Chase Young shows his leadership in unusual ways, but it’s always there

turtle28

This moment with Dwayne Haskins is latest example of Chase Young's leadership

https://sports.yahoo.com/moment-dwayne-haskins-latest-example-213347554.html

Instagram video in article.

Dwayne Haskins, who almost helped Washington complete a major comeback over Seattle, was seen slowly walking toward the home side's tunnel at FedEx Field after postgame handshakes concluded. He, understandably, looked quite upset.

While it'd be interesting to learn what Young said to Haskins in that moment, the visual is really all you need. Young put his arm around the QB and, together, they started jogging into the locker room. That's how you pick up a disappointed teammate.

• Like 2

Nice moment.  I happen to like that Haskins was taking the loss hard.  And certainly awesome that Chase Young lifted his spirits.  That is a team.  I think I saw Haskins firing up the defense at one point during the game too.  This comradery is a small part of it, but it is part of team culture.

• Like 2

I’d finish with Haskins he needs reps and when he gets going he shows that he has the game to do things on the field. Twards the end he made impressive throws. And I’m not usually one to say that the bad play brings about good play but I think he legit cares and try’s and when he settles down he has the skills. We can not afford to get behind on Carolina but I’d keep rolling with Dwayne. If he can be the guy you can go into this draft and really fortify this team. A few piece here or there or really just focus on finishing out the offense with a lineman and pass catchers and find a LB or DB somewhere maybe idk. Chase is a beast and Haskins can play. But It’s like anything else you have to buy into his bad to get to his good and we are very non committed folks when it especially comes to the QB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I’d finish with Haskins he needs reps and when he gets going he shows that he has the game to do things on the field. Twards the end he made impressive throws. And I’m not usually one to say that the bad play brings about good play but I think he legit cares and try’s and when he settles down he has the skills. We can not afford to get behind on Carolina but I’d keep rolling with Dwayne. If he can be the guy you can go into this draft and really fortify this team. A few piece here or there or really just focus on finishing out the offense with a lineman and pass catchers and find a LB or DB somewhere maybe idk. Chase is a beast and Haskins can play. But It’s like anything else you have to buy into his bad to get to his good and we are very non committed folks when it especially comes to the QB

That’s how I feel too. I’ll also add that young QBs are going to have growing pains we all know this, I don’t understand why some fans in here or anywhere out there are more impatient with Haskins than they would be with a QB we would draft in round 1 next year, maybe because this is his 2nd year and they haven’t seen big growth in him? But, he also hasn’t played. The benching helped Haskins no doubt I think, but I also think he’d be much further along the offense if he had been starting the last 2 months but, we wouldn’t have won 4 of the last 5 games. If Haskins had been our starter all year we’re probably sitting at 3 or 4 wins instead of 6 for the year.

I mean people did this same stuff with Kirk Cousins, no matter what he did - even as he showed progress in 2014 & 2015, a lot of fans were never satisfied with Kirk’s development it’s like they expected to just go from developing back up to pro bowl starter automatically and for most QBs that’s not something that happens immediately, it’s a process over the course of a year or two years and it was for Kirk over 3 years.

Also, something that stuck with me yesterday was the all of the analysts giving Drew Brees a pass for looking rusty bc he hadn’t played in a month, well Haskins hasn’t played in 2 months! Yet, no one is saying he was just rusty in the first half bc we couldn’t run the ball to help him out, some of the play calling sucked and MOST OF ALL HASKINS HASN’T PLAYED IN TWO MONTHS!! HELLO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

That’s how I feel too. I’ll also add that young QBs are going to have growing pains we all know this, I don’t understand why some fans in here or anywhere out there are more impatient with Haskins than they would be with a QB we would draft in round 1 next year, maybe because this is his 2nd year and they haven’t seen big growth in him? But, he also hasn’t played. The benching helped Haskins no doubt I think, but I also think he’d be much further along the offense if he had been starting the last 2 months but, we wouldn’t have won 4 of the last 5 games. If Haskins had been our starter all year we’re probably sitting at 3 or 4 wins instead of 6 for the year.

I mean people did this same stuff with Kirk Cousins, no matter what he did - even as he showed progress in 2014 & 2015, a lot of fans were never satisfied with Kirk’s development it’s like they expected to just go from developing back up to pro bowl starter automatically and for most QBs that’s not something that happens immediately, it’s a process over the course of a year or two years and it was for Kirk over 3 years.

Also, something that stuck with me yesterday was the all of the analysts giving Drew Brees a pass for looking rusty bc he hadn’t played in a month, well Haskins hasn’t played in 2 months! Yet, no one is saying he was just rusty in the first half bc we couldn’t run the ball to help him out, some of the play calling sucked and MOST OF ALL HASKINS HASN’T PLAYED IN TWO MONTHS!! HELLO!

It’s painful to watch but as you said if you don’t let the small steps of progress continue to overlap the frustrations of mistakes you’ll never get to the progress past the mistakes if you keep pulling him. But it’s also at the point where they’ve done the best they can to not let his confidence go completely so ultimately I feel like Alex just doesn’t get healthy this week IMO and Haskins get the late nod and if he can start alittle faster and get a win in a winnable game against a good defense then I believe Alex also isn’t healthy week 17 and they give him the chance to beat Philly and really this is his best chance to get confidence. It’s not about the oppontent it’s about growth under pressure. Some people grow under pressure and some sink. This will be the best chance to evaluate if he can rise or if he’s just a game manager. Momentum and confidence and pressure are sometimes all a guy needs to find his feet. We will see as I said I think he gets one more chance this week at the least.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

It’s painful to watch but as you said if you don’t let the small steps of progress continue to overlap the frustrations of mistakes you’ll never get to the progress past the mistakes if you keep pulling him. But it’s also at the point where they’ve done the best they can to not let his confidence go completely so ultimately I feel like Alex just doesn’t get healthy this week IMO and Haskins get the late nod and if he can start alittle faster and get a win in a winnable game against a good defense then I believe Alex also isn’t healthy week 17 and they give him the chance to beat Philly and really this is his best chance to get confidence. It’s not about the oppontent it’s about growth under pressure. Some people grow under pressure and some sink. This will be the best chance to evaluate if he can rise or if he’s just a game manager. Momentum and confidence and pressure are sometimes all a guy needs to find his feet. We will see as I said I think he gets one more chance this week at the least.

Are you saying you don’t think Alex will be healthy enough to go the rest of the year?

Then, Haskins goes and you hope he starts faster the next two weeks, gets the confidence in the first quarter or early second quarter with a great drive instead of late in the 1st or 2nd half.

I mean let’s be honest, if Dwayne just runs the ball or takes an open McKissic for 5-10 yards instead of throwing those two ints yesterday, we probably win that game. You take those two ints away and make them field goals and of course Hop makes his extra points then that’s 8 more pts for us and we win the game vs the Seachickens.

Edited by turtle28

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Are you saying you don’t think Alex will be healthy enough to go the rest of the year?

Then, Haskins goes and you hope he starts faster the next two weeks, gets the confidence in the first quarter or early second quarter with a great drive instead of late in the 1st or 2nd half.

I mean let’s be honest, if Dwayne just runs the ball or takes an open McKissic for 5-10 yards instead of throwing those two ints yesterday, we probably win that game. You take those two ints away and make them field goals and of course Hop makes his extra points then that’s 8 more pts for us and we win the game vs the Seachickens.

Alex was barely healthy enough to go in the first place. I don’t think he laces them up again and it could be a few things. It’s not like he wasn’t gimping around in the Pittsburgh game and I mean what Alex has done with his time here is nothing short of special. But I think Ron knows they legit did what they could to put Haskins in a place to sink or swim at this point getting him into meaniful games. We can do worse then Haskins toolbox by far his arm is elite. Once he gets the belief which could really come in one win this week could literally turn the projection of his career.
One win in a game we need to win could really flip a switch. He clearly needed to be humbled but to me as a person Haskins has to realize he isn’t going to get a better opportunity unless he goes to a New England maybe or somewhere he’d really have to start over to reinvent his career and it could possibly never happen. What he does have is IMO these next however many games to recapture what he had coming out. The dude can spin it. If he plays within himself settles down and plays with his fundamentals and keeps his form as best he can on his throws he should be this teams starter. I just don’t think Alex gets back out because this is Ron finding out what the real focus of our offseason will be and if I potentially cost us our spot then the risk is worth the reward because he is still getting the best out of his players on offense and defense so far with Dwayne. There’s a chance this works out still Ron knows that. 

57 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Alex was barely healthy enough to go in the first place. I don’t think he laces them up again and it could be a few things. It’s not like he wasn’t gimping around in the Pittsburgh game and I mean what Alex has done with his time here is nothing short of special. But I think Ron knows they legit did what they could to put Haskins in a place to sink or swim at this point getting him into meaniful games. We can do worse then Haskins toolbox by far his arm is elite. Once he gets the belief which could really come in one win this week could literally turn the projection of his career.
One win in a game we need to win could really flip a switch. He clearly needed to be humbled but to me as a person Haskins has to realize he isn’t going to get a better opportunity unless he goes to a New England maybe or somewhere he’d really have to start over to reinvent his career and it could possibly never happen. What he does have is IMO these next however many games to recapture what he had coming out. The dude can spin it. If he plays within himself settles down and plays with his fundamentals and keeps his form as best he can on his throws he should be this teams starter. I just don’t think Alex gets back out because this is Ron finding out what the real focus of our offseason will be and if I potentially cost us our spot then the risk is worth the reward because he is still getting the best out of his players on offense and defense so far with Dwayne. There’s a chance this works out still Ron knows that. 

I agree with your analysis of Dwayne, I think he is showing enough to be kept around next year.

a I disagree about Alex not playing again. I guess it all depends on his calf and if it truly is just a calf strain and not something bigger, I think we’ll see him try to play vs the Panthers. If Alex looks bad or doesn’t feel right, it’ll be obvious and I think he’ll be honest about it and then, Dwayne will finish that game.

Same if we’re talking about the Phila game, if needed. If the Phila game isn’t needed for us to get in, and it looks like it won’t be needed, then I think Haskins just plays that game to give Alex more time to get right.

Ron is going to give Alex every chance to be able to go this week and in the playoff game should we get there. I don’t believe for one second that he’s fully going to hand the keys to Haskins now - unless Alex truly can’t play - or next year either. I think Alex is our starter next year as well, unless he just decides to retire, which he may do. He proved the world wrong and made it back, he had us on a 3 game winning streak, but Alex isn’t a quitter so I don’t think he retires just yet.