Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

There’s no shame in being the 2nd best QB in this class. Which Fields is. Yes it’s devastating to not get TLaw. But let’s not act like Fields isn’t a darn good QB in his own right.

I disagree here. I'm not sold on Fields at all. I like Wilson better but none of these QB are worth the second pick. T Law is the only good QB and the rest are not a franchise QB. I don't think any of them have a chance to be one too. If I had to pick one it would be Wilson. 

17 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I disagree here. I'm not sold on Fields at all. I like Wilson better but none of these QB are worth the second pick. T Law is the only good QB and the rest are not a franchise QB. I don't think any of them have a chance to be one too. If I had to pick one it would be Wilson. 

Agree to disagree then. Bc Fields IMO is a franchise QB. But like any QB... will need pieces around him to succeed.

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

There’s no shame in being the 2nd best QB in this class. Which Fields is. Yes it’s devastating to not get TLaw. But let’s not act like Fields isn’t a darn good QB in his own right.

But is he really second best?  Is there that much of a drop off, if at all, with the other QB prospects?  IMO, trade down, if we can, and still get one of the other QB's who I believe are not much worse.  You watched the NW game, when did he hurt his thumb?  I truly do not know as I was doing other things while casually watching the game.  I am certainly going to be watching the games on Jan.1.  If Fields can show me something in that game, I may change my tune a bit, but as of right now, he is average against good defenses.

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

But is he really second best?  Is there that much of a drop off, if at all, with the other QB prospects?  IMO, trade down, if we can, and still get one of the other QB's who I believe are not much worse.  You watched the NW game, when did he hurt his thumb?  I truly do not know as I was doing other things while casually watching the game.  I am certainly going to be watching the games on Jan.1.  If Fields can show me something in that game, I may change my tune a bit, but as of right now, he is average against good defenses.

Again, basing what you saw this weekend to form your opinion on Fields is lazy.  He has shown throughout his career that he can be elite.  He was playing with a bad thumb, against a highly regarded defense, without his best WR.  Watch his season tape and you’ll change your mind.

Much of the issues revolving around Darnold stems from lack of talent around him. Other than Lawrence, I say trade the pick, move down pick up another pro bowl calibre lineman, then grab the best Center available. Shore up the offensive line, this will cut down on his fumbles which have occurred during his scrambling for his life. Not to mention give him time to throw the ball.

This is not to say that the QB's in this class are not of the same calibre talent wise, but rather, that our QB in 3 years has not had the players to help him be the best QB he can be.

Douglas tried to add a few OL men on the cheap, but at best they were band aides until Douglas can add the players the Jets need to be viable as a playoff calibre team.

If we're honest as Jet fans, the Jets could have 5 wins by now instead of a single win. The LV Raiders game was a gift to LV a game which demoralized a team which lost due to a coaches decision.

The WR's corps which could have had an unknown impact were decimated for most of the year, has shown that Darnold given the tools can be very effective.

Ty Johnson has been a great addition to the Jets running game, I'm not sure how this guy came to N.Y. but kudos to Douglas for finding him as well as grabbing Elfline on the OL.

So, do we need to kickstart anew? Do we want to go down that road? We have a known asset in Darnold, with a great upside, unless it's Lawrence we should pass unless Douglas knows something more than the fan base does.

If we move down and still want a QB in round one, I like the kid from Alabama in round one, as a late pick, or perhaps if he falls into round 2 than make the move.

59 minutes ago, xrade said:

Fields never specified... but it IMO it happened early in the game. When he was talking about it... he made it sound like he played with it hurting him the whole game. The good quality he has, was he never excused it. Said he has to be better even though they won. He’s a good leader. 

I think he will play good against Clemson. But they’ll lose. Just bc Clemson is better.

Call me crazy though... bc I just don’t buy Wilson near these 2 guys.

Its TLaw on a whole level of his own. Then Fields on a different tier. Then everyone else a tier down (I have rankings for them, but quite frankly it doesn’t matter).

Its either we draft Fields or stay with Darnold

The thing no one is talking about that makes me think we 100% are moving on from Darnold is this.......

We have to decide his 5th year option this offseason. His play doesn’t warrant that. So we aren’t going to pick that up if you ask me. Meaning we’d be idiots to not draft a QB when we are selecting this high. And restart with a rookie contract. Trade Darnold for best offer in the NFC. And surround Fields with talent.

55 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

Again, basing what you saw this weekend to form your opinion on Fields is lazy.  He has shown throughout his career that he can be elite.  He was playing with a bad thumb, against a highly regarded defense, without his best WR.  Watch his season tape and you’ll change your mind.

Lazy I am not, sir.  Lazy is just looking at a stat sheet and forming an opinion.  I form my opinions from watching. When did he hurt his thumb? Legit question.  He will be facing tougher defenses in the NFL every game.  He loses his best WR and folds?  Not good, and lets not forget Wilson is also a good WR.  What happened against another tough D (Indiana), Olave was playing that game.  I have watched a couple of OSU games this year. I posted in the draft thread that I thought he looked good against Nebraska (Oct.26 post). When Fields played Penn State, he locked onto his number one option, seems like all game long (you can refer to my Nov1 post in the draft thread).  He was able to do so because was consistently open.  Now I do not blame Fields for that, if your number one target is constantly open, why look anywhere else.  But what happens when there is good coverage on the number one option or the number two option?  Is he going to look for other options?

I have repeatedly stated I am no expert and if JD and his scouting team think Fields should be the next Jet QB and take him at #2, I will be happy because I trust JD as of right now.  I am also going to assume none of us on this site are QB experts either.  I have also asked if the other QB's represent a big downgrade from Fields such that we shouldn't trade and get more draft picks.  I have been met with silence.  I formed my opinions of Fields WATCHING him play, not just looking at stats.  Do not call me lazy because you assume I only watched one game.  How many OSU games have you watched?

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The thing no one is talking about that makes me think we 100% are moving on from Darnold is this.......

We have to decide his 5th year option this offseason. His play doesn’t warrant that. So we aren’t going to pick that up if you ask me. Meaning we’d be idiots to not draft a QB when we are selecting this high. And restart with a rookie contract. Trade Darnold for best offer in the NFC. And surround Fields with talent.

We can still have him play out his last year and potentially tag him if he turns it around with Gase gone.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

69% completion percentage in his career. He’s very accurate and has plenty of arm. Last year had only 3 INTs the whole season, while putting up 41 TDS. Can make all the throws. Has good size and can move. He has 19 Rush TDs to his name as well. This past week was his worst game of his career, and that had everything to do with him hurting his thumb on his throwing hand. He had 2 INTs that game. I’ve watched him this season and 2 of his other INTs weren’t his fault either (both on the WR). So 4/5 INTs there’s a reason for this season.

Point bring he’s not a guy who turns the ball over and scores TDs and has all the tools. No he’s not TLaw... but he’s still darn good.

I think hearing his numbers and watching little bits of him when Iv had some free time make me think he will be a great pick. It just kills me when T-Law has been in our hands all year and then gets ripped from us this late in the year. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Fields never specified... but it IMO it happened early in the game. When he was talking about it... he made it sound like he played with it hurting him the whole game. The good quality he has, was he never excused it. Said he has to be better even though they won. He’s a good leader. 

I think he will play good against Clemson. But they’ll lose. Just bc Clemson is better.

Call me crazy though... bc I just don’t buy Wilson near these 2 guys.

Its TLaw on a whole level of his own. Then Fields on a different tier. Then everyone else a tier down (I have rankings for them, but quite frankly it doesn’t matter).

Its either we draft Fields or stay with Darnold

I only ask about his thumb because I did not see it and I was hoping you did.  I just have this crazy conspiracy theory that he did NOT hurt his thumb but used it as an excuse for his poor play.  Crazy, I know, and probably completely unreasonable on my part.

I have not watched Wilson play at all this year so I can't comment which is why I defer my opinions to others.  I only ask if they are as good as Fields.  I have seen Mac Jones in one game and Trask in a game or two.  Hard to evaluate because the whole team was just dominating.  That domination is why I also have a lower opinion of Bama QB's, they tend to get overdrafted because the whole team is so good.  As for Lance, he played one "exhibition" game this year and did not look good. I would not skewer him for that, but I would be nervous about selecting Lance high in the draft after missing all season and really only having one year of 2019 tape.

16 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

We can still have him play out his last year and potentially tag him if he turns it around with Gase gone.

There’s no way he’s worth tagging next year. Even if he does turn it around. It won’t be enough to warrant a tagged contract.

14 minutes ago, xrade said:

I only ask about his thumb because I did not see it and I was hoping you did.  I just have this crazy conspiracy theory that he did NOT hurt his thumb but used it as an excuse for his poor play.  Crazy, I know, and probably completely unreasonable on my part.

I have not watched Wilson play at all this year so I can't comment which is why I defer my opinions to others.  I only ask if they are as good as Fields.  I have seen Mac Jones in one game and Trask in a game or two.  Hard to evaluate because the whole team was just dominating.  That domination is why I also have a lower opinion of Bama QB's, they tend to get overdrafted because the whole team is so good.  As for Lance, he played one "exhibition" game this year and did not look good. I would not skewer him for that, but I would be nervous about selecting Lance high in the draft after missing all season and really only having one year of 2019 tape.

Tbh I never rated Lance. If I had to do a top few it’d be.

1. TLaw

2. Fields

3. Wilson

4. Trask

5. Jones

6. Lance

And wouldn’t draft anyone in the top 10 outside of TLaw and Fields