Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

21 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Darnold ran a version of this offense his rookie year, it also had us thinking Herndon was going to be TE1 of the future. I will give him another chance. 

Herndon did look talented his rookie year. Let’s hope for a resurgence as he kind of went MIA under Gase.

Seems like only slot WR have success under Gase.

Edited by SDotNova

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yup because case scenario who proves he's worth it, worst case we move on and have a team that's good/better and can bring in a veteran QB or draft one. Trading back from 2 adds more draft capital depending on the picks we receive. 

We have a chance to add a ton of capital both this year and next year.  Many successful HCs have brought in their QBs after year 1.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

We have a chance to add a ton of capital both this year and next year.  Many successful HCs have brought in their QBs after year 1.

The best situation once I take a step back and think about it is to keep Darnold and give him a better offense. Load up in FA and early in the draft on things to help him. Trade back that 2nd pick but still stay high in the draft. Acquiring an additional 2nd and 3rd. And go hard after offense. Now with that we can see what he can do in a better system and talent around him. If he succeeds obviously that’s incredible. If he doesn’t... we likely are drafting somewhat high again and have an additional 1st next year to try and move up and get a QB in 2022.

As much as I understand the desire to add to the overall talent level of the team/offense with the #2 pick (via trade downs or taking a non-QB there), my problem is that Darnold just hasn't been good for more than a few games here and there. A significant improvement would still only get him up to mediocre starting QB level... and do we really want to give him the fifth year option ($25 million if I read correctly) in that case? And if not, we're looking to pick up another QB. We need him to make a pretty huge jump at this point.

I really only see rolling with Darnold as a decent option if the coaching staff doesn't like Fields/Wilson enough to spend a top 5 pick on them. As it stands, we've had a garbage enough season to be in a good position to draft a QB. If we go 5-11 next season we might not be in line for much of anything at QB. And having to use our other first and trade up kind of sucks. Getting two first round talents is a big deal for a team with this talent level.

Edited by TheChad

31 minutes ago, TheChad said:

As much as I understand the desire to add to the overall talent level of the team/offense with the #2 pick (via trade downs or taking a non-QB there), my problem is that Darnold just hasn't been good for more than a few games here and there. A significant improvement would still only get him up to mediocre starting QB level... and do we really want to give him the fifth year option ($25 million if I read correctly) in that case? And if not, we're looking to pick up another QB. We need him to make a pretty huge jump at this point.

I really only see rolling with Darnold as a decent option if the coaching staff doesn't like Fields/Wilson enough to spend a top 5 pick on them. As it stands, we've had a garbage enough season to be in a good position to draft a QB. If we go 5-11 next season we might not be in line for much of anything at QB. And having to use our other first and trade up kind of sucks. Getting two first round talents is a big deal for a team with this talent level.

I’m good either way on it. So I’m not a huge advocate of keeping Sam. But I disagree with this.

Look at once he came back healthy last year how he played. That was with an awful OL and not the best weapons either. All while having a awful coaches system in place. His rookie year he finished the season very strong as well. Didn’t amount to wins... but he was playing better and that’s what led to optimism for him in 2019. This year I think the lack of weapons and the overall garbage of a system ran on offense caught up with him. Darnold has talent. He just needs help around him and the right system to make it click. Maybe LaFleur is that for him. Maybe he’s not. I don’t know. But being he’s already in the roster, 23 years old and has had flashes... don’t be surprised if we still roll with him and help him out more 

• Like 1

I would like to see one of two paths taken with QB this off season 

1. Take Fields / Wilson at 2. I will not belabor if Sam salvageable or not. If we give him a better supporting cast and he fails, it will cost us more next year. It would be one thing if there was a Lawrence coming out but, most likely, it will be another Fields / Wilson at the top of the QB list. Do we spend a #2 this year or spend a top #15 (just an assumption) plus our Seattle FRP plus more next year?  Do we go with the third or fourth best option next year and hope he works out?  It all comes down to what the chances are of Sam showing enough progress with a better O. I, for one, do not think it is more than 50%, so we should just draft Fields or Wilson.

2.  Keep Sam, trade down a little, draft another QB at #34. Regardless of the QB, we are probably not going to playoffs in 2021. Letting Sam play and letting the QB prospect sit a year could be an option. If Sam has success extend him. If not, we at least have  an acceptable prospect for 2022. More than likely the prospect will get into some games later in the season so we can see if he is an upgrade or not. If not, it cost us a #34 pick. If both Sam and the prospect suck, we will most likely be picking high enough to grab a Fields / Wilson in 2022 or be close enough to lessen the cost to trade up.  The downside is similar to option 1. Sitting around #15 in 2022 and either getting the third or fourth best QB option or spending a ton of picks to move up PLUS the cost of the #34 pick in 2021.

It all comes down to how comfortable you are with the chances Sam shows enough to justify a $25M extension or tag. How comfortable you are with the chances of Mac, Lance, Trask etc.  How comfortable you are with our assumed draft position in 2022 and the QB prospects next year.

Edited by xrade
  • Like 1

I’m in the keep Darnold band wagon and trust me I think he’s stupid and plays with no energy but a new coaching staff and offense that better suits his skill set could bring out a good QB in him. I’m not expecting him to ever be a star, he won’t be he just doesn’t have that kind of talent or ability to process quick enough but he’s got enough to be above average or even a good game manager. Trade down and build the best team you can in the next two offseasons and drafts. This year we should see a spike in young talent on this roster. 

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

plays with no energy

I would have to disagree with this statement. He plays with a lot of energy. He certainly is not emotional or rah-rah on the sideline, but on the field he is giving it his all. His all just ain’t good enough. 

I guess I should have been more specific about what I mean by veteran starting QB. For me, it would be a proven guy. Kinda like what Joe Flacco is but not him. Someone who can take the starting job for now but not necessarily keep it when our future QB is ready to take over. I like Alex Smith. I like Drew Brees. I am not a fan of Philip Rivers but he would be on the list. I like Cam Newton. I don't know what Saleh's relationship is with Jimmy Garoppolo but I would be willing to bring him in on a short term deal. I don't think Winston works for this offense. Mariota would be a maybe, but I'm thinking someone older and far more proven. A real leader is what we need.

Then, we can move on from Darnold and draft a guy either with Seattle's pick or at the start of Round 2. Take the pressure off the young QB to NOT be the man right away. Build the team and then insert him when he is ready.

That would be the way to go for me.

The only way I would be down with keeping Darnold is if we go the Trubisky route with him...decline the fifth-year option, bring in a veteran (and draft a guy too) to compete for the job and do not hand him anything. He has to earn everything from now on.

6 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Then, we can move on from Darnold and draft a guy either with Seattle's pick or at the start of Round 2. Take the pressure off the young QB to NOT be the man right away. Build the team and then insert him when he is ready

If we are going that route we might as well keep and start Sam. Let’s see if he can succeed at all. I guess it depends on what we think we can get for him by trading him this off season. I do not think we are getting more than a day three pick. 

I'm all in for keeping Darnold and drafting someone behind that can eventually start. We're not getting a good pick for Sam after how much he struggled. If this new system makes him look better or improves him, his trade value goes up and we trade him before the deadline. All of these QBs have potential to be great, but none of them are clear day 1 starters. So this will give them a little time. 

I'm worried about signing another struggling vet to go with Sam will basically put Saleh in the same position Bowles was in when he was asked to win with Fitz, McCown, Hackenberg, and Petty until we finally got in draft position to draft Sam. If Sam comes back and looks average or just pretty good, we will be forced to decide if we're going to give him a huge contract based on that season. 

I'm trusting JD & Saleh on this one, but I'm all in for drafting a QB in the first. 

Edited by rickyt31