Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

24 minutes ago, xrade said:

I also do not think Watson will be traded. He has not yet requested a trade. I think the FO will try to smooth things over with him.

I think the Jets did get the right call on HC though. Build up that defense and it could be scary, a name you guys may want to look in to would be Soloman Thomas, him next to Quinnen can be an interesting combo on that dline. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think the Jets did get the right call on HC though. Build up that defense and it could be scary, a name you guys may want to look in to would be Soloman Thomas, him next to Quinnen can be an interesting combo on that dline. 

49ers fans have made it clear Thomas isn't great on the EDGE is better on the interior. Our interior rush is fine.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

49ers fans have made it clear Thomas isn't great on the EDGE is better on the interior. Our interior rush is fine.

iDL is the only really good unit on this team.   We need upgrades everywhere else but iDL. 

• Like 1

There are only two options for me.  Take Wilson at 2 who is a future stud I believe or trade for Watson.  Keeping Darnold isn't even on the radar.

I mean seriously look at it from the broad spectrum.  Let's say we trade 3 FRP and a 3rd for Watson.

Jets trade #2 and #23 this year plus the Sea FRP next year and the Sea 3rd.  That's 3 firsts and a 3rd with one of those firsts landing you Fields or Wilson of your choice.  That's huge for a rebuilding team.

That works out to be 

Jets getting Watson and the Sea 3rd in 2021 for #2 and Jamal.  I think we'd all do that in a heartbeat.  I prefer to get the picks out of the way early and not extend to 2023.  

We'd still have a ton of cap to sign whoever we want.  A Rob being likely given he'd see Watson here.  Plus we trade Sam for a 2 and we still have 4 picks in the top 90 to improve the roster.  How can anyone say no to that?

The other option is fine too.  Take the stud in Wilson and continue to build around him slowly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

There are only two options for me.  Take Wilson at 2 who is a future stud I believe or trade for Watson.  Keeping Darnold isn't even on the radar.

I mean seriously look at it from the broad spectrum.  Let's say we trade 3 FRP and a 3rd for Watson.

Jets trade #2 and #23 this year plus the Sea FRP next year and the Sea 3rd.  That's 3 firsts and a 3rd with one of those firsts landing you Fields or Wilson of your choice.  That's huge for a rebuilding team.

That works out to be 

Jets getting Watson and the Sea 3rd in 2021 for #2 and Jamal.  I think we'd all do that in a heartbeat.  I prefer to get the picks out of the way early and not extend to 2023.  

We'd still have a ton of cap to sign whoever we want.  A Rob being likely given he'd see Watson here.  Plus we trade Sam for a 2 and we still have 4 picks in the top 90 to improve the roster.  How can anyone say no to that?

The other option is fine too.  Take the stud in Wilson and continue to build around him slowly.

I think Wilson at 2 is the most realistic QB scenario right now. Hes a perfect match for the system that we are going to run and it resets the QB contract clock. We keep our assets and let a legit coaching staff develop a kid with arm talent in a very QB friendly system. 

• Like 1

Here's a question that would probably fit in here instead of making a new thread.

Would Sam or Wilson be a better fit for LaFleur's offense than Lawrence?  I feel like with Lawrence you want an aerial attack and revolve the offense around him.  Pretty much like Josh Allen and Watson, just keep attacking through the air and big plays downfield.

LaFleur's offense will be a strong OL and run game to support the QB.  But then again Rodgers is doing well.  Just something I was thinking about.

23 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Here's a question that would probably fit in here instead of making a new thread.

Would Sam or Wilson be a better fit for LaFleur's offense than Lawrence?  I feel like with Lawrence you want an aerial attack and revolve the offense around him.  Pretty much like Josh Allen and Watson, just keep attacking through the air and big plays downfield.

LaFleur's offense will be a strong OL and run game to support the QB.  But then again Rodgers is doing well.  Just something I was thinking about.

It's a WC offense so play action and hitting guys in stride are the biggest things. All guys fit that mold. Darnold should do better in this system and TLaw, Fields and Wilson all should do well in it as well.

37 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I like Sam better than Fields or Wilson but that is just me. I think Sam is a classic WCO type guy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I like Sam better than Fields or Wilson but that is just me. I think Sam is a classic WCO type guy. 

His accuracy this last year said otherwise... but that IMO had other factors in it. Like system, surrounding talent, protection, etc. 

18 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

That works out to be 

I agree with the first line. It's really gotta be one of the two at this point, Darnold is not on my radar either and I would personally be trying to trade him for as much as I can get at this point, although I think a 2nd is probably more than he'll net.

That's a rich price to pay for Watson when you consider not just the draft picks but the contract as well. Sure we might still be comfortable cap wise this year because Watson's hit is only $11M, but that jumps to $37M per year every year remaining thereafter. Then you'd be talking about only having picks 34 and 66 between day 1 and 2, which is a far cry from 2/34/66/87. Personally, I like Wilson enough that I would probably rather keep my surplus of draft assets and cap space and roll with the 2nd overall pick on a rookie contract than invest so much into one player when we have so many other needs. If we could restructure the trade and maybe make it just three firsts spread across three years then maybe I would reconsider because we'd be able to rebuild the team faster thru the draft and not rely as much on free agency, otherwise we lose a lot of cap flexibility while still leaving us with gaping holes on both sides of the ball. 

Either way, just not Darnold.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Who cares? Crying over spilled milk, we aren't getting Lawrence.