Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

So #2 is effectively worth 3 firsts and a second like you said. So you throw in #23 and both next years 1sts and it’s actually like giving up SIX first round picks and a second rounder. You have literally proven my point. 

All I wanted to know is do you give up 3 first rd picks for Watson or do you prefer to trade back collect picks and keep darnold? I just wanted to know in that situation what you would prefer to do. Saying what #2 may or may not be worth and then throwing in whether or not Watson would throw out his no trade clause, and whether multiple other teams are involved or not. If this was the option to give up 3 1st rd picks 1 in the next 3 years or 2 this year 1 next year or 1 this year and 2 next year, doesnt really matter to me. I just was wanting to know which move would you guys prefer to see move back with Darnold or trade the picks for Watson.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

All I wanted to know is do you give up 3 first rd picks for Watson or do you prefer to trade back collect picks and keep darnold? I just wanted to know in that situation what you would prefer to do. Saying what #2 may or may not be worth and then throwing in whether or not Watson would throw out his no trade clause, and whether multiple other teams are involved or not. If this was the option to give up 3 1st rd picks 1 in the next 3 years or 2 this year 1 next year or 1 this year and 2 next year, doesnt really matter to me. I just was wanting to know which move would you guys prefer to see move back with Darnold or trade the picks for Watson.

No to be honest you further emphasised my point. You said how Jamal yielded two firsts and a third (from a super bowl contender so mid 20’s min) and therefore a franchise qb aged 25 would be more like 3 or 4 first round picks. Of which i absolutely agree. 

However.........

As we would be guaranteeing Houston the #2 pick in the draft of which every other team with the possible chance to get Deshaun other than Miami isn’t even close to then that #2 pick can’t be looked as just a first round pick. Because that pick alone could also yield 3 or 4 first round picks just like you said has happened many times before. 

For me I think I’d give up four first round picks for Deshaun. Starting with #23 this year, both 2022’s and our 2023. That way Houston get their 4 first rounders and we can trade down from #2 and make back all/most of those picks. 

Or we can trade #2, #68 and our 1st next year and Houston get either their franchise qb or trade down for a boatload of picks which could work out as much as 5/6 first rounders and change. 

If #2 is included which it should do as that’s fair for Houston then that has to be looked as 3 first rounders alone. So add #68 and next years 1st and that’s a win/win for both teams. 

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

No offense but in no way do you give up Watson a top 5 qb in the league at the most important position in the sport for only 2 first rd picks, its not going to happen even in a PR nightmare they are dealing with

On the surface you may be correct. But you are forgetting that #2 overall is worth a lot more than any 2 FRP outside of the top 15. #2 is worth 2200 pts and the #15 pick is worth 1050 (assumption that the Jets will be around that spot next year). Total is 3250 pts. A team picking in the 20’s would need to spend 4 FRP plus more to get to 3250 pts. Also, Houston will want to select a new QB. If you were GM would you rather pick 2 or >15 to address that?

Too many people devalue the #2 overall pick when talking about Watson but overvalue it when trading down. 

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

On the surface you may be correct. But you are forgetting that #2 overall is worth a lot more than any 2 FRP outside of the top 15. #2 is worth 2200 pts and the #15 pick is worth 1050 (assumption that the Jets will be around that spot next year). Total is 3250 pts. A team picking in the 20’s would need to spend 4 FRP plus more to get to 3250 pts. Also, Houston will want to select a new QB. If you were GM would you rather pick 2 or >15 to address that?

Too many people devalue the #2 overall pick when talking about Watson but overvalue it when trading down. 

your missing the question would you prefer to give 3-4 first rd picks for watson or trade back and keep darnold?

If you guys want to put other factors in you have to then put in will Watson want to waive his no trade clause? Would Miami be willing to make the move and offer 3 18 and next years 1st? I mean there are a ton of ifs I just wanted to know if the fans want to go all in on Watson or build up the team and move back in the draft? Your trying to justify the worth and thats fine but there are to many what IF's when it comes to that. I just wanted to know if you would go all in on watson or prefer to trade back and build the team up that way?

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

It is all guesswork. 

I don't know if Darnold or new qb is their qb but Jets set up the offense same way.  I believe the qb job is Darnold's to lose.

Which is saying very little, because Darnold can lose the job to just about any warm body. This new regime has no ties to Darnold. It's his talent now that has to earn him anything he gets moving forward. His draft pedigree is out of lifelines now.

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

Which is saying very little, because Darnold can lose the job to just about any warm body. This new regime has no ties to Darnold. It's his talent now that has to earn him anything he gets moving forward. His draft pedigree is out of lifelines now.

Darnold's skillset fits in Shanahan offense.   Darnold was JD's top qb for Eagles as draft evaluator.

17 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

your missing the question would you prefer to give 3-4 first rd picks for watson or trade back and keep darnold?

I responded to the quoted part of your response. I also inferred that #2 and a top 15 next year is worth more than multiple late round FRP’s. So to put it succinctly, I would not offer another another first.  I also do not believe Miami will give up on Tua so quickly AND send a FRP or two  

As for the Sam part of your question I am on the fence. I would like to see a new highly regarded QB prospect like Wilson or Fields but if the coaches and JD think Sam can do well in a new system with better weapons then trade down. What I would not want is a non QB selection at 2.

I noticed you did not answer my question.  If you were the GM and needed a QB, would you want pick 2 or >15?

Edited by xrade

If the QB is not starting in Week 1, 2021, then what does it matter whether we pick him 2nd or 23rd or at the top of the second?

Why is it that the guys picked later are often better than the guys picked earlier? We need to be on the right side of that trend moving forward.

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

I responded to the quoted part of your response. I also inferred that #2 and a top 15 next year is worth more than multiple late round FRP’s. So to put it succinctly, I would not offer another another first.  I also do not believe Miami will give up on Tua so quickly AND send a FRP or two  

As for the Sam part of your question I am on the fence. I would like to see a new highly regarded QB prospect like Wilson or Fields but if the coaches and JD think Sam can do well in a new system with better weapons then trade down. What I would not want is a non QB selection at 2.

I noticed you did not answer my question.  If you were the GM and needed a QB, would you want pick 2 or >15?

I am not a fan of the qbs in this draft outside of Lawrence. If I had to take one I would go with Lance as I think it will be the surprise qb to come out. I am not sold on Fields, he hasn't shown much to be sure that he is the 2nd best qb in the draft for me to give up draft picks to move up. So trading up for a qb wouldn't be ideal unless it didn't cost much to move up a few spots to take the risk on Lance. Now if I were the texans I wouldn't move Watson, I would figure out the best way to keep him happy at this point and smooth out the issue. If for some reason I did have to move him it would be to the NFC in which my team wouldn't have to face him 1 or 2 times year. 

Probably not a fan favorite but if I were the jets GM I would trade back and keep darnold. Collect picks for the future and 2021 draft build it up to where I have a reliable defense as I just brought in a defensive mind hc  and build up the oline, maybe bring in a veteran WR if I had the cap in order to help darnold out for a year, then go all in on a qb next year. Give the future qb an opportunity to be successful where you have a reliable defense and a solid oline for protection along with a capable running game. 

25 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Now if I were the texans I wouldn't move Watson, I would figure out the best way to keep him happy at this point and smooth out the issue

I also do not think Watson will be traded. He has not yet requested a trade. I think the FO will try to smooth things over with him.