Jump to content

Coombs out as st coord


Recommended Posts

It is a very Lions-esque thing to do. Fire the one guy that has been consistently successful during the course of the season. 

Should he have gotten a slap on the wrist for calling this without authorization? Sure. I'd have kept him on and then let your new GM and HC make the decision on whether the guy fits or not. When the rest of the organization has been a joke it's hard to fault a guy that has been one of the few bright spots from playing on the edge and trying to make a big play. I wonder if it wasn't challenged because Bevell didn't call it in the first place and they didn't want to give Coombs the W on that move with it being so close. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Bevell, Coombs was told to punt, and Coombs decided to call the fake instead. Bevell said that they discuss situations when considering a fake is acceptable, and that this was not one of those situations. Bevell refused to say if other such "things" had happened with Coombs earlier in the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

According to Bevell, Coombs was told to punt, and Coombs decided to call the fake instead. Bevell said that they discuss situations when considering a fake is acceptable, and that this was not one of those situations. Bevell refused to say if other such "things" had happened with Coombs earlier in the season.

Mlive is reporting this isn't the first occurrence, "But this was not a one-time mistake, according to a team source. Coombs has angered people in the organization for behavior that was described as “me-first” by a team source."

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/12/firing-brayden-coombs-is-a-messy-decision-it-was-also-the-right-decision.html

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Mlive is reporting this isn't the first occurrence, "But this was not a one-time mistake, according to a team source. Coombs has angered people in the organization for behavior that was described as “me-first” by a team source."

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/12/firing-brayden-coombs-is-a-messy-decision-it-was-also-the-right-decision.html

I still think that they should have let the new GM and HC make that decision. Suspend him for the next game or whatever to send a message that it isn't cool but he's a young guy who has been in charge of arguably the best unit on the team.

I have to imagine there's a bit of "I know better than they do" in him. There's a bit of immaturity there. It's possible this would have been less of an issue if they had leadership that he felt was a) competent and respected (not Patricia) and/or b) was going to be there long term (not interim HC Bevell). 

I did watch the presser and it did seem like it was not just Bevell but an organizational decision. Rod Wood, Sheila and Chris Spielman took Bevell's feedback and used it as part of the overall decision to move on from him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Mlive is reporting this isn't the first occurrence, "But this was not a one-time mistake, according to a team source. Coombs has angered people in the organization for behavior that was described as “me-first” by a team source."

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/12/firing-brayden-coombs-is-a-messy-decision-it-was-also-the-right-decision.html

And I think this makes a ton of sense. If he really had made calls that went against the head coach, he shouldn't be on the team. It just doesn't work like that.

(I was wondering why they didn't challenge such an important call during the game, as it appeared that the player clearly had the first down. I think this speaks to that, as Karnage pointed out.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I still think that they should have let the new GM and HC make that decision. Suspend him for the next game or whatever to send a message that it isn't cool but he's a young guy who has been in charge of arguably the best unit on the team.

I have to imagine there's a bit of "I know better than they do" in him. There's a bit of immaturity there. It's possible this would have been less of an issue if they had leadership that he felt was a) competent and respected (not Patricia) and/or b) was going to be there long term (not interim HC Bevell). 

I did watch the presser and it did seem like it was not just Bevell but an organizational decision. Rod Wood, Sheila and Chris Spielman took Bevell's feedback and used it as part of the overall decision to move on from him. 

Maybe it leads credence that Bevell is going to be seriously considered for the HC position? At the very least it sounds as if no matter what, the brass doesn't want him here as they are looking for that "one pride" attitude. Interesting developments none-the-less.

Edited by LionArkie
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LionArkie said:

Maybe it leads credence that Bevell is going to be seriously considered for the HC position. At the very least it sounds as if no matter what, the brass doesn't want him here as they are looking for that "one pride" attitude. Interesting developments none-the-less.

I don't think Bevell is being considered (seriously) for the HC role but it wouldn't shock me if they wanted to keep him around as OC. He really hasn't been the issue here in Detroit at all. 

I do think it has everything to do with the "One Pride" culture they're trying to build. Directly circumventing your HC and apparently more "me first" situations that aren't going to fly in a team culture. 

My expectation is that he's going to learn his lesson, get a shot with another team and he'll be successful as a ST guy (and maybe even future HC). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...