Panthers fire GM Marty Hurney

.Buzz

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Not a surprise, but a lot of Panthers fans were getting nervous because of how long we kept him around post-Tepper.  But the seeds were already being built, especially with hiring Pat Stewart from the Eagles as Director of Player Personnel.  Not sure if he'll be the immediate replacement.  Either way this is a great day.  Hurney's first round picks ALWAYS slapped, but his contracts were terrible and it seems his 1st round success was more-so because he went with the safe, high floor pick rather than anything else (I guess Cam is the exception, but he was also easily the best QB on the board at the #1 overall pick).  His success past the 1st round was dreadful to say the least.

1 minute ago, RUGmen said:

I won’t pretend I know anything about the Panthers organization, but I am never a fan of hiring a new coach, him coaching well but the teams record not good, and then canning the GM the same year.

Hurney has been around for years.  2002-2012 (got fired), then after Gettleman got sent packing, Richardson's nepotism came storming back and he re-hired Hurney as a "temporary" replacement.  And then it became permanent.

Hurney shouldn't have been brought back, and I think the only reason Tepper kept him around this long in the first place was to take his time in structuring the team.  Same reason I think Rivera was given another year, when it was clear he was on very thin ice given the changing dynamics around him.

Lol that's how bad he is.  He's been our GM for the majority of our franchise's existence (2002-2012, 2017-2020) and he isn't even that well-known.  Only 4 winning seasons in 15 years!!

I wonder if he ends up in Washington.  Rivera is heading their GM search there, so that is an immediate connection.

I didn't even know Hurney was still the GM. I remember chuckling at them hiring him as an interim/temporary GM after they had previously let him go. Didn't realize he was made permanent. Maybe they should hire him again in a couple years, definition of insanity and all.

Dear 6lb 2oz baby Jesus, please send Nick Caserio out to Carolina... so we can avoid Jack Easterby trying to keep himself in Houston by suggesting his buddy join him. I know you don't like Easterby either, so help me out lil baby Jesus.

Amen.

• Like 3