't enough for me but luckily my livelihood does not depend on me making the correct call. I wish the young man success and hope he succeeds I just think it is a real roll of the dice (at this point) but based on sample size not geography. 

and Dilfer was average at best

Edited by Phinsesq
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, kilahchris said:

Because they haven't been trying to - they were getting by just fine without a stud QB, churning out top tier receivers and running backs. Now they have a stud QB.

And while Haskins did have a first round grade, it was more because he was in a really weak QB class with a bunch of QB needy teams. Let's not act like analysts were fawning over Haskins like they have Fields.